Floating Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kgrehm

Fishaholic
Reaction score
They say that you should have some plants that float on the top for gouramis. What are the best kinds, and how many should I have?

Hornwort or Riccia would also be good choices, and somewhat easier to grow then Cabomba species.

Thanks I will see if any of my lps carry it because all i see is regulr potted plants and not more of the others.

Hi,

Back when we were living in Seattle, we had a huge batch of water letuce growing covering our 55 gallon. Mind you, we started with only about a handful lol. They looked great, and the roots reached down to almost 1/3 of the tank's height. It was a lot of fun watching our fish navigate the maze of roots. They are a lot less messy than duckweed. The only problem is that they blocked the light from reaching our other plants.

I don't know how heavily planted your tank is, but if it is heavily planted you might consider growing some of them to the top of the water instead of using floating plants. I just ordered some corkscrew vals and will probably let them drape across the water, and my swords are providing the gouramis a lot of shade/hidding space already.

Good luck!
Hyla

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back