Fishless Cycle Without Filter?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I'm still waiting for my filter to get here but my tank is up with water I can turn my heater on get the air pump going. I'm wondering could I start to grow my bactira without the filter. I don't see way not. I'm going to use pure ammonia to start the cycle going. If I add ammonia now will it help the Bactria grow in my sand and on my décor?

Or should I just wait for the filter. I feel like getting a head start. So what do you think? Start g a fishless cycle without a filter worth it or a waste? I understand that it will take some time for my filter to grow a good amout of Bactria I just want to get a head start.
 
its well worth getting the tank filled and up to temp but you pointless adding ammonia as its actually the filter that you cycle not the tank. the filter is where all your bacteria lives
 
its well worth getting the tank filled and up to temp but you pointless adding ammonia as its actually the filter that you cycle not the tank. the filter is where all your bacteria lives

Right but the Bactria still lives around the tank not just in the filter so I feel like if I get a little group growing in the tank it will help when doing the real cycle.
 
the ammount of bacteria on the glass decor etc is so minimal it really wont make any real difference.
 
I would go ahead and get the minor start that you can on decor and glass surface. What could it hurt to do that? It might even help a little.
 
deffinately wont do any harm but imo better off saving the ammonia for the filter
 
How long till your filter comes? If it is going to be a long time (weeks) then you could set up your tank, get a chunk of foam media and weight it down over your airstone. Then if you put in a little ammonia then you may get a bit of bacteria going. Then, when your filter comes you could replace a bit of the media with the chunk in your tank. It may give you a kick start in cycling your filter.

If it is not going to be very long until your filter comes then just fill your tank, heat it and set the air pump going to circulate the water. Put real plants in (with fertilizer) but wait with the ammonia.
 
How long till your filter comes? If it is going to be a long time (weeks) then you could set up your tank, get a chunk of foam media and weight it down over your airstone. Then if you put in a little ammonia then you may get a bit of bacteria going. Then, when your filter comes you could replace a bit of the media with the chunk in your tank. It may give you a kick start in cycling your filter.

If it is not going to be very long until your filter comes then just fill your tank, heat it and set the air pump going to circulate the water. Put real plants in (with fertilizer) but wait with the ammonia.

good idea id never of thought of that. see dorsey you aint just a pretty face :lol:
 
Yup good idea I might try that. The filter got put on back order so i have no clue how long it will be now.
 
How long till your filter comes? If it is going to be a long time (weeks) then you could set up your tank, get a chunk of foam media and weight it down over your airstone. Then if you put in a little ammonia then you may get a bit of bacteria going. Then, when your filter comes you could replace a bit of the media with the chunk in your tank. It may give you a kick start in cycling your filter.

If it is not going to be very long until your filter comes then just fill your tank, heat it and set the air pump going to circulate the water. Put real plants in (with fertilizer) but wait with the ammonia.

good idea id never of thought of that. see dorsey you aint just a pretty face :lol:

I surprise myself sometimes :lol:
 
Hi snowflake311 :)

Since you already have an airpump, why not get a box filter to replace the airstone. If you put your media in that, the water would actually circulate through it, instead of around it. Then you can use it later if you need to set up a quarantine or fry tank. The filter in the picture below only costs around $2.

BasicFiltrationNeeds.jpg
 
I was thinking of a diy spounge filter. I'm going to rig up something to get the ball going thanks for the ideas.
 
OK so I added some ammonia to my tank April 15th. I got my filter April 24th so that is when the tank started cycling with the filter. I added some plants on 31st. Today my ammonia is at 3. BUT my nitrites are showing up they are .50 I'm excited. So its been about 20 days since I first added ammonia. But only 12 days since I added the filter to the cycle.

So does it seem like adding ammonia before you set your filter up helps?
I don't think it helped much maybe saved me 2 days or so.

But I'm so excited I'm half way there then I get order my Blue acaras :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top