Fishless cycling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
After the water change nitrites are still the same...
What should I do?

Follow the method on here

We can't say whether or not you need to add more ammonia yet with just a single ammonia reading, or knowing where you are in the cycle.

You say you added ammonia 2 weeks ago - was that the first dose or the second? Have you added the snack dose yet?

The easiest way for us to tell is for you to post a table or list of a day by day account of ammonia and nitrite reading, and when you added ammonia & how much.

Hello,
Yesterday my ammonia and nitrite reached 0.
I decided yesterday to add 2ppm ammonia.

Today I tested and the ammonia looks around 2 pon and nitrite around 0.50.

What should I do now?

Hello,
Yesterday my ammonia and nitrite reached 0.
I decided yesterday to add 2ppm ammonia.

Today I tested and the ammonia looks around 2 pon and nitrite around 0.50.

What should I do now?
Did you yet test for nitrates? It'd seem your cycle is done. Once you achieve 0 ammonia and nitrites, nitrates should/will show at anywhere up to 20ppm, which is in the accepted range. How much longer are you staying "fishless"? Obviously you'll have to keep adding ammonia to feed the bacteria or the cycle will stall

Hey first congrats on getting into one of the best hobbies ever. I started with a 10 gal hexagon tank with a bottom filter and a beta fish as a young teen. I am now 43 and I have 10 large tanks in my house and love those 8 hour days of cleaning the entire units from water to filter, trimming plants.. its so relaxing and rewarding.

I have learned over the years that your first tank is the hardest, and you learn as you go by going through all sort of complications. Do not get frustrated, work through the issue like a math problem.

Now a days for cycling I always keep bags of extra media cycling in my tanks and sumps in care i find a deal on a new tank online or at my local store.

As for opening a tank, I personally always use a turbo start. They are awesome. Also I use API water treatment with aloe for ponds on all my tanks, fresh and salt. It is cheaper and I need to use less of it. A bottle is like $15 on amazon.

Would love to see updated pictures of your tank, share them in the thread.

Thank you everyone!
Sorry wasn't here for a few days...
Today I got a fish for my tank!

6 Celestial Pearl Danios!
4Females 2 Males.

They seem very shy and didn't eat my fish pellets today...
I hope they get better..
Do you think I can keep them with anything else to add more "life" to the aquarium?
Was thinking chili rasboras...

Thanks once again :)

Most reactions

Back