Fun fact of the day

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Today's fact. The APPA (american public power association) tells us that the most common cause of power outages in the US is......squirrels! They have even developed something called "the squirrel index" which is a data tracker that analyzes the timing and patterns of the impact squirrels have on the electrical power systems. The peak of squirrel caused outages is from October to November and may to June

I missed more days. I am really bad at this

No number from 1 to 999 contains the letter "a" in its written form

The king of hearts is the only king in the deck of cards without a moustache

Dreamt is the only word in the English language that ends in "mt"

Your fingernails grow faster on your dominant hand

I missed more days. I am really bad at this

No number from 1 to 999 contains the letter "a" in its written form

The king of hearts is the only king in the deck of cards without a moustache

Dreamt is the only word in the English language that ends in "mt"

Your fingernails grow faster on your dominant hand
lol

false. hundered and one

I didn't know any of them did. lol

I knew that.

To keep up with how much u use it.

lol

false. hundered and one

I didn't know any of them did. lol

I knew that.

To keep up with how much u use it.
Its mathematically incorrect to use the word and so it's one hundred one ;)

How is it mathematically incorrect? You wouldn't write the figures 10 and 1, but you would certainly speak the words as one hundred and one (look at The Dalmations - would Disney lie to us? :< :lol:).

Maybe speaking it as one hundred one is an American thing - certainly in the UK we wouldn't say that.

The Gregg Reference Manual (5th Edition) gives this example: "seven hundred and twenty-five ('and' may be omitted)" - so it seems that you "pays yer money and makes yer choice", at least to a degree. I think it depends, too, how it is used - for instance, I would always say "One hundred and one dalmations", but equally, I would always say "Room one-oh-one". Thinking about it in that sense I suppose I would uses an "and" when counting/ indicating how much or how many, but no "and" in description eg room number, motorway number etc.

There is a little online discussion about this: https://improbable.com/news/2001/aug/math101.html

The two comments I like the best are below:

KIWI SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
I undertook a survey among students and staff in my department. Here are some of the more colorful answers.
---Dr. Matthias Ehrgott, Dept. of Engineering Science, The University of Auckland, New Zealand
I understand that "one hundred one" is the American convention for saying 101. In other English-speaking countries the convention is usually "one hundred and one." [Adrian Croucher]
Is this not just a matter of grammar (in this case English grammar) rather than Mathematics? Ease of pronunciation is probably involved as well. [Don Nield]
Most of the year 3 engineering students think that it's one hundred and one. [Year 3 Students]
Thank you for the opportunity you provided us to, at an early age, affect the root of mathematics. I would like to vote "one hundred one" and if you don't mind recording Mark's vote, he goes for the opposite "one hundred and one". [Golbon Zakeri / Mark Wilson]
In my opinion, it really doesn't matter. However, "one hundred and one" would sound more comfortable. [Wai]
ANARCHIST
I say both are correct; the situation is within the definition of what Computer Scientists call a "don't care."
--David Nicol

So I suppose strictly speaking you would have been more accurate if you had stated that no number quantity below "thousand"contains an "a" in its written form. There. Solved it for you. < ^_^ smug>

false. hundered and one
I was gonna say something similar, nine hundred and ninety nine :)

only in America. In the rest of the English speaking world we use and. :p
eg: the year is two thousand and twenty AD Earth time, not twenty twenty as I so often see on the American news.

Indian yellow paint (a color of oil paint) was originally made from the urine of cows that were only fed mango leaves

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back