Tank size: 57L
pH: About 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20-40
kH: n/a
gH: n/a
tank temp: 26

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Fish is looking a bit dull in colour and has now started tilting to one side when it's swimming. It seems to be swimming ok just sorta listing over to one side

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20-30% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: n/a

Tank inhabitants: See sig

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Moss ball and 2 flame tetra about a month ago.

Exposure to chemicals: None

Ok guys does this sound like swim bladder to you? I lost a guppy about 2 weeks ago to what i think was swim bladder but it was really fast. I have some Myxazin here, do you think I should dose the tank with that?

Request Help

Tank size: 57L
pH: About 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20-40
kH: n/a
gH: n/a
tank temp: 26

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Fish is looking a bit dull in colour and has now started tilting to one side when it's swimming. It seems to be swimming ok just sorta listing over to one side

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20-30% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: n/a

Tank inhabitants: See sig

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Moss ball and 2 flame tetra about a month ago.

Exposure to chemicals: None

Ok guys does this sound like swim bladder to you? I lost a guppy about 2 weeks ago to what i think was swim bladder but it was really fast. I have some Myxazin here, do you think I should dose the tank with that?

What is temp of tank? Guppies appreciate warmer water than many of the tetras who might be more comfortable at cooler temps. pH of 7.6 would suit most livebearers such as guppies but may not be appreciated by some of the tetras who sometimes do better in softer or more acidic water. Is true that many fish can adapt to somewhat differing values with respect to hardness or acidic(soft) conditions but I have found that more than a few of the tetra species don't color up as well if temps and ph is much out of their comfort range.
I might try lowering the temp a little if it is much over 78degreesF to maybe 74 or 75 degreesF

Just found one dead and partly eaten too but it's not the one who's swimming oddly....now i'm really concerned and confused

How many fish and which type.
What test kit are you using.

Leaning to oneside can be bacterial, swim bladder, internal parasites, loss of an eye.

Does the fish look bloated or thin.
Can the fish maintain balance in the water.
What do you feed the fish.
Check the anus to see if it's enlarged or red and inflamed.
What does it look like when your fish go to the toilet.

Being pale and tilting to oneside can also be bacterial.
Need to answer some of the questions to find out what causing it.

How many fish and which type. 5 flame tetra, 4 male guppies and 8 copper harlequins
What test kit are you using. API Master Liquid Kit

Leaning to oneside can be bacterial, swim bladder, internal parasites, loss of an eye.

Does the fish look bloated or thin. No
Can the fish maintain balance in the water. It's swimming ok but ends up leaning over on a kinda 45 degree angle
What do you feed the fish. Mixture of flake and frozen bloodworm and daphnia
Check the anus to see if it's enlarged or red and inflamed. No doesn't look inflamed
What does it look like when your fish go to the toilet. All the fish have been constipated because i tried them on some pellets but they are going normally now not white or mucusy in an way...sorry for spelling lol

Being pale and tilting to oneside can also be bacterial.
Need to answer some of the questions to find out what causing it.
Also no there is no loss of an eye unless it has gone blind in the one eye but it still has both eyes

Introduce some brime shrimp and veg into there diet.

Can you issolate the fish as I would try a bacterial med like anit internal bacteria med by interpet.

I can't issolate it no but I can treat the whole tank with Myaxzin if needed. Is brine shrimp the same as tubifex? If so I have some frozen.
I have tried them on veg in the past and they didn't show any interest in it appart from the peas which they get occassionally

Think myxazin by waterlife more of an external bacteria med. I would try anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Also feed some shelled peas.
Do you use frozen, or freeze dried tubilex.
I won't feed tubilex worms as it can be abit risky. Freeze dried tubilex is meant to be pretty safe though.

They are frozen but i've not fed any to them yet.
It says Myaxzin is for Fin/Body rot, pop eye and other bacterial infections. It's all I have at the moment unfortunately

Myxazin fine on external bacteria infections but I would go with an internal bacteria med.

It's up to you but I would throw the tublilex frozen worms away. My fish got ill when I fed them tubilex frozen worms.

Myxazin fine on external bacteria infections but I would go with an internal bacteria med.

It's up to you but I would throw the tublilex frozen worms away. My fish got ill when I fed them tubilex frozen worms.

Ok thanks. Typical i've just had a scout around and i've found protozin, sterazin and myxazin but nothing internal. And I can't get to any of the LFS cos of the weather I'm a bit snowed in. Will have to see if my friend can do it on his way home from work....fingers crossed. The poor guy seems to be going downhill fast :sad:

Bless him. He sounds like the meds to late then.
Add some myxazin then, but it could finish him off faster if he's weak.
If he dies some daily water changes on your main tank.

I am gonna do a water change in a while cos of the dead one i found earlier. I am worried that it might be something a bit more serious than just one ill fish now cos if he dies it'll be the 3rd in a month.
Have no idea what happened to the one i found partly eaten this morning cos they were all ok last night when i was watching them eat. That's when i noticed the one swimming a little weirdly. He's now sorta permanently tilting unless he swims off with a bit of speed.
I also lost a guppy to swim bladder and he went really quickly. One day he was just being lazy and resting on a leaf and the following day he was floating vertically and wedged behind the filter then spiralling down to the bottom so i put him out of his misery :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back