April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,

I set up my FX6 on my new 193 gallon a couple of days ago. It's been running without issue since then, until the last hour when the filter itself is making a whining sound and the output hose is "shuddering" for want of a better word. It`s almost like it`s convulsing and trying to throw up.

I`ve uploaded a video of what I mean (hopefully the lighting is sufficient to see what I mean). Any suggestions?

The tank has no stocking yet although I was (up until this) going to do so this evening.

Thanks.

Afternoon everyone,

I set up my FX6 on my new 193 gallon a couple of days ago. It's been running without issue since then, until the last hour when the filter itself is making a whining sound and the output hose is "shuddering" for want of a better word. It`s almost like it`s convulsing and trying to throw up.

I`ve uploaded a video of what I mean (hopefully the lighting is sufficient to see what I mean). Any suggestions?

The tank has no stocking yet although I was (up until this) going to do so this evening.

Thanks.
Whats the output like? Any bubbles coming out of the outlet? Can you remove the impeller and have a look make sure its in good condition. Is the filter brand new?

Check your motor/impeller setup against this vid

Whats the output like? Any bubbles coming out of the outlet? Can you remove the impeller and have a look make sure its in good condition. Is the filter brand new?

Check your motor/impeller setup against this vid

Thanks. No bubbles apart from the initial purge when you plug it in. Just the whining/vibrating.#

I took it all apart, cleaned out the impeller (which was spotless). Put it all back and the same thing. It's brand new, yes.

I`ve since trimmed a little bit of excess hose off of the inlet as there was an ever so slight "dip" in the hose at one point (and just in case the intake was for any reason slightly longer than the output, although it is situated centrally so shouldn't have been. Initially it didn't seem to make any difference but over the last 30 mins it has fallen silent. I thought at first it had packed in but it hasn't. It appears like normal service has simply resumed...

I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend.

Thanks for the attempted assist! 👍

Afternoon everyone,

Thanks.
I would recommend taking it apart, removing the impellor and then putting it back in, then check the intake and out flow tubes for any obstruction. Then put it all back together and see if you still are having the same issue.

That shuddering bit in the video looks like the motor is surging (losing power then getting it back). Monitor it over the next few weeks and if it does it again, take it back and swap it for another filter because it could have a dodgy motor.

Also check the impellor assembly. Some have plastic washers and some have rubber grommets. If these bits are missing, the impellor can become unbalanced and not sit exactly where it is meant to and this can cause the motor to surge and pump then stop them pump then stop.

A cracked impellor shaft can do the same thing. If you have a white ceramic impellor shaft, make sure it isn't chipped or broken. If it's stainless steel, it won't be a problem unless it's bent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back