Fishless cycling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IdoA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've picked up a 10 galoon aquarium and planning to have some neon tetras and a honey gurami.
I wanted to get cycling right. After some looking around I think I'll go with fishless cycling. Do you recommend I buy the whole set from dr tims aquatics?(His ammonia and one and only Bacteria). Its the one I understand the most although im not sure if I should use my anti chlorine in the process.
Thanks,
Ido

Welcome to TFF! :hi:

What is your water hardness?
They need to be in groups of at least 6.

Honey Gouramis need to be in a tank MINIMUM of 20 gallons.
I read I can put 6 neon tetras and 1 gurami in a 10 galoon. Im really a beginner so trying to figure things out!

Yes, you must use a dechlorinator or the bacteria won't grow. Every time water is put in the tank it should be treated.

Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is perfect for fishless cycling, but if you read the method on his website you need to be aware that it uses a different unit for ammonia compared to our test kits. The 2 ppm it says on there is the same as 2.4 with our test kits.
If you can't get One & Only, Tetra Safe Start is basically the same and that should be easy to find.

Regarding fish, I need to warn you that a lot of information on-line is inaccurate. And shop workers are the last people to ask for advice as the majority know nothing about fish.
The best site for researching fish is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ The profiles on there tell you what size tank they need, what hardness and pH they need, what temperature they need, what food they eat and so on. For example, neon tetras need a tank at least 60 cm long.

Look in your water company's website for hardness, that will give you a starting point. If you can't find it, tell us the name of the water company and we'll find the page for you.

Yes, you must use a dechlorinator or the bacteria won't grow. Every time water is put in the tank it should be treated.

Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is perfect for fishless cycling, but if you read the method on his website you need to be aware that it uses a different unit for ammonia compared to our test kits. The 2 ppm it says on there is the same as 2.4 with our test kits.
If you can't get One & Only, Tetra Safe Start is basically the same and that should be easy to find.

Regarding fish, I need to warn you that a lot of information on-line is inaccurate. And shop workers are the last people to ask for advice as the majority know nothing about fish.
The best site for researching fish is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ The profiles on there tell you what size tank they need, what hardness and pH they need, what temperature they need, what food they eat and so on. For example, neon tetras need a tank at least 60 cm long.

Look in your water company's website for hardness, that will give you a starting point. If you can't find it, tell us the name of the water company and we'll find the page for you.
Thanks!
If I may ask another question,
I already have quick start by API at home.

They say you just add it and you're done...
Should I use it or cycle with dr tims products?
Thanks once again.

No bacterial starter cycles a tank instantly. The best speed it up, the worst do nothing.

The API one is not one of the most highly recommended - Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start are the better ones to use.
If you use anything else besides One & Only, I would follow the method on here

Personally I wouldn't put neons in a 10 gallon. Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank?

Hello everyone!
I've picked up a 10 galoon aquarium and planning to have some neon tetras and a honey gurami.
I wanted to get cycling right. After some looking around I think I'll go with fishless cycling. Do you recommend I buy the whole set from dr tims aquatics?(His ammonia and one and only Bacteria). Its the one I understand the most although im not sure if I should use my anti chlorine in the process.
Thanks,
Ido
Hi,
Welcome to fish keeping! Fish do better if you give them 2 or 3 gallons per inch. In other words, a 10 gallon tank will comfortably allow you to put in about 3 inches of fish e.g. 2 small fish. Unfortunately, a ten gallon tank is not very big. I have a 125 gallon tank with 70 inches of fish and I feel like I'm overcrowded!
When you go to set up a new tank, all you need is a filter, water conditioner, and water. I'm not sure of all the stuff you are talking about getting for your new tank but I do not think you need it. The one thing I would invest in a good water tester kit. That way you can check your water and make sure everything is good before you add your fish. Good luck!

No bacterial starter cycles a tank instantly. The best speed it up, the worst do nothing.

The API one is not one of the most highly recommended - Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start are the better ones to use.
If you use anything else besides One & Only, I would follow the method on here

Personally I wouldn't put neons in a 10 gallon. Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank?
60 cm wide, 28cm tall, Depth is: 22cm.

I also have stress zymest+ by API laying around.
Do you think thats any good?
16448767386647198484604583874027.jpg

Hi,
Welcome to fish keeping! Fish do better if you give them 2 or 3 gallons per inch. In other words, a 10 gallon tank will comfortably allow you to put in about 3 inches of fish e.g. 2 small fish. Unfortunately, a ten gallon tank is not very big. I have a 125 gallon tank with 70 inches of fish and I feel like I'm overcrowded!
When you go to set up a new tank, all you need is a filter, water conditioner, and water. I'm not sure of all the stuff you are talking about getting for your new tank but I do not think you need it. The one thing I would invest in a good water tester kit. That way you can check your water and make sure everything is good before you add your fish. Good luck!
Now im confused! Shouldn't I cycle a tank?

Of course but you said I should only treat the water with an anti chlorine conditioner.
No bacteria?
You dont HAVE to add the bacteria but the bottled baxteria does speed up a cycle. Also, I wouldnt add plants until you are half way through when cycling with ammonia. The ammonia will stay at high levels for the first few days and for the first few additions of ammonia so it can and most likely will kill any plants put in there... My java ferns pulled through quite nicely tho for the 3ppm ammonia in my qt tank I'm cycling

You dont HAVE to add the bacteria but the bottled baxteria does speed up a cycle. Also, I wouldnt add plants until you are half way through when cycling with ammonia. The ammonia will stay at high levels for the first few days and for the first few additions of ammonia so it can and most likely will kill any plants put in there... My java ferns pulled through quite nicely tho for the 3ppm ammonia in my qt tank I'm cycling
I think I'll get the dr tim kit. Can I use my own anti chlroine tho or I also need to buy his?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back