April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aquamaniac

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello
Here  I am again with a new journal.
This tank is not yet working. I have already set up the hardscape and substrate and I am moving to the plants in the next few days. But I decided to make a journal about the development of it since planning stage.
Since my return to fishkeeping and planted tanks in 2011 I have sticked to the personal rule of do one year projects and starting a new one every year. This is about to change though.
These are my last two projects:

Desired return 2011

mydesiredreturn2011.jpg

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/373680-my-tank-120x50x40/?p=3125390&fromsearch=1#entry3125390

Green Hills 2012

greenhillsver20septembe.jpg

thegreenhills20october.jpg

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/396691-my-planted-tank-the-green-hills/

Both these projects were on the high-tech side, with pressurized co2,EI fertilization,fertile soil and high light ( from 0,5 watts/litre up to 1watts/litre).
This time i decided to turn my 240 litre high-tech into a low-tech.
Reasons to do this?
1-I don’t have the time for maintenance that a fully High-tech requires.  
I love High-tech tanks with lush and healthy growth, but the fact is these tanks take a lot of time to keep it like that. Between trimmings, water changes, fertilization, and everyday checking of everything to make sure there’s no problem they do take time.
Do not misunderstand me I love to do this, but with work, kids and all the affairs of everyday life I find sometimes I do not have the time to keep up with regular maintenance. And High-techs do tend to be unforgiving if left on their own design.
 I need to have a tank that can endure time, a tank that can stay healthy even when my life is too busy for it.

2-I need to finally have a project that sticks to a tight budget.
My wife’s 200 litre low-tech planted tank, was a very cheap tank to assemble, it has now reached it’s one year of life, she hardly loses any  time with it  and  it is still going strong, having already supplied plants a couple of times to other tanks.
After a year with this tank she obviously questions  my need to use pressurized co2,high-light,heavy dosing of fertilizers and plants that simply die or look bad at the minimum mistake.
Besides for some time now I have evolved beyond the concept that you can only have a beautifull scape if you go hight-tech.

3-This is the main tank of the house.
Basically this is the main tank of the house, right in the middle of the living room; it’s also the biggest one I’ve got. My reasoning is that it needs to look well all the time, because it’s in an area of the house where everyone can see it, it’s big so it’s a lot of work to maintain and it requires a lot more plants,hardscape,fertilizer,light,co2 which makes it more costly.
I have a small 75 litre cube that I might use in future High-tech adventures if I feel the need to have one. But for now this 240 litre tank High-tech days are over.

Transforming a High-tech into a low-tech:
There is no rocket science here I think. But to make it a low-tech I had to downgrade a bit.
1-Removed the pressurized co2 system.
Basically if there’s co2 it’s high-tech, specially pressurized. My experience with co2 is that it can be as rewarding if used properly as unforgiving if misused. Basically with it you get the fast growth and ability to keep a much wider variety of plants but at the same time you get a much bigger challenge.
It normally requires stable flow of co2, good flow around the tank, more light, and fertilizers and a very tight control over these to avoid problems.
By removing my co2 system I lost the ultra-fast growth and reduced the amount of plants I can actually keep in the tank but increased its stability.

2-Light downgrade
This tank had an over the top light system of 4x54 watts T5. Most of the time I only used half of it in my previous projects but it’s still too much light for a non-co2 tank and I didn’t want to cause any unbalance that would lead to algae. That light in itself will not lead to algae but the lack of enough co2 will. Most algae problems are related to low or unstable Co2 , not enough flow or dirty tank.
I wanted to make this tank cheap so going out of my way to buy a new light even if it’s a weaker one just would not do.
Luckily for me I still had in the basement the original hood and light system that came with the tank.
It was never used and it’s been collecting dust for two years.
After cleaning the dust of it and some testing it is still working so I removed the high-light system and restored the tank to its original form with a hood.
Tank looks like this again:

my240litretank2011.jpg

I reckon that it will save me some time also in not having to restore evaporated water since the tank is now completely closed and my high-tech projects always had some crazy evaporation.

