Fluval Flustration!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
All the websites I've read say it's normal when you put new plants in for it to be a little cloudy.
Please tell me that the cloudy goes away after a while so that you can add a plant and still see the tank?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the dreaded curse of the "oops I didn't rinse the fine powder out of the bio-media that came with the filter"...

I, of course, never made that mistake. Oh no, uh, maybe.

What substrate are you using and what media do you have in your filter?

It sounds to me like the dreaded curse of the "oops I didn't rinse the fine powder out of the bio-media that came with the filter"...

I, of course, never made that mistake. Oh no, uh, maybe.
It is Fluval plant and shrimp stratum. The filter is a huge top 10 with insertable activated charcoal in the mesh bags for filter medium. It's what came with the fish tank. You don't rinse it because that gets rid of all the good stuff?

Last edited:
You are right you don't wash this kind of substrate. I'm not familiar with that kind of filter but the fact its main media is carbon based is not really great, carbon is only useful for removing chemicals and medicines. You could try adding some filter floss or fine sponges for the model of filter you have? Or always do a water change after you plant anything new.

Wills

You are right you don't wash this kind of substrate. I'm not familiar with that kind of filter but the fact its main media is carbon based is not really great, carbon is only useful for removing chemicals and medicines. You could try adding some filter floss or fine sponges for the model of filter you have? Or always do a water change after you plant anything new.

Wills
I will give it a try. I have read that you can use polyfill from the craft section, I may try that like you suggested also. Maybe it will get better?
I think I'm partly overwhelmed because it's a big jump from 10 gallon tanks to a 55 gallon also. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Just be patient. It will clear up in due time.
Can you tell me, after it has settled for a while, will it get cloudy again every time I plant a new plant in it?

No problem :) I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned but filter floss is not expensive and you wont need much its usually a few £ for a meter from a roll.

A black background would help your tank and hide all the wires etc too. Some of those plants you have in there are actually house plants so in a few weeks/months they will die off and they wont grow so will just pollute the water. Its the white and green one on the far right and on the left. I'm not sure what the tall one on the middle right is either?

It would be worth getting some hardscape into the tank too, something tall like wood would be a good start.

Wills

I have read that you can use polyfill from the craft section, I may try that like you suggested also.

I picked up a huge bag at Hobby Lobby the other day for something like $4. This will supply for probably a year if I replace weekly. I put it in my Aquaclear 110 HOB above the sponge and place bio ceramics on top to hold it down. You will need something to hold it down or it will flow out into the tank. Put in less than you think you need at first to see if it pushes the top layer up too high, you can always add more.

After the first week I did notice that the poly did pick up some gunk that passed thru the sponge. How much it clarified I am not sure as I seemed to pick up a bit of green water that week.

No problem :) I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned but filter floss is not expensive and you wont need much its usually a few £ for a meter from a roll.

A black background would help your tank and hide all the wires etc too. Some of those plants you have in there are actually house plants so in a few weeks/months they will die off and they wont grow so will just pollute the water. Its the white and green one on the far right and on the left. I'm not sure what the tall one on the middle right is either?

It would be worth getting some hardscape into the tank too, something tall like wood would be a good start.

Wills
I'm saving up for a really nice, really good piece of decorative wood. It's definitely on my list. The variegated white and green one actually came from one of those tubes in the aquarium section at PetSmart. That said, it doesn't surprise me that PetSmart would have houseplants in the aquatic section. 🤣
And I definitely like the idea of hiding the cords too! Thank you :)

Can you tell me, after it has settled for a while, will it get cloudy again every time I plant a new plant in it?
Maybe a little bit but nothing long term. Also, invest in some basic planted tank tools. A set of long tongs makes planting much neater and less invasive, so less likely to kick up particulate or mulm.

I picked up a huge bag at Hobby Lobby the other day for something like $4. This will supply for probably a year if I replace weekly. I put it in my Aquaclear 110 HOB above the sponge and place bio ceramics on top to hold it down. You will need something to hold it down or it will flow out into the tank. Put in less than you think you need at first to see if it pushes the top layer up too high, you can always add more.

After the first week I did notice that the poly did pick up some gunk that passed thru the sponge. How much it clarified I am not sure as I seemed to pick up a bit of green water that week.
My goal is to be able to replace it weekly! Right now I'm rinsing the filters that are in it 2 to 3 times a day and it rinses straight mud. Definitely a big learning curve with this stuff. Thanks for the Hobby Lobby tip :)

Over near the pillow materials, mattress foam etc.

Attachments

• 3CAA7FFC-C79A-4897-898B-CA3941B9A640.jpeg
    3CAA7FFC-C79A-4897-898B-CA3941B9A640.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 35
Around $8 at Walmart, a roll lasts me about 1 1/2 years, with 5 HOB's, weekly water changes...I ditched nasty sponges years ago, just use a piece of this cut to size, after every water change...replace weekly with a fresh piece...I use the space I save in my HOBs for additional ceramic media...easy peezy

Attachments

• batting.jpg
    batting.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back