Fluval Flustration!

I'd do it sooner, rather than later....get the batting, use only it
Just swapped it out with 3 - 4"x6" batting rectangles. I could likely get one or two more in but wanted to go conservative to see how it worked.

What a difference, the fill was a mess and I had to pick it out of the bio-media (the media is not in a bag). At least on the install, the batting is great. It looks like it will filter much better too.

Your very welcome. I don't follow this forum that much but, if you get stumped on something fishy, you could start a Conversation with me. Your situation jumped out at me because you were getting some information that could get you running around in circles and spending more money that you had to :flex:!

Oh, and I don't think you want pea gravel. It is not necessary if you just let the tank cycle. Pea gravel is too coarse to be used in a planted tank. Plants will have difficulty sending their roots into your Fluval Substrate. In addition to that, pea gravel will trap uneaten food and fish excrement leading to more problems down the road.

You are better to resource actual submersed water plants rather than some of what you planted. Plants that do best grown out of water should be avoided because they can decay and create more water quality problems down the road.

You and others will probably be thankful that I am done for now!

Just swapped it out with 3 - 4"x6" batting rectangles. I could likely get one or two more in but wanted to go conservative to see how it worked.

What a difference, the fill was a mess and I had to pick it out of the bio-media (the media is not in a bag). At least on the install, the batting is great. It looks like it will filter much better too.
:eek:. Only one piece is necessary for coarse filtration as it comes into the filter. The rest should be sponge material to do the real work of clearing water in a cycling aquarium through good bacteria that becomes dominant in time. In all fairness, you could be talking about a totally different problem.

Last edited:
Oh, and I don't think you want pea gravel. It is not necessary if you just let the tank cycle. Pea gravel is too coarse to be used in a planted tank. Plants will have difficulty sending their roots into your Fluval Substrate. In addition to that, pea gravel will trap uneaten food and fish excrement leading to more problems down the road.

You are better to resource actual submersed water plants rather than some of what you planted. Plants that do best grown out of water should be avoided because they can decay and create more water quality problems down the road.

You and others will probably be thankful that I am done for now!
More patience, less stuff...
Are you talking about the variegated plants that were mentioned earlier growing out of the water? It's so weird. They were being sold as mid tank level, but it looks like they go back in the 10 gallon tanks. Next time I read about the plants before I buy them. I do like the variegation and wide leaves so I'll research submersed plants with a similar look. I just want all the plants. Thanks again for all your advice.

Last edited:

🐠I can't wait to hear how it goes when it's time to remove it! I'm still rinsing my ick daily. 😳

:eek:. Only one piece is necessary for coarse filtration as it comes into the filter. The rest should be sponge material to do the real work of clearing water in a cycling aquarium through good bacteria that becomes dominant in time. In all fairness, you could be talking about a totally different problem.
This is for fine particulates, and is fine poly batting, not coarse. It's placed after the AquaClear stock sponge and before the bio-rings. I'm guessing it takes up no more than an inch vertically. The previous loose fill poly was picking up fine gunk, I assume some was floating algae as it was tinted green. My hope is that the batting, not being as loose, will pick up even more.

More patience, less stuff... Roger that!
Are you talking about the variegated plants that were mentioned earlier growing out of the water? It's so weird. They were being sold as mid tank level, but it looks like they go back in the 10 gallon tanks. Next time I read about the plants before I buy them! I do like the variegation and wide leaves so I'll research submersed plants with a similar look. I just want 💚all💚 the plants!! Thanks again for all your advice. 🐠⭐🐠
Yes, the variegated ones. Check out the plant sellers like BucePlant on the internet. There are a few, true water plants that may suit you.

This is for fine particulates, and is fine poly batting, not coarse. It's placed after the AquaClear stock sponge and before the bio-rings. I'm guessing it takes up no more than an inch vertically. The previous loose fill poly was picking up fine gunk, I assume some was floating algae as it was tinted green. My hope is that the batting, not being as loose, will pick up even more.
OK, I was not suggesting the removal of all batting but recommending keeping some sponge in the filter. This is to keep good bacteria in the filter if one throws out the dirty batting.