Other changes:
My previous project was using two canister filters, a  Fluval 305 and a Eheim 2215. This was not just for enhanced filter capacity but also for enhanced flow. Something my tank always had a problem.
The tank is a fluval roma 240 and the filter is connected to two holes in the bottom of the tank. Problem is that with this setting the intake of my 305 was always half way up the tank and it had problems picking up rubbish in the substrate and flow was also not the best.
So on my last project I added a eheim 2215 to the setting.
However my tank has been deactivated for 4 months so this filter was moved to my wife’s low-tech because she only had an internal filter.
So to start I will only use the Fluval 305.

Setup
Tank: Fluval roma 240
Size: 120x40x50 (aprox.240 litres)
Lighting: 2x40 watts T8 (original fluval roma hood system)
Filter: Fluval 305
Heater: Fluval Mirrored M
Substrate:
 Tropica aquacare capped with Tesco cat litter for the planted areas
Argus play sand for non-planted areas.
Hardscape:
 Redmoor wood
Lots of rocks but I can’t remember the name of them I’ll  check next time I go to the fish shop and put it here.
All this hardscape is used from my previous projects so I did not have to actually spend any on it. Or break my back carrying it  half way through London from the fish shop.
Choosing the substrate
I have mentioned before I wanted to keep this tank under budget so it would never be any specialized type of substrate.
So I have decided to use tesco lightweight low dust cat litter. I have used it in the last high-tech with good results so the choice was obvious. It’s a pain to clean, but last time I had clear water from day one so I just repeated the formula again. I washed the litter as much as possible. 
You cannot use just any type of cat litter. The one I used is made of clay not much different from akadama.
You can find the one i used here:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265235247

It’s been used by planted tank people for quite some time, some successful others not so successful, I tried it last time and was happy enough to give it another go.
Besides at 3£ every 10 Kg it’s the cheapest thing around.
I used Akadama in the past, a type of substrate used for bonsai’s and honestly I do think it’s better than the cat litter but it is a pain to wash too and even though it was very cheap some years ago it’s becoming expensive and rare to find these days.
Because of the type of layout I want to do I will need to do different types of substrate. I wanted to use sand for the other one and the obvious choice was argos play sand.
It’s cheap and inert and to be honest looks great in the tank. In the past I have used silica sand because in Portugal I could just go to the extraction and get it for free. But in London I have no such chance so last year we used argos play sand on my wife’s low-tech.
It’s actually much better than silica because it’s much less dusty so it’s easier to clean, and the yellow colour resembles beach sand much more than the clear white silica.
In time silica also gets a more yellowish colour because it gets dirty  but play sand gives that effect from the go.  I will use this only on non-planted areas, beware that sand compacts and makes it more difficult for plant roots to spread but to be honest I planted heavy with silica in the past and the plants never complained one bit. They just kept taking over the tank.
At 2.99£ 15kg bag this is the cheapest thing I could find. And considering it’s in my opinion the best sand around to use it’s a bargain.
As said before you can use silica, play sand or pond filter sand to get the same effect. Being that silica is clear white while the others have more yellowish colour.

You can find the sand i used here:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650574.htm

Fertile soil yes or no
Most  low-techs do not use this or some don’t even use any form of fertilization and the plants live only on organic waste from the fish.
I decided to use the fertile soil because at least for a while will fit in the low hassle idea I have for this tank. I am hoping that the fertile soil will stop the need for me to do any fertilization for quite some time , it was done on the 200 litre low-tech I assembled for the Mrs. And plants have grown with no form of fertilization apart from the fertile soil during the entire year.
Or to be honest it’s just that I’m just so stubborn and used to this for years that I couldn’t just let go of the idea of using it again. Anyway the chosen fertile soil was tropica aquacare, hardly what I would call a bargain, but still one of the cheapest around for its quality. And I’ve had good experiences with it.
The fertile soil will be capped by the cat litter and I will plant only in this area.

