Filter Media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamB

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

This may seem silly but I do not understand what filter media is. It's described often, used frequently, but when I look at my filter, I just don't understand what part of it is the media. When I have replaced my filters, I just have bought the packs.

This is my filter: http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqueon_QuietFlow_20_Filter_Aqueon_Quiet_Flow_20_p/RES06081.htm?gclid=CMmL48X4p7cCFQ3l7AodpisAjg

11318_400wh.jpg
 ​
Above is what I put in the filter. The cartridge. It contains carbon. The carbon is kind of hard to get out. 

What part is the media? What should I be replacing?

Media refers to the 'stuff' inside the filter. It could be sponges, floss, ceramic or a combination of these.

I dont advise changing anything until it is falling apart you need simply give it a squeeze in used tank water when you are doing a water change.

So. Do the cartridges count as the media..? should i add stuff to the middle of the cartridge? :/

As far as I thought, media is the whole thing, anything your bacteria can stick to.....  my filter recommends that its changed every 6 weeks, it gets rinsed but never thrown away....  

You only really need to get rid of the solid waste by rinsing it in old tank water...  I would keep your new cartridge as a spare and stick with your old one and just rinse it out and give it a good swish in a bucket of tank water next time you do a water change....

Media is anything beaficial bacteria can grow on and anything that can remove things from the water and have a positive impact on water chemistry.

Your filter cartridge is a synthetic fabric designed to remove larg particles and silt from the water. Bacteria also grow on it and the carbon inside. The carbon also will remove some dissolved organic materials in the water. you can also get media to soften the water, remove phosphates, nitrates, and neutralize acids (crushed coral).

In My filter I have a piece of foam to screen out large particles in the water intake. They I have crushed coral (stabilizes PH, provides a place for bacteria to grow and adds some minerals to my very soft water). Sometimes i also add some phosphate remover. Then a final piece of foam to protect the pump motor from any large pieces of media.

An aquarium water filter is noting more than media and a water pump.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back