First Tank! Corydoras Species Id And General Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vibora

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, while I do know a bit about fish thanks to growing up surrounded by fish tanks, I've never had my own. I've fed my parent's tank and often discuss the fish with them. So I do understand compatibility, water quality, temperature, various diseases etcetera. My mother has always told me that I should be sure to make any pets not only survive, but thrive, which is why I'm going to be asking questions on how to do so.

My first tank was only set up two days ago, and I've had fish since yesterday. So, without further ado, here's the information on my tank.

Size: 14 gal, (LxWxH) 20"x10"x15"
Filter: Aqueon Quietflow power filter
Heater: Aqueon submersible heater Pro 100
Lights: 15W 120V Incandescent lights

Temps are constant at 77F / 25C. The water was from my mother's tank (60 gallon, so she had plenty to spare), but I'm going to test it soon.

I put in two of these in yesterday, and I got them from a reputable seller. So far, they've gained a lot of color and are eating and swimming around the tank. I know that they are Corydoras, but could I have an ID as to the speciic species?
 (Sorry for the huge pictures.)
IMGP1728_zpseb69c58e.jpg

Anyways, I have a PVC pipe for them to go inside of as a hide, and they like that. I'm thinking about adding two more once these guys are settled because I know how social corys are, but I also want a second opinion.

I'm going to add a Zebra Nerite snail to help with algae. As for a top feeder to help seperate the food, I'm not too sure what I want for that, so suggestions for a compatible community fish would be great.

I'm giving them a pinch of these twice a day, so I think that should work.
IMGP1734_zps22c37520.jpg

It does have a live plant, and you can see an accidentally zoomed in picture of my setup.
IMGP1727_zps7233b3cf.jpg

I do plan on a background too.

But is this okay so far? Suggestions and comments if I'm missing anything would be great. I'm loving the cats so far, and want to make sure that they thrive. Thanks for looking!

Only could find an old ammonia kit. It's at .25

I'm not sure of the cory cat's species, but you did say you set up the tank 2 days ago. Is the filter cycled? Also, cories like shoals of 5-6. And I can't tell if the substrate is sand or gravel, it looks like sand but I can't be sure.

Oh, if ammonia is detectable to a water change. I'm not sure how far along in the cycle your tank is.

It's not cycled, I don't think. I really feel really dumb now. I hope that they're okay. The water is from a tank that has been going for over ten years, at least and I'm about to add some bacteria from the filter.  I'm going to return the fish. I feel so dumb now. My poor fish.

Thanks so much. Should they be fine if I add bacteria from my mom's filter?

Yes, if you add the filter media from your mom's filter it will jump start the cycle. :)

Yes, get a good chunk of media from your mum's filter; her tank can easily donate up to a quarter of it's media without being affected.

Put that in your filter (make sure it stays wet) and you should be either completely cycled, or very close to it. Just be prepared to do any extra water changes that might be needed while the bacteria 'settle in' and multiply.

Thank you both. I'll wait a week or two once it's cycled before I add more fish anyways.

Great! I'll look up the specifics so that I can make the tank as perfect as possible for them.

Will different cory species school together? Or should I get more Julii in a few weeks?

Different will school together but they will independent sometimes. I would suggest getting more Julii Cory 6+ is a good number to have

I just don't think this is a julii lol

But I've been wrong many times before, so I could be wrong now :dunno:

Sodalis. Pellets are no good as food for the Cory. "Veggie" isn't good for a 95% carnivore !!!
Buy some with high protein !!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back