This is the one i used:

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/products/aquatics/substrate-system/tropica-plant-growth-substrate-2-5-litre

Best alternatives are : any fertile soil from specialized companies like ADA but  these are expensive.
Cheaper alternatives:
Dirt: For a while now I have seen  people that use dirt as a fertile soil. I have never used it myself but apparently this works for a lot of people. It has its disadvantages. First you need to really cap it off really good with good amount of substrate so the dirt does not move in to the water column otherwise you’ll have some severe algae blooms. The other one is if you like to constantly rescape than cheaper is not better for you as the constant uprooting of plants will make a mess.
Worm castings: This method I used before I moved to the UK.  It’s a cheaper alternative I first heard of being used in Brazil, and later adopted in Portugal many other planted tank enthusiasts (including me) who could just not afford specialized substrates.
 It’s probably the most fertile soil I have ever used. This thing just keeps going for ever and ever, I used to have to cut plants every two days or they would start coming out of the tank.
Not everything is perfect though, it’s the only fertile soil I ever used that requires cleaning, and it’s the hardest thing I ever cleaned.
Needs to be capped really well, you really don’t want this in the water column. ( capped it off with silica sand).
For the first weeks to a month the water was yellow cloudy, but with a good water change regime it was crystal clear in a few weeks.
Brown algae blooms in the first weeks were also a big problem.
After that no problems at all even with rescapes.
Never found it selling in the UK anyway.
Picture of a 120 litre tank I had that used this method:
Evergreen Forest 2006
evergreenforest2005.jpg

Plants
I am still researching on the plants. So it’s still not a 100% confirmed.
Anubias
Anubias nana
Anubias petite
This ones are confirmed, reason is because I plan to attach as many as I can to rocks and wood , also because I have a tank here with more than enough cuttings to supply after one year of growth.

Valisneria Gigantea 
Java Moss
Bacopa australis
Cyptocoryne wendii Brown
Java fern
Sagittaria Stubulatta
Egeria densa
These are some of the plants that if I am not wrong will do well in low-techs but I am still researching this so they are not confirmed.
I am open to suggestion on good plants to keep on low-techs preferably from people that actually kept them successfully.
Fish
Angelfish
It’s my favourite fish; I have had them   in many of my planted tanks. On last year’s project though I gave up on them for a desire to try something new and for the fact that smaller fish normally have a better  visual impact on planted tanks. This time I will ignore this and go back to my beloved angels.
Corys  (corydora albino)
Another of my favourites that was sacrificed lately to my desire to try and grow carpet plants, since I am not trying to grow any carpet they will be back in this project.
Rams (ramirezi)
Been saying for years I want to try them and so far I have not. This time I want to go for them, they’ll be fine together with the angels as I’ve seen people grow them together before.
Ottos (ottocinclus affinis)
Even in a low-tech they might come in handy. Besides I have become acostumed to having them in my setups.
Amano Shrimps
My new passion, out of my trying new species last year a new passion has emerged. I love these tireless workers in my tank, they are useful yes but for me it’s more how much alive the tank looks with them running around non-stop.
My problem is I never used them with angels and I am not sure if they will see the shrimps as supper.
Maybe some neon’s or rummy nose tetras I had them before with angels and there was no problem. The trick is to add them with the angels when they are still young and small to get accustomed. And also have a lot of hiding places.

Setting up the tank:

newprojecthardscapeandp.jpg

newtankprojecthardscape.jpg

This is how the tank looks so far. All the hardscape i had is in place. The substrate is also in place. I do think the left side is rather empty so i'll try to get some more rocks or wood to fit there. After that i'll move into the plants to see if i can get the tank moving as fast as possible.

For those who reached the end of this long post.
Thanks for reading.
I'll update as soon  as i have more progress.

Liking the arrangement. You've made the stones and wood look very natural, and you've made a lot out of the wood you have there.

DrRob said:
Liking the arrangement. You've made the stones and wood look very natural, and you've made a lot out of the wood you have there.

