Fluval Flustration!

Perfect!! I have the same stuff and it really helps in keeping things “neater”. I admit though, that I still need to use regular scissors to do most of the trimming in my high tech tank.. My plants grow like weeds with C02.

I'll have to review the rest of your thread
I'm sorry I should have included that information. I have a 55 gallon tank with fluval stratum and one top fin silentstream pf75 HOB filter right now.

No need to apologize.

I assume you know about the nitrogen cycle, since you have the other tanks going, with fish...how will you cycle this new tank?

No need to apologize.

I assume you know about the nitrogen cycle, since you have the other tanks going, with fish...how will you cycle this new tank?
So far I have put the plants in, used filtered water and added a filter I was switching out from my 10 gallon tank to my HOB filter to help get the cycle started. I figure it will be at least another 3 or 4 weeks before I have all the plants I would like added. I need to get a new test kit, also.
I definitely need to read up on cycling and water changes for planted aquariums, though. I imagine the process will be a bit different?
I'm also trying to figure out if I should cap the fluval stratum with pea gravel. There is so much information online that figuring out which is advice is good can be daunting.

Last edited:
Yes, make getting a new test kit (API Freshwater Master Test Kit) a priority.

Fishless cycling of a planted tank is pretty much the same thing as one in a non-planted tank.

I have no experience with that substrate, I just use cheap sand, but capping it with pea gravel shouldn't hurt anything.

Cycling a 55G tank is no different than smaller tanks; actually, the greater amount of volume of water, the easier it is to control water params, more margin for error.

Read and understand the fishless cycling sticky, and post any questions you may have on this thread

Hmmm, I didn't see batting at HL, or maybe I missed it. That may work better than the loose fill I purchased.
Went to Hobby Lobby today (50% off glassware) and looked again, they do have poly batting for $5.99, picked up a roll.
So that is an option if you are Walmart averse

I am well beyond Walmart "averse"...more like "detest", LOL.....I have Mrs. Slap pick up the batting for me...I don't step into that place unless it's an emergency...good to know they carry it at HL

The silent cycle post recommended I put fast growing plants (hornwort) in, so I did. Now I've got a few snails and a few tiny baby guppy fry in there that were caught up in the hornwort. So I guess fish-in cycling it is! 😂
I have my new test kit ordered. The API one. It will get here Friday and then I can start checking parameters again.
The second filter is a bit pricey so I'm looking around for a sale before I make that purchase.
I'm fixing to order batting also. Can anyone think of other things I need? (Plants, I need -all- the plants!🙃)

Last edited:
Hi @Salt

I'm just coming back to keeping tropicals after a lengthy absence so I'm also on a fast learning curve.
Here are a few ideas that may help.
Somewhere for your fish to take cover, like an artificial cave or just some black pipe.
Some floating plants which help to remove ammonia and give some shelter to the fish.
Something to agitate the top of the water as this increases the surface area and therefore the amount of oxygen.
An air stone to further increase the oxygen, the bubbles also look good and I am sure that some of my fish like to swim through them :lol:.
I also have a secondary heater placed at the other end of my tank, this is just in case the other fails as our house is not that warm during certain times of the year.
And I would suggest checking the parameters of both your tap water and your cycled tank before deciding on which fish to go for, i.e. soft v hard water, low v high PH.

Hope that's of some help.

Having kept fish for over 60 years and read through all the posts, I have a few comments for your consideration.

I see nothing out of the ordinary with your tank. It is the "new tank syndrome" and the nitrogen cycle is just beginning. In 4 to 6 weeks it should be perfecting fine, if you leave it alone. This means, make sure there is some media, like a sponge, stays in the filter and rinse it out in tank water after the tank has cycled.

Floss will not filter out your cloudiness which is more likely caused by a bacterial bloom which will disappear when the good bacteria have taken over. I would leave the floss in until the tank clears.

I wouldn't change any water during the cycling, except for evaporation.

I am a strong believer in fishless cycling and use ammonia to speed the cycling process. Check out the internet for this procedure and install a Seachem AmmoniaAlert since common test kits do not accurately report the important "free" ammonia.

Lastly, there is scientific evidence that sponge filters a very effect in aquariums. Google them as well.

Happy Fish Keeping!

Hi @Salt

I'm just coming back to keeping tropicals after a lengthy absence so I'm also on a fast learning curve.
Here are a few ideas that may help.
Somewhere for your fish to take cover, like an artificial cave or just some black pipe.
Some floating plants which help to remove ammonia and give some shelter to the fish.
Something to agitate the top of the water as this increases the surface area and therefore the amount of oxygen.
An air stone to further increase the oxygen, the bubbles also look good and I am sure that some of my fish like to swim through them :lol:.
I also have a secondary heater placed at the other end of my tank, this is just in case the other fails as our house is not that warm during certain times of the year.
And I would suggest checking the parameters of both your tap water and your cycled tank before deciding on which fish to go for, i.e. soft v hard water, low v high PH.

Hope that's of some help.
Thanks for your response :) I am looking for the perfect piece of wood or stone centerpiece right now as a focal point. But I live in arizona, so I don't think I'll ever need a backup heater :) I'm on City water and half the time it smells like the swimming pool coming out of the tap, so there is no way it goes in my fish tanks. LOL :) But I am getting an API testing kit delivered Friday so I'll be able to check my water parameters.
I think I may still have an air stone around here somewhere from a smaller tank, I'll look around for it. 🐠🐠🐠

Having kept fish for over 60 years and read through all the posts, I have a few comments for your consideration.

I see nothing out of the ordinary with your tank. It is the "new tank syndrome" and the nitrogen cycle is just beginning. In 4 to 6 weeks it should be perfecting fine, if you leave it alone. This means, make sure there is some media, like a sponge, stays in the filter and rinse it out in tank water after the tank has cycled.

Floss will not filter out your cloudiness which is more likely caused by a bacterial bloom which will disappear when the good bacteria have taken over. I would leave the floss in until the tank clears.

I wouldn't change any water during the cycling, except for evaporation.

I am a strong believer in fishless cycling and use ammonia to speed the cycling process. Check out the internet for this procedure and install a Seachem AmmoniaAlert since common test kits do not accurately report the important "free" ammonia.

Lastly, there is scientific evidence that sponge filters a very effect in aquariums. Google them as well.

Happy Fish Keeping!
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into sponge filters. This fluval substrate is just so different than what I'm used to it's taking some getting used to. 60 years is an amazing amount of fish keeping time! Anytime you have any advice for me jump right in! I will appreciate it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into sponge filters :) This fluval substrate is just so different than what I'm used to it's taking some getting used to. 60 years is an amazing amount of fish keeping time! :) Anytime you have any advice for me jump right in! I will appreciate it!
Your very welcome. I don't follow this forum that much but, if you get stumped on something fishy, you could start a Conversation with me. Your situation jumped out at me because you were getting some information that could get you running around in circles and spending more money that you had to :flex:!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back