Fish Won't School

dcwillms

New Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey all, I am new to the forum but have read through many posts and found them all extremely helpful. However, back to the problem. I have recently aquired around 20 zebra danios. It may be a bit to many, but a friend was going on vacation for a couple weeks and decided to give them away rather than let them die. Now, I have had them for a week or two, and figured that they would have started schooling by now. But they are not. Is there something I can do to make them school? Say like, add a predator or two? I have 1 Plecostamus, about 20 zebra danios, 2 bala sharks and thats it in the tank. The tank is a 55 gallon, and yes, I know the Bala's will outgrow. Please stop telling me that...Anyways, if someone can help me out, I would be very grateful.
 
I wouldnt add a predator just to make them school. They just might not want to school. they might be at total ease and not have to keep in big numbers to feel safe.. if they dont school then there isnt anything wrong and sometimes fish need a long while maybe a few weeks to get used to the tank and settle down.
 
I wouldnt add a predator just to make them school. They just might not want to school. they might be at total ease and not have to keep in big numbers to feel safe.. if they dont school then there isnt anything wrong and sometimes fish need a long while maybe a few weeks to get used to the tank and settle down.


in a 55 they probably dont need to school. they are all close enough anyway. maybe you over did it buying so many
 
Do you have a lot of plants and/or structures that fill the tank....if so....try leaving a large open area in the water for them to congregate it.......they'll kind of "stand" around together. One will eventually swim off....they rest should follow.
 
Mine never school, they just chase each other all over the place.

You can't seriously be wanting to buy a predator just to frighten them into a school! Danios are never going to be a silver ball of fish like you see in the sea.
 
Thanks guys, I thought I was doing something wrong because they were not schooling. And no, didn;t you read my post? I didnt buy them, my friend gave them to me becuase he is on vacation and doesn't want them to die. Thanks for the info guys, it has been most helpful! BTW, what kind of fish would you recommend for a tank buddy? I plan on getting rid of some danios and giving them to my sister or brother, and getting another type of fish. I was thinking maybe Gouramis, but then I thought about neon or cardinal tetras. But I want a fish that is gonna get a little bigger than 3 inches, but I don't want a huge gourami who is gonna eat everything.

P.S. I also have a 200 gallon tank. I am not new to owning fish, I just prefer the predatorial type of fish. I have 4 Pirahnas inb the 200 and I am yet to see anything survive their attacks. They even killed a 7 inch Pleco.
 
Thanks guys, I thought I was doing something wrong because they were not schooling. And no, didn;t you read my post? I didnt buy them, my friend gave them to me becuase he is on vacation and doesn't want them to die. Thanks for the info guys, it has been most helpful! BTW, what kind of fish would you recommend for a tank buddy? I plan on getting rid of some danios and giving them to my sister or brother, and getting another type of fish. I was thinking maybe Gouramis, but then I thought about neon or cardinal tetras. But I want a fish that is gonna get a little bigger than 3 inches, but I don't want a huge gourami who is gonna eat everything.

P.S. I also have a 200 gallon tank. I am not new to owning fish, I just prefer the predatorial type of fish. I have 4 Pirahnas inb the 200 and I am yet to see anything survive their attacks. They even killed a 7 inch Pleco.

Maybe Dwarf gouramis... Pirahnas are best kept on there own.. they need a large tank as they are very active fish.
 
Any kind of Dwarf in peticular or just find one I like?
 
sorry to hear about the pleco bin eaten by the piranah. Plecos dont usually get bothered! They just ain't that kinda fish!
The normal male dwarf Gourami, blue and red stripped, is probably your best, easiest shot. However, there is the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami which is just the same just brighter/lighter blue. There are now stripes that go straight down instead of diagnol (the original wild variation) which really annoys me!
The females are just silver. Maturing, you tend to see faint blue lines on them. These stay really small all the time.
 
YAY, I just put some Gourami's in a couple days ago, and when I walked in on my fish tank today, both types of fish were schooling! (except my angel fish, he's a loner :/ ) I am so proud of the little buggars!
 
I had the same exact thing happen to me when I first went back to freshwater from saltwater with my 55 gallon. I put danios in there, about 20 of them, to cycle and then start a community. I thought...if they do good through the cycle then i'll just keep em as i'm a huge fan of schooling fish.

They chased each other and darted in random patterns all through the plants/tank like psychopaths on crack!

I traded them in and just started with something else (dont remember what it was).

If they stop schooling again reduce their number but don't go less than 12. I'd never go less then 12 for schooling fish unless its larger fish or catfish. :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top