Fluval Flustration!

My goal is to be able to replace it weekly! Right now I'm rinsing the filters that are in it 2 to 3 times a day and it rinses straight mud. Definitely a big learning curve with this stuff. Thanks for the Hobby Lobby tip :)
I would monitor it closely at first, you don't want it to clog up and allow your filter to overflow.

Maybe a little bit but nothing long term. Also, invest in some basic planted tank tools. A set of long tongs makes planting much neater and less invasive, so less likely to kick up particulate or mulm.

Got these, I swear you could do surgery with them! LOL :) I am so relieved to hear that it gets less cloudy in time when you add plants! Thank you :)

Screenshot_20220102-161929_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Around $8 at Walmart, a roll lasts me about 1 1/2 years, with 5 HOB's, weekly water changes...I ditched nasty sponges years ago, just use a piece of this cut to size, after every water change...replace weekly with a fresh piece...I use the space I save in my HOBs for additional ceramic media...easy peezy
Hmmm, I didn't see batting at HL, or maybe I missed it. That may work better than the loose fill I purchased.

Maybe a little bit but nothing long term. Also, invest in some basic planted tank tools. A set of long tongs makes planting much neater and less invasive, so less likely to kick up particulate or mulm.

This is really good advice if you can get a set of Aquascaping tools from somewhere like Amazon that will really help.

I'm really unfamilair with any kind of HOB filters, I use externals but I'd expect most filter medias to be able to clear up cloudy water - I had a quick google and your filter has a 400 gallons per hour turn over which is quite low for a 55 gallon tank, you're not even getting 4x turn over. The minimum I would like to get usually is 6x. I don't think the case is that big either. Would changing to something different be an option?

Wills

Hmmm, I didn't see batting at HL, or maybe I missed it. That may work better than the loose fill I purchased.
On the shelf at WallyWorld, all of the time...it's a huge thick sheet, you cut to size your filters...stays together well when changing out, and catches as much gunk or more than sponges

This is really good advice if you can get a set of Aquascaping tools from somewhere like Amazon that will really help.

I'm really unfamilair with any kind of HOB filters, I use externals but I'd expect most filter medias to be able to clear up cloudy water - I had a quick google and your filter has a 400 gallons per hour turn over which is quite low for a 55 gallon tank, you're not even getting 4x turn over. The minimum I would like to get usually is 6x. I don't think the case is that big either. Would changing to something different be an option?

Wills
It actually has two separate lids with spaces where filters would fit on both sides. I could look at getting another filter for the left side. This one does have adjustable flow. I have it at about half power. I probably could turn it up a bit until I get a new one for the left side.

It actually has two separate lids with spaces where filters would fit on both sides. I could look at getting another filter for the left side. This one does have adjustable flow. I have it at about half power. I probably could turn it up a bit until I get a new one for the left side.
Definitely have it on full power, how come you turned it down? If you can add a second it would definitely help.

Wills

Often there are ceramic rings that powder and cloud.
I haven't seen ceramic rings in the filter I have now and I will make sure that when I buy my second filter it doesn't have anything like that. Thanks for the tip :)

Definitely have it on full power, how come you turned it down? If you can add a second it would definitely help.

Wills
I'm pretty sure I just started it about halfway because I didn't/don't know a lot about flow rate and stuff. I will definitely turn it up and see if I can't get a second filter next week. I do like the HOB filters better than the ones that are in the water, but I don't think I'm brave enough to do anything more advanced than that yet.

On the shelf at WallyWorld, all of the time...it's a huge thick sheet, you cut to size your filters...stays together well when changing out, and catches as much gunk or more than sponges
The loose fill tends to get caught on bits of the biomedia and inevitably makes its way into the tank. The fish ignore it but I'm afraid it might eventually make its way back into the impeller and clog it up. I think I may get some batting and place it over the loose fill to use it up and stretch the supply.

The loose fill tends to get caught on bits of the biomedia and inevitably makes its way into the tank. The fish ignore it but I'm afraid it might eventually make its way back into the impeller and clog it up. I think I may get some batting and place it over the loose fill to use it up and stretch the supply.
I'd do it sooner, rather than later....get the batting, use only it

The batting cut to fit sounds perfect. I'm definitely a messy tank tinkerer so the more things I can do to avoid mess the better 🤣

I haven't seen ceramic rings in the filter I have now and I will make sure that when I buy my second filter it doesn't have anything like that. Thanks for the tip :)

I'm pretty sure I just started it about halfway because I didn't/don't know a lot about flow rate and stuff. I will definitely turn it up and see if I can't get a second filter next week. I do like the HOB filters better than the ones that are in the water, but I don't think I'm brave enough to do anything more advanced than that yet.
Nothing wrong with ceramics, just rinse before use, as the directions describe.

HOBs generally are very easy to set up and maintain...I prefer the AquaClears, have used them for years

Nothing wrong with ceramics, just rinse before use, as the directions describe.

HOBs generally are very easy to set up and maintain...I prefer the AquaClears, have used them for years
Do you think I should be looking at the AquaClear 50 or the 70 for a second filter?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back