Flourite Substrate Too Sharp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
We have Seachem Flourite Black substrate (for its attributes for plants) in our small (106L/28G) community tank in my son's room. When I first set up this tank (over a year ago) I ended up using rubber kitchen gloves on my hands when rinsing this gravel because it felt sharp edged. I assume this pretty much disqualifies it from being a substrate a cory would like!

But I'm going to ask anyway! We really would like to get corys and I've been particularly looking at the 3 pygmy species, thinking of getting 5 or 6 of one of them. I believe the (habrosus?) is the most active, community oriented? And I keep forgetting the names of the three (apologies MW and OM47!) and which species is the "middle height swimmer," leaving the other two species as the "bottom swimmers." (?) Anyway, any chance these little ones would be less bothered by the rougher substrate than bigger corys?

And of course, if anyone has any experience or ideas concerning Flourite and corys, I'd love to hear any and all thoughts. Note that other than having a lot of them sitting in the bottom of my many tanks growing up years ago, I am a beginner to the cory subject.

Thanks in Advance!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Hi waterdrop :)

I was hoping that, given time, someone with actual experience using this product might have replied to your question. I can only guess that because of the apparent sharpness, it isn't being used with corys. When in doubt about something involving living creatures, it's usually best not to take a chance with it.

All corys, including the little ones (habrosus, hastatus & pygmaeus) spend considerable time on the bottom and root about in the substrate in search of food. Even if they do like to swim higher up in the water, they feed and rest at the bottom.

C. habrosus:
11-09-07Chabrosus1.jpg

Mixed group:
pygmaeusandaspadoras.jpg

Personally, I would avoid anything sharp enough that you noticed it on your hands. It sounds quite sharp to me and no bottom dweller will likely be happy with it. If my hands are at all irritated by rinsing gravel or sand, it doesn't go into a tank where I may want a cory some day. For me it's a minor irritation but for a cory it could mean being unable to feed properly.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that a laterite layer under sand was just as good for plants and did not leave any sharp material for the fish to get into. If that is not right, I know from experience that regular potting soil with a layer of sand on top makes a very nice fertile substrate that doesn't bother cories.

Could you not do say 2" of the fluorite then have another 2-3" of sand ontop thus getting the best of both?
Then again I suppose there's still the element of risk there.. maybe 4" :lol:

I had the same concern myself and ended up using Flourite Black Sand instead. One of the guys I've met online has had Corys for some time now and did experience some barbel wear with normal flourite.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back