Freshwater fish for a 50 liters tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beedobu

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a beginner that's planning on purchasing her first 55 liter tank (aquascape 55 start, to be specific). that's about 14 gallons.
I'd like to get either a small school of male guppies, mixed cardinals or mixed neon tetras. I was told for that size tank I could get them, but I shouldn't get more than 4, but i should keep at least 10. that's very conflicting info. what should I do? do I have other options that isn't a lone betta? I'd like to house them with a freshwater snail, if possible.

What is the pH, GH, and KH of your water? You can find this out, by going to your local water provider or by calling them. (We need actual numbers. Ex. “dGH or ppm”)

Neon tetras do need to be in groups of 6 or more, and so do cardinal tetras. Sorry to tell you, but a 14g tank is to small.

You may be able to do a small group of guppies, if your water hardness is in the right range.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Yes, you certainly are getting conflicting information. To best answer your question on fish, we need to know your water parameters for the source (tap) water. GH (general or total hardness) is important as some fish need harder water, others softer, others sort of middle of the road. The pH also. GH is not going to change in the aquarium so once we know what it is, and the pH helps, we'll be good to go.

Second issue is tank size. You are going to be restricted to what we term nano fish because they remain quite small at maturity. Most of these will be wild caught so water parameters will be important. Most of these fish are also shoaling species, meaning they need to be in a group. Some species can manage with as few as six or seven, while other species need more.

That's not a problem! I'm just seeing what I can get at the moment, I haven't purchased a tank yet, so I'm just seeing my options for the space I have available. I'm much more concerned with keeping the right kind of fish than getting a specific breed ;)
as for water parameters, I'll let you know asap.

That's not a problem! I'm just seeing what I can get at the moment, I haven't purchased a tank yet, so I'm just seeing my options for the space I have available. I'm much more concerned with keeping the right kind of fish than getting a specific breed ;)
If you would like to keep neon tetras, I suggest getting a bigger tank. (As you have no already purchased the one in question)

I would go for a 20g long, or a 29g if you have space.

What are the dimensions of the tank you're looking at because if its a relatively long tank it may be suitable for neons.

again, I'm not looking specifically for neon tetras, I'd be fine anything that won't restrict me to keep only one fish given it can happily live in how much space I have available. sadly I have limited space and I really can't afford a 20 gallon, especially if it's long. dwarf shrimp were an option I was considering....until I visited some local stores and realized nobody is selling them in my area :X
the tank I was planning on getting is 55x30x34.8 cm. how many male guppies could comfortably live in a tank of that size?

oh, I just thought of something. are there any reasonably sized cleaner fish I could keep there if I forget about keeping any more than 2 other nano fish? I dont know what genius they belong in so I'm not sure where to look for info. thank you so much for your patience.

you got it.
Sadly your tank is to short for neon tetras, they need a tank with a base dimension of 60cmx30cm, preferably larger.

oh, I just thought of something. are there any reasonably sized cleaner fish I could keep there if I forget about keeping any more than 2 other nano fish? I dont know what genius they belong in so I'm not sure where to look for info. thank you so much for your patience.
Snails? Possibly shrimp? No actual fish that I could think of.

gotcha. snail it is then.
if guppies are alright, can I have a range of how many I could deal with? do you have other recommendations?
as for the aquascaping, are there any types of organic decorations I should avoid?

gotcha. snail it is then.
if guppies are alright, can I have a range of how many I could deal with? do you have other recommendations?
as for the aquascaping, are there any types of organic decorations I should avoid?
I need to eat, I will get back to you tomorrow. Another member may answer, but I will throw in my two cents anyway. :)

Cleaner fish really do not exist. There are a very few catfish that will graze algae, but only common not problem, and most fish will find food that falls to the bottom, though you don't want this to be normal. Shrimp and snails do the real cleaning.

This has the dimensions of a standard 15g. A 20g standard (or high) has the same footprint and offers more options, but not by all that much. The surface area (of the substrate for fish, water surface for gas exchange) is the important factor. But with nano fish you could have for example a group of 9-10 of "x" and a group of 9-10 of "xx" and maybe a group of 10-11 pygmy cories. But the species will depend upon the parameters. Guppies, five or six perhaps. Endlers are nano fish and if the water is hardish would be good here.

But with nano fish you could have for example a group of 9-10 of "x" and a group of 9-10 of "xx" and maybe a group of 10-11 pygmy cories. But the species will depend upon the parameters. Guppies, five or six perhaps.
i dont think I understand. does that mean that if I have enough space for 10 nano fish I can get more because they're shoaling fish and dont mind sharing space? wouldn't that make the aquarium too crowded?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back