Fish That Should Not Be Put In Heavily Planted Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyAirborne

Fish Herder
Reaction score
well i cant seem to find a list of fish that SHOULD NOT be expected to do well in a heavily planted tank, im sure there are some that will tare most plants up. if there is a list somewhere, can u guys point me to it? also, maybe a list of common fish that thrive particularly well in planted tanks, or maybe some that only should be put in planted tanks. I would figure this info would be pinned somewhere. Also, whats a good fish to start in my planted tank, something hardy and that can handle my "silent cycle"? thanks guys

never had an oto do any damage to my plants either. I'd say large plecs just for the damage they do moving aorund in the plants they get uprooted

Larger Clown loach have a habit of rearranging a planted tank and there ideas may not match yours :lol:

Regards onebto

Otocinclus Catfish is not good for heavily planted tanks.These fishes harm the plants lot.

That is literally about the worst thing you can say in the planted side of the forum. Otos are one the best fish to keep in a planted tank, if not the best IMO, alongside Harlequin Rasbora's.

Where on earth did you hear such a thing, or come to that conclusion. Totally and utterly not true.

Otocinclus Catfish is not good for heavily planted tanks.These fishes harm the plants lot.

Where did you hear that?
Oto's i find are great and have never eaten any of my plants.

Indeed. Ottos are great for planted tanks. It may look like they are eating the plants but in fact they are probably eating the thin layer micro-organisms and algae on the leaves.
Perhaps the plants were dieing which attracts algae therefore it looked like the Ottos were eating the plant?

Some might even suggest that otocinclus don't do well in some planted tanks, considering that algae is their primary food source, and the pains some take to prevent algae in their planted tanks.
The little fella's literally starve, unless they adapt to vegetables in tanks with little or no algae.
I keep a baker's dozen of them in 80 gal planted tank and feed them nightly with vegetables,New life spectrum wafer's (see content's), and spirulina pellet's.
Over the year's I have not seen them harm plant's and am always amused to watch these little fishes.

hammerhead shark, it struggles to squeeze through the plants.

I would just say anything that is overly sized will most likely uproot and move plants around, I haven't had any bad experiences however... I do have an apple snail which consumes all my gloss given the chance.

Any herbivorous fish............
Any digging fish (except with plants on wood/rocks)...................
Most rift lake cichlids etc. with almost all plants....................

Most reactions

trending

Back