Filter type, (was poll).

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonathanscottlee

Reaction score
Am considering a new tank - what type of filtration is the best, most effective, best to maintain, plant friendly, fish friendly? If there's one that agrees to all that list; tell me what it is! :D

Does anyone hate any of the types listed? Have I missed any filtration types?

I don't undersdtand what you have in mind when you say "external" or "other external".

I use Eheim externals, but voted for external (eg fluval) because they have the same mode of operation.

I have got a Fluval 4+ in my 35UK/41US gallon tank and I quite like it, I like the way you can decide whether it makes bubbles or not (unlike the one in my 16UK/19US tropiquariam) but I much prefer my Eheim Ecco externals. I have 2 2233s in my 71/84 gallon tank and they are great.

You can't see them and you can't hear them! What else do you need?

For canisters, I am an advocate of the marineland magnums. You can get the unit with the biowhell and this IMO will outperdorm anything else out there. It also comes with a micron cartridge for water polishing without messy powders.

One way not mentioned is a sump system to incorporate a wet/dry trickle system. This could arguably be the best all around method when you factor in the conveinience.

Tank Size will greatly dictate what you can use however.

GL

Get the Biowheel line from Marineland. Damn good filter system that has two media baskets, 2 double filter slots for carbon filters, and the two biowheels that bacteria grows on that churns the water. Plus its the #1 filter for producing oxygen in the water. IMO its the best on the market.

In my 6ft tank i use 2 eheim externals and a fluval 4 internal

In my 2 ft tank i use a ehiem internal filter and a fluval 103

in my 3ft goldfish tank i use a external fluval 204 and a fluval 2plus

I have a canister filter and it's amazing! 6 "layers" of filtration! It's a Filstar XP2 and I have it on my 55 gal along with an UGF with 2 powerheads.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back