Fish Have Bred

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ColdwaterJosh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, I looked into my tank this morning to see a load of white little eggs laying on the ledge in my tank, I have seen roughly 2 little fish or snails? that look like tadpoles swimming around. I would like to keep them alive! So do I need to remove them from the tank to stop their parents from feasting on them?!

The thing i'm unsure about at the moment is what fish it is or if it is a snail? In the tank I have:

2 x Oranda's
1 x Ranchu
1 x Pleco
2 x Apple Snails

Many thanks,

Josh

that's defo a fish and not a snail. i'm not sure what fish it is though. have you noticed breeding tubercles on your male fishes fins? if so, that may give some idea of which fish is the dad. just out of interest, how big is your tank?

cheers :good:

that's defo a fish and not a snail. i'm not sure what fish it is though. have you noticed breeding tubercles on your male fishes fins? if so, that may give some idea of which fish is the dad. just out of interest, how big is your tank?

I haven't noticed the Tubercles on the males fins, no =/

And my tank is 15 UK Gallons.

Unfortunatly, your tanks stocking is going to need reconsideration, the goldfish wont do well in there long-term and and I know of no "pleco" species that will either :(. It's very important you find out what species of "pleco" you have, and be ware the you are going to have to upgrade the aquarium in a very short space of time, to something more like a 50gal.

The fish will be goldfish, but they will just be eaten in the tank.

God knows why I said pleco, I ment loache sorry!

And I can't afford to upgrade my tank at this moment in time, i'm poor :(

Should I remove the eggs from the tank and the others that have hatched and put them into a bucket of water or something?

If you have the time and the knowledge (or are willing to do lots of reading) then yes remove the eggs and fry and hatch them elsewhere. If you have any breeding nets/boxes then stick the eggs in there and pump and air pump with airstone. It's used to create water currents and stop fungus growing on them.

Three fingers is right by the way. Long term that tank wont be suitable. Oh and are you sure the loach is suitable for coldwater? It could be a weather loach in which case it is, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Also you can probably part ex your tank with someone who wants to downgrade maybe? That way it'd cost much less.
Or buy second hand and you'll save a mini fortune. Ebay, Aquarist classified, gumtree and preloved are good places to look.

If you have the time and the knowledge (or are willing to do lots of reading) then yes remove the eggs and fry and hatch them elsewhere. If you have any breeding nets/boxes then stick the eggs in there and pump and air pump with airstone. It's used to create water currents and stop fungus growing on them.

Three fingers is right by the way. Long term that tank wont be suitable. Oh and are you sure the loach is suitable for coldwater? It could be a weather loach in which case it is, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Also you can probably part ex your tank with someone who wants to downgrade maybe? That way it'd cost much less.
Or buy second hand and you'll save a mini fortune. Ebay, Aquarist classified, gumtree and preloved are good places to look.

2 other places to try are www.freecycle.org.uk and or www.freegle.org.uk both are recycling groups where items are given away for free and items can be asked for on there, no guarantee you'll get anything but well worth a try as i just got given a seabray 180 litre corner tank and stand along with 2 brand new filters and 2 new heaters 9still sealed and in boxes)

the other possible loach is the dreaded Chinese algae eater sometimes sold as a sucking loach, if it is a weather loach it will definitely feast on your fish eggs

I understand fully and have been in your position before (with goldfish and other fish). If you cant afford to upgrade tanks...that means you cant afford to keep the animals properly...so they should be rehomed.

I understand fully and have been in your position before (with goldfish and other fish). If you cant afford to upgrade tanks...that means you cant afford to keep the animals properly...so they should be rehomed.

I can look after the amount of fish I have, just not support a whole new batch of offspring.

I can look after the amount of fish I have, just not support a whole new batch of offspring.

you'll still need a bigger tank for the fish you have now though.

you'll still need a bigger tank for the fish you have now though.

Yes I do agree, but at the moment they are about 2" long each, and I am looking to start my new job in a couple of months, and then I will be looking to get a Juwel Rio 240 :drool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back