frogs, newts, and crabs

joncosmo

Reaction score
I am planning to start an african dwarf frog and/or fire bellied newts and/or fiddler crabs. All of which are at my LFS. I was wondering which, out of these three, could I put together? I was told I could put all three together and it should be okay, but I wanted to asked someone who was experienced first. I researched a lot of info on how to care for all three. So my question is out of african dwarf frogs, fire bellied newts, and fiddler crabs, which combinations could I have in my tank? Please list all possible combinations or just say all combinations if I can have all three occupy one tank. Thanks a bunch for anyone who can help! :D

we have two newts, two african dwarf frogs, and 4 white clouds they are all find and you could definately have more of those two, but i wouldn't suggest the crabs i haven't done research on these but from what i hear they are quite viscious, and don't do well with bottom feeders and your adfs will be at the bottom alot

as i don't know much about they crabs wait for a better answer if you really want them i may be wrong but if you can live without them don't get em

EDIT-> newts need dry land tooo

I'd heard crabs are pains to keep in the tank. They can get out of the tiniest space. Also you need to have your water level lowered enought to allow there to be some "dry land".

Crabs can clim an floating plants to get out of the water but they are still a pain to keep. Them and crawdads.

Opcn

I have two fully grown dwarf frogs living in my tank and they are great. They tend to hide a lot in caves, but when they don't see you moving outside the tank they go for a wander around the bottom of the tank.

Every now and then you see a large bubble head upwards, followed by a mad dash from the frog grabbing air from the top and then heading back down to the bottom of the tank. Great to watch.

I did have a fire newt in the tank too, but he's been moved to my breeder tank as my pakistani loach started to attack him after a few weeks, but he did get on well with the frogs and often shared the cave with them.

As for crabs, my mate had one and it managed to kill his red finned shark by grabbing it's head! Avoid these little buggers unless you have bigger fish that don't take hassle from them. They are mischevious killers!

I have my crab and I LOVE it. Well my tank had a nitrite spike and he almost died, he was on his back. So I went to my LFS and purchased a small container where you keep small insects and bugs, put him in there with the option of air. He hsould do fine and when the nitrite goes back down he'll go back in the tank. If you want the crab just watch for nitrite and if it gets at 10 take him out till it gets back to normal, or watch him closely. Its fun with crabs, you can hand feed them. I took some tweezers and gave him roast beef the other day. He took it and he loved it. Never seen someone so into his roast beef lol

Also, my crab is very peaceful with the other fish. If you got a frog he probably would eat it because he wants all the stuff on the bottum but then maybe not. i called around different places and they told me different things. If yout tank is big then he should be fine but if its small then I wouldnt risk a frog. Other fish maybe. I am looking, as soon as my nitrite is down, hopefuly today after a 50% waterchange, for a catfish I believe it was at my LFs, that eats algea.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back