Thanks. I did try to use all i had in a way that it would fill the tank as much as possible.  
In past projects due mostly inexperience and being a bit stubborn i did ignore how important a well planned hardscape is. And how much of a positive impact it can have on the tank. 
Lately i have come to realise that.
For this tank want i to have a hardscape that really defines the layout for various reasons. One because without the fast growth of a high-tech i can't only trust the plants to give form to the scape, second because i have come to understand that the best layouts are those where the hardscape and plants complement each other to form a natural layout.
The last reason was i wanted to use two different substrates and wanted to create a natural barrier for them not to mix, i wanted that barrier to look and feel part of the layout, and not just something thrown in there to keep the sand from the cat litter.
It's part of my evolution and learning process i think. But i really like the way it looks and can only hope that the plant scape lives up to it.
And the funny thing is in a previous project "Desired Return" from 2011 i wanted so much to do something similar to this, but i lacked the knowledge to use the hardscape i had available and it turned out something quite different.  

Aww looks very good so far, I like the way its scaped sand/wood/rock looks very nice.. Look forward to following this!

Yep, looking good so far. I will be interested to see how this progresses.

Sahira said:
Aww looks very good so far, I like the way its scaped sand/wood/rock looks very nice.. Look forward to following this!
Lunar Jetman said:
Yep, looking good so far. I will be interested to see how this progresses.
Thanks. I will give updates on the progress.

I will also be keeping a close watch on this thread, as I have just started to plant my tank, havent had much luck in the past. Hopefully this time I can make it work.

Good luck with it mate.

Regards
Jack

Day 1

This weekend I decided that the time had come to start the tank. I had mentioned before that I was using a batch of anubias removed from another tank. And that’s what i did; I wanted to see how much anubias was available and what kind of layout I could come up with them before ordering the extra plants to finish the assembly.
So I took the anubia cuttings from the other tank and started playing with them around the hardscape to see how they would fit and this is what I came up with.
forestriverpic0414apr20.jpg

forestriverpic0314apr20.jpg

forestriverpic0214apr20.jpg

forestriverpic0114apr20.jpg

The cotton line and some of the pieces of clay I used to attach the anubias can be seen in some places but with time the plants will cover it.
Also I am now looking for plants to order to fill up the background of the tank.
So far I will use:
Amazon swords – I have not used one in years so this time I want some.
Crytp wendii brown – to give some contrast colour to the tank as in a low tech red plants will be very hard to grow but this crypt is very easy to grow.
Java moss – (maybe) to be honest I think the anubias to a great job of integrating the hardscape with the plants into one layout so I don’t really know if I want to cover more of the hardscape with moss. I do not want a full green tank, I  want the rocks and wood to blend with the plants but at the same time stand out by themselves and not be fully hidden behind the plants.
I am still not sure about the rest of the plants.
I hope you guys like how the tank is coming up for now as I surely am enjoying.

looking very tidy indeed, I like the idea of being able to see the hardscape as well as the plants.

Good luck with it.

Regards
Jack

Hi again

Here's another update

So a couple of weeks have passed since I started the tank.

I’ve ordered some plants online but due to amazon swords being unavailable I had to wait a full week. But fair play to the green machine staff their communication was excellent and I was informed of the delay shortly after ordering the plants, they gave me a date of when the plants would arrive and it was delivered on the exact day promised.
So the plants ordered were:
Amazon swords
Cryptocoryne wenddii brown
Bacopa Australis

