Freshwater fish for a 50 liters tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Call your hardness 12 dH (it just makes the maths easier). If you use a mix of half tap water and half pure water it will give a hardness of 6 dH. Three quarters tap and one quarter pure will give a hardness of 9 dH.

But as mbsqw1d said you'll have to use the same mix at every water change to keep the water parameters stable.

sadly I'll have to discontinue my project as I had less space available as I thought I did. a shame, really.
now, its 30 liters or nothing, which I honestly don't even know what to use it for.

I'd much rather get nothing than a betta and shrimp arent available here. only small shrimp I've seen is one lone cherry shrimp.
I'll definitely use this info in the future when I'm able to get something bigger, thank you

...unless 2-3 male guppies (if I find some living together) could work?
some sources say the minimum size should be 5 gallons, some say 10. mine is halfway through, 8gal.
also, the ph and gh for them should be just fine as is.

What is the footprint of the tank in question? Some tanks are long and shallow, others are tall and narrow. Swimming length is more important than volume.

mhm. yeah no, it wouldn't work.
tank size is 38x26x41.5cm
that's not wide enough

mhm. yeah no, it wouldn't work.
tank size is 38x26x41.5cm
that's not wide enough
Yes, sadly that’s not by enough for guppies. :/

If you do decide to get a betta in the future, that would be a nice sized tank. A shrimp/snail only tank would also look cool. (Especially if you got tiger shrimp, blue dream, black/white crystal, etc.)

(I also apologize for my post earlier @beedobu, I was trying to make a joke)

dont worry about your post, I was just making sure you guys didn't start any beef haha
I'll think about the betta. shrimp... sure, if I manage to find any. fancy shrimp arent widely available here and japanese shrimp look fairly bland :unsure:
a betta wouldn't attack a snail, would it? im sure it'd tear any shrimp to pieces aaand I'm not into that.

dont worry about your post, I was just making sure you guys didn't start any beef haha
I'll think about the betta. shrimp... sure, if I manage to find any. fancy shrimp arent widely available here and japanese shrimp look fairly bland :unsure:
a betta wouldn't attack a snail, would it? im sure it'd tear any shrimp to pieces aaand I'm not into that.
It all depends on the temperament of the betta.

If you get a snail (per say a mystery snail) the betta may attack its antennas, because it might mistake it for food.

If the betta is aggressive, no shrimp and get a snail like a Nerite, or one that doesn’t have that long of antennas.

If the betta is mellow, you can get mystery snails and shrimp. I think if you can find a betta that is super chill, and betta/shrimp/snail tank would be really cool. :thumbs:

As Pheonix says, bettas have been known to bite the antennae off apple snails, but as you are in the EU you won't (shouldn't) be able to get any of those. Bettas are fine with nerite snails - my most aggressive bettas left them alone. All he did was flare at it when it was on the glass walls.

oh, sweet!
I'll think about it, then.
if I end up getting said tank I'll definitely share it here :) maybe I'll be able to find some cherry shrimp by the time it cycles.
Cherry shrimp are very easy to find, and are pretty cheap to. They also reproduce very fast.

Defiantly keep us updated, this sounds like a cool project. :thumbs:

Wheres the imagination here. @beedobu you have plenty of choices. Pygmy sparkling gourami or just sparkling gourami (may be a little too big) a single one would do well (floo the flowerhorn), if your feeling confident chocolate gouramis of various species and liqourice gouramis (may need slightly softened water), pea puffer, there are many nano schooling fish such as CPD's, maybe eyespot rasbora (might be a bit big), lake inle rasboras in general, lambchop rasboras, and the list goes on...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back