Filling Co2 Bottles?

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
1
Points
38
how easy is this to do, is it worth me getting a refillable co2 bottle? I am Leeds so i would think there is somewhere to fill it up but i'm thinking it will be much easier to buy disposables if refill stations are hard to come by.
 
Pull out the phone book and look for welding or CO2 supply stores. Also some paintball stores may be able to fill small CO2 canisters. Some stores send the canisters out to be filled, so be aware it can take a few days to fill. I go to a local paintball store and they can fill both my 20oz cylinder and 5lb canister. The 20