I ordered some more plants but it was not for this tank. I’ve been setting up another tank right next to this one at the same time. I’ll post about this second project in another thread.
Anyway some might wonder that it’s a small amount of plants  to fill in the gaps. It is indeed but the fact is that the anubias did fill in the tank beautifully and I wanted to use amazon swords which when grown take a lot of space for themselves. So I decided to get a small amount for now, see how they blend in with each other as they grow and add some later if needed to fill in any empty spaces or layout corrections.
So I used the swords to fill in the gaps in the background in both the right and left side and added the cryptocoryne in the midground between the swords and the anubias. Problem is that the anubias are fully grown and the cryptocoryne for now is small (you can hardly see them behind the anubias) but when grown they will get taller than the anubias and hopefully the brown colour will make a fine contrast between the amazon swords and the anubias.
To finish up I wanted a stem plant and bacopa australis was the choice. I want to try to make a bush of this in the empty space behind the wood on the left side, with time it will grow I’ll plant the cuts to get this effect.  On the first day I could hardly spot them behind the wood but its been 5 days and they are already showing a very good growth rate specially for a low tech.
I have plans to use this plant’s cuttings to fill in some gaps on the on the right side of the tank too but for now I’ll have to wait for growth.
When the plants arrived  I looked at them and felt that it was not enough to fill not even half of the empty space, but in truth it was more than enough because I need to leave space for the new plants to grow and this is not a high-tech so the need to fill in every corner of the tank to avoid algae is not needed.
This is how the tank looked right after planting:

forestriver005250413.jpg

forestriver006250413.jpg

forestriver007250413.jpg

forestriver008250413.jpg

forestriver009250413.jpg

forestriver010250413.jpg

As I mentioned before most of the new plants apart from the amazon sword do not have the size to stand out behind all full grown anubias but with time, patience and some healthy growth it will get there.
And the next picture is the tank today. Sorry about the reflection, I usually take my tank pictures at night but this one was taken just a few minutes ago.

forestriver011290413.jpg

Anyway it’s enough to see where I want the layout to go as you can already see the bacopa with a good growth for only five days on a low-tech and that’s the area where I want to try to make a bush effect out if it.
The cryptocoryne is also visible but this one is actually undergoing the famous cryptocoryne melt that this plant normally undergoes when is introduced to a new tank. So it will take a bit more for this plant to start really showing an idea of how it will look in my tank.

Java moss: yes or no?
Last time I mentioned my doubts about using java moss or not. I still think I don’t want to hide anymore of the hardscape but on the other hand in time I might change my mind, java moss in the proper places can give that aging look to a scape,  something that this tank does not have now but in time who knows.

Setup Update:

Tank: Fluval Roma 240
Tank size: 120x40x50 (aprox.240 litres)
Lighting: 2x40 watts T8 (original fluval roma hood system)
Filter: Fluval 305
Heater: Fluval Mirrored M 300 watts
Substrate: Cat litter and argos play sand
Fertile soil: Tropica Plant Growth (formerly known as aquacare)

Plants:

Anubias
Anubias nana
Anubias petite
Echinodorus Bleheri (Amazon sword)
Bacopa Australis
Cryptocoryne Wendii Brown

Hardscape: Redmoor wood and rocks ( don’t know the name)
Cycling this tank
This tank is currently cycling. I am trying a fishless cycle method but I am using fishfood as a source of ammonia.
I understand it’s much slower this way than actually dosing ammonia but I am not in a rush.
So my last test shows presence of ammonia, but no nitrites yet. I also have a huge amount of nitrates which means I’ll have to do a water change; my water always showed presence of nitrates right out of the tap, but in other projects the fast growing stem plants, heavy planting and the fact that it was high-tech kept those in check. Anubias unfortunately are not heavy feeders so I’ll have to start a water change regime at least until the tank stabilizes. On the other hand I have no algae, plants even the anubias are showing healthy growth.
I am probably going to try to speed up the cycle with some media from one of my other tanks. It’s just that the flu got me this weekend so I did not feel well enough to mess around with the tanks.
Just to finish when I was planting the anubias I decided not to attach them to the actual rocks, the rocks keep the different substrates separate and I did not want to mess around with them too much, there are many ways to attach them either to rocks, wood, pieces of clay among others. To attach them you can use fishing line, cotton thread, rubber bands or some types of superglue.
I had a lot of cotton thread from the wife around so that was the obvious choice but to attach it I wanted something small that could be invisible after growth,  i did not want to buy wood or more rocks specifically for it and some online shops sell some pieces of slate to attach plants to but  they are expensive for the amount sold.
So I bought a clay pot, broke it in small pieces and voila I had my small pieces of slate to attach my plants and it only cost me 79P. I have plenty of spares for future projects.
Some people might have better ways but this has worked for me. Cheap and  effective.

