Flame Tetra Looking Ill

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I would add the bacterial med with losing 3 fish. Try and get the internal bacteria med by interpet.

Keep a look out for when your fish go to the toilet.
Bent spine.
Enlarged anus, or red inflamed anus.
Being bloated or skinny.
Also check for flicking and rubbing, excess mucas, darting, erratic swimming, laboured breathing.

It sounds bacterial for now, but internal parasites can cause tilting.

The third type of infection produced by Aeromonas is by no means the least. This form is often the most virulent (potent) and can be rapidly fatal. This insidious form does not produce any noticeable external ulcers. The most notable feature is a behavioral change in which the infected fish generally become listless and lethargic. Some fish may lose color or appear darker. The fish do not feed, frequently seem off balance and may sink to the bottom laying on their sides. The course of the disease is rapid, and by the time the behavioral changes are noticed, the entire population of a tank may succumb, sometimes in a day or so. This is an internal infection, with the bacteria being found in the kidneys and blood of these fish. The bacteria produce potent toxins that account for the severity of the disease.<br /><br /><br />FISH TB LINK<br />http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=49<br /><br

I am trying to get hold of a mate to see if he can pick me up some internal med on his way home from work. I've just seen there's a touch of fin rot to his top (dorsal?) fin. Also would excess mucus look like greyish patches?

Greyish patches can be columnaris, parasites, ph shock, etc.
Finrot can be a secondary bacterial infection if no fish are pecking at the fins.

Greyish patches can be columnaris, parasites, ph shock, etc.
Finrot can be a secondary bacterial infection if no fish are pecking at the fins.

Yeah the fish is being left alone so i'd say it's not due to being pecked at. It's only minor at the moment more a tear than rotting away but is clearly fin rot. My friend is getting me some anti internal med on his way home from work so i will try that to see if it helps.
The patches don't look fluffy just greyish in colour and to be honest i'm not 100% sure it's not just a trick of the light at the moment but i will keep a close eye on him tonight to see

Ok.
Just keep a close eye on parasite signs.

Let me know how he gets on if you don't mind.
Good Luck.

No problems Wilder. Thank you for all your help yet again and i'll keep you posted

Edit - Got some Interpet No 9 and just dosed the tank so fingers crossed

Good Luck.

Thanks Wilder, just a couple more questions though sorry....

When I add the second dose do i need to do a water change first of just add it?
Also any idea how long it should take before i notice any improvement if there is gonna be any? Because I've just come home from a night away and he's still looking rather ill and is still off balance :unsure:

I'm not sure now though whether it might be parasites because one or two of the tetra are looking like they have a bit of a bulge under their body area and i've noticed one of them with stringy, bitty, mucuosy poo. It's only the tetra that are affected tho

You don't do a water change when add the second round of meds.

Bacterial infections can cause stringy white mucas poo.
Are the fish still eating well.

What does the anus look like. Is it enlarged or red and inflamed.
Do the fish swim on there sides.
Can you see anything prutruding from the anus.
Do any of the fish have bending of the spine.

You don't do a water change when add the second round of meds. Thanks

Bacterial infections can cause stringy white mucas poo.
Are the fish still eating well.Yup they still eat well though the one i originally posted about might not be eating too well i'll have to keep an eye on him

What does the anus look like. Is it enlarged or red and inflamed.No the anus looks fine
Do the fish swim on there sides.Just the one i originally posted about is on a 45 degree angle most of the time
Can you see anything prutruding from the anus.Not that I've seen
Do any of the fish have bending of the spine.The flame tetra I lost a few weeks back did yes

bent spine can be old age, vitamin deficiency, fish tb, injury, internal parasites.

I will read your post again as getting abit comfused with all the threads tonight.

It's hard to say fish tb without test done on a fish.
Once the med course is up I think I would treat your fish for internal parasites.

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_nematol%20001/198936

How have your livebearers been as there prone to camallanous worms.

Signs of internal parasites are.
Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo, red poo, but make sure it's not red food you are feeding the fish.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
Enlarged anus to red inflamed anus.
Fish will look bloated or skinny.
Fish will swim on it's side sometimes.
Bent spine.
Sunken in belly.
Sometimes flicking and rubbing.
Sometimes spitting food out.

How have your livebearers been as there prone to camallanous worms.

Signs of internal parasites are.
Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo, red poo, but make sure it's not red food you are feeding the fish.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
Enlarged anus to red inflamed anus.
Fish will look bloated or skinny.
Fish will swim on it's side sometimes.
Bent spine.
Sunken in belly.
Sometimes flicking and rubbing.
Sometimes spitting food out.

As far as I can see it's only the tetra that are affected at the moment although I did lose a guppy to what I thought was a swim bladder problem about 2 weeks ago.
One of the tetra has mucus poo and is looking thin/small but he is one of the 2 new ones i added a while back so is younger than the rest.
I haven't seen any worms protruding from the anus of any of the fish no.
A few of the tetra are looking smaller and thin around the tail part of their body. They also look paler and less shiny than the some of the others. They don't look sunken in the belly and i've not seen any flicking. The really ill tetra has been spitting some food out yeah. They aren't swimming on their side no.
I've just seen that one of the tetra has maybe 2 scales missing but no pineconing so i don't think it's dropsy

Most reactions

Back