Fungus? Ich? Me Overreacting?

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jul 14, 2020
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
1,573
Points
113
Location
Washington State, USA
I was taking update shots of my current QT tank, and noticed a couple of the pearl gourami have white on their fins. What do you guys think this is, and what can I do to treat it. I have aquarium salt and Paraguard on hand, and the petstore is open for another hour.
The fish are all acting normally, swimming g around and picking at the plants and sand. All have healthy appetites. There are 5 pearl gourami and a single guppy that was netted with them.
It is a 30 gallon tank, ph 7.4, 110 ppm hardness, and temp is set to 80°F. Fish have been in for a week.
 

Attachments

  • 20210416_171102.webp
    20210416_171102.webp
    148.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210416_171048.webp
    20210416_171048.webp
    218.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210416_171035.webp
    20210416_171035.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210416_171033.webp
    20210416_171033.webp
    102.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210416_171020.webp
    20210416_171020.webp
    158.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210416_171011.webp
    20210416_171011.webp
    110.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210416_171000.webp
    20210416_171000.webp
    129.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210416_171009.webp
    20210416_171009.webp
    164.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210416_171100.webp
    20210416_171100.webp
    159.5 KB · Views: 150
So I have the heat up at 86°F and added the Paraguard. The worst pearl Gourami has a few more spots, but not a lot more. So far only two have visible spots. Here are some more pictures. The dang fish doesn't ever stop moving...
 

Attachments

  • 20210417_140412.webp
    20210417_140412.webp
    151.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210417_140410.webp
    20210417_140410.webp
    129.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 20210417_140310.webp
    20210417_140310.webp
    166.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210417_140230.webp
    20210417_140230.webp
    64 KB · Views: 136
excess mucous or lymphocystis.

check the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

don't add chemicals
Wasn't anything odd a couple of days ago, as far as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate go, but am running tests again now.

Is there anything to do to help them over this, or will it get better as they settle into the tank? I still have three weeks of QT left before they get moved into the main tank (if this isn't contagious).
 
Ammonia reads 0.
Nitrite reads 0.
Nitrate reads about 10.
API Freshwater Masterkit.
 
Just monitor it and the fish's behaviour. If they start rubbing on things or shaking, flicking, etc, post a short video of them doing it.

Keep an eye on the white bits and post pics each week.

If it's Lymphocystis virus, there is no cure and it's just a matter of keeping the fish healthy and stress free. Then it goes away by itself.

Lymphocystis is contagious to other fish when it is active on a fish. It's active when the white nodules grow on the fins. When the fish recovers from the stress, the nodules fall off and the fish are no longer contagious. It doesn't normally kill fish and is more an indicator the fish has been severely stressed out recently.
 
Just monitor it and the fish's behaviour. If they start rubbing on things or shaking, flicking, etc, post a short video of them doing it.

Keep an eye on the white bits and post pics each week.

If it's Lymphocystis virus, there is no cure and it's just a matter of keeping the fish healthy and stress free. Then it goes away by itself.

Lymphocystis is contagious to other fish when it is active on a fish. It's active when the white nodules grow on the fins. When the fish recovers from the stress, the nodules fall off and the fish are no longer contagious. It doesn't normally kill fish and is more an indicator the fish has been severely stressed out recently.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on them and report on any odd behavior. I really appreciate the help.
 
Update! All of the fish are healthy looking and only one still has any spots, and I have to look very closely to seetank. Since there are only 2 small spots left on one of her fins. Still eating heartily and super curious about what is going on around the tank. I appreciate the help and advice.
 
Lots and lots of plant for Pearl Gourami's
Yeah, I ordered a bunch more vals (be here this weekend) and my anacharis is growing like the weed it is. I have a lot of bucopa and pennywort, two huge swords, hornwort. Floating plants are duckweed, water spangles, frogbit, water lettuce, and some more anacharis and hornwort left floating. I spent a chunk of change on getting more plants for the tank they will be going into.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top