Hope you like the tank.

I’ll update when I have more pictures.

It's very nice. I love anubias.
The tank is looking lovely as it is but I was wondering if you are going to use something tall at the back, like cryptocoryne balansae or vallis for example?
And maybe floating plants will help with the balance as these are all slow growers.

Hi Snazy

For now the tank is staying as it is. My main focus is getting it cycled and add fish.
Been having problems cycling this tank, could not find ammonia. Tried homebase, boots ,wilkinson and no luck.
As mentioned before I was doing fish food but i did not like the results and mess. So I found ammonia on ebay and will use that and some cycled media I finally convinced the missus to let me take out of the filter running her tank.
So for now that is the focus.
With time I will do rearrangements. I am trying to find an extra piece of wood to put on the left side of the tank but it as not been easy.I am looking for a specific size and shape.
The plants in the back will be arranged but depends on how the amazon swords, crypt wendii brown and bacopa develop. You see in the picture they are covered by the full grown anubias but In time they will become taller than the anubias and cover the background.
For the record today the bacopa australis reached the height of the amazon sword and its clearly visible now.

Hi

It’s time for another update.
In terms of scape there’s actually not many changes after all this is a low-tech. But there’s been some developments in the past few weeks.

Cycling

The tank is now cycled. As I mentioned before I started with a fish food type of cycling but half trough it I got hold of some ammonia on ebay and started using that. I also got hold of some cycled filter media to seed my filter.
All together the cycle took a bit more than a month but I admit that as soon as I started ammonia things really started to take off it took less than a week after that for my nitrites to go up. And at this point I got the cycled media and added it to the filter. A few days after my tank was eating all the ammonia I was dosing in less than 24 hours and the nitrites went  back down to zero.
I kept doing this for some more time just to make sure everything was alright. At the same time I did a big water change to remove the entire nitrate build up to start preparing the tank to receive fish.
The day before getting the fish I stopped dosing ammonia and did a big water change.
There were some side effects to the ammonia dosing though, some of the plants experienced some minor melt and are now recovering and I did get a lot of brown algae in the entire tank. This started right after I started dosing ammonia so I figured it was probably the cause.

PH

My PH is now at a stable 7.6 which is a bit too much for some of the fish I want to keep. So I decided to try peat to lower my PH. I got some peat balls from ebay.
 I was expecting this to really work, I have four of these peat balls in, two in the filter and two in the actual tank.
I was really hopping this to work but so far it’s been almost a week and it’s still stable at 7.6.
Guess peat does not work with London water or my rocks and gravel are creating a buffer effect.
I mentioned wanting to have angels in the past, this is not ideal PH but I’ve had them before and as long it stays stable they can adapt so no problems there. Thing is with time I wanted to introduce some Rams to the tank and with this PH they are definitely out of the question.
Maybe the peat will still work, to be honest is the first time I use it so I don’t really know how fast it should work.

Fish

So I went to the fish shop the other day and given that the peat was not working decided to start adding some fish.
So I added:
5 Rummynose Tetras
3 Corydoras albino
I did not add anything else because I went there on a Sunday and the fish selection was kind of low. They did not have Angelfish which is my choice of a show fish for this tank so I’ll be adding more fish soon.
I am planning to have some more corys atleast 6, and to add about 15 more Rummy nose to try to do a school of them. As for the Angelfish I will add six into the tank.

Plants

It’s a low-tech so don’t expect many changes here.
Bacopa australis is growing and being propagated by replanting the cuttings.
All other plants show very slow growth.
Started dosing 5ml a day  Easycarbo to add co2 and EI dosing.

Here are some pictures:

forestriverpic20190513.jpg

forestriverpic21190513.jpg

forestriverpic22190513.jpg

forestriverpic23190513.jpg

forestriverpic24190513.jpg

Hope you like it.

Here is a video of my tank after adding 6 Angelfish.

http://youtu.be/6fqrXL2VJ-4

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back