Fish Activity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

C.low88

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently setup a new tank and I was curious if anyone could chime in as to why my fish donā€™t move much and why they seem to stay behind the plants and are sort of slow moving and lethargic. The tank is a 60 gal with some live plants. Iā€™ve got 2 penguin 350 marineland filters on the back in each corner. I recently did a water test to see if there were any problems and both my nitrites and nitrates came out very low at just about 0 so I doubt it is an ammonia problem. My ph is about 6.8 ( Iā€™m slowly raising it as we speak to a little higher Level) my carbonate hardness was about 40 and my general hardness was about 30. Itā€™s not like my fish donā€™t move they do and any time I approach them or move my hand to the glass the dart away in a lively manner but it just seems as though the arenā€™t super active. Does anyone have any comments, ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on. Perhaps I am just worrying to much and over thinking it. Tank is currently stocked with

2 pearl gourami
2 gold gourami
6 assorted (beautiful) platies
2 golden mollies
And 1 small algae eater.

Is one, or one type of fish in the center of the tank? Perhaps the other fish are intimidated by the dominant fish. Mollies can be pretty mean. I don't know about gouramis.

Guess I'm saying: maybe some of your fish have asserted their dominance/territory over the others. Thus, they all stay in their little corners. Probably not, but it's one possible reason.

Pictures and or video of the tank and fish?

If the pH is 6.8 and the GH is 30ppm, that will stress and weaken the mollies. These fish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 250ppm.

Platies do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm.

Gouramis come from water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm.

-----------------
If there is ammonia or nitrite in the water, it will stress the fish and cause them to hide. Likewise if there is more than 20ppm nitrate in the water, it can stress fish.

If there is no picture on the back of the tank, the fish won't feel secure and might hide.

If they hide straight after the tank light comes on, then that is due to the lighting and how you turn the light on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back