OK, I was not suggesting the removal of all batting but recommending keeping some sponge in the filter. This is to keep good bacteria in the filter if one throws out the dirty batting.
The ceramic media is just fine for retaining BB colonies, no need for nasty, stinky sponges*

*You may or may not detect that I hate sponges, and the gunk they quickly accumulate

The ceramic media is just fine for retaining BB colonies, no need for nasty, stinky sponges*

*You may or may not detect that I hate sponges, and the gunk they quickly accumulate
I agree on ceramic media being beneficial.

I tend to rinse out my sponges before they become nasty and stinky. I also take care not to over feed or over populate.

Forums like this would not exist if everyone had the same opinions. Welcoming opinions makes a good forum, great.

I agree on ceramic media being beneficial.

I tend to rinse out my sponges before they become nasty and stinky. I also take care not to over feed or over populate.

Forums like this would not exist if everyone had the same opinions. Welcoming opinions makes a good forum, great.
I've got 21 smallish fish (Black Skirt and Buenos Aries Tetras and Corys) in a 125 G, so far there is minimal gunk in the sponge. A quick squeeze/rinse monthly is all it takes.

I've got 21 smallish fish (Black Skirt and Buenos Aries Tetras and Corys) in a 125 G, so far there is minimal gunk in the sponge. A quick squeeze/rinse monthly is all it takes.
Here's a 75 G with 12 White Clouds, 8 Cardinals, 5 Colombian Angels, 2 SAE and one female GBR. Fluval Cannister with sponges, ceramic media and a sponge pre-filter hidden behind the wood on the left side. Wood hides the heater in the center and CO2 diffuser on the right.

Tank has been running for a year with 20% water change weekly and pre-filter rinsed monthly. I check the media in the cannister every couple of months and it is always clean (and no smell).
75 Gallon.JPG

Hiya, Salt !
Am following thread as I want to see how you feel about your tank over time... And I want to see your plants. 🌿🌿🌿
I love your profile picture, by the way 😍

Last edited:
Your filter should do the job but I have had great success with AquaClear filters, should you need a change. Fluval Cannister filters are also a favorite of mine if you need an option.

With the location and intensity of your lights, you may have a problem growing the carpeting plants or grasses. These are normally planted in the front of the tank and need high lighting. I believe your lights are located in the back. There may not be enough light reaching the front. There may also be an issue with bringing out the color of you fish. Nicrew LED lights have been great for me. They are bright and have adjustable dimming. They are designed to sit on top of a tank (usually with a glass cover) and can be positioned for the best viewing angle and plant growing. It looks to me that your existing lighting may be more favorable for broad leaved plants that don't require a lot of light. Anubia, Java Fern and Java Moss come to mind. When looking for plants, look for low to moderate light requirements and, to make them easier to plant, the ones I mentioned can be tied or glued to rocks or wood. Also, when buying plants, try to get those with roots in plastic pots rather than loose or banded with weight strips. The roots help to anchor them until they are established.

Next up, your sand or gravel. The Fluval you have should be OK with rooted plants provided you have enough depth to hold the roots down. Pea or coarse gravel is going to trap debris and leftover food making water changes more important. And yes, you should be doing regular water changes. Nothing kills fish more than polluted water (except for chlorinated water that has not be aged, treated or brought to the right temperature).

Adding water back to cover evaporation is concentrating the bad stuff that kills fish. If you haven't experienced this, you have been very lucky.

Painting your room shouldn't be a problem with a cover tank and good ventilation. Latex paint would be better and easier to clean up. Put plastic over the tank during painting.

Your tank and plants should be ready for fish in 4 to 6 weeks. I want to remind you of the fishless cycling with a few drops of pure ammonia each day. The ammonia replicates what fish and fish food produce and is easier to control. Please, go to Amazon and, $12.72, purchase this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R52CZ2/?tag=ff0d01-20

Without the hassle of test vial, counting drops, trying to compare colors and inaccuracy of testing for "free ammonia", for a year, it will give you a visual for ammonia. You only have to test for nitrite, nitrate and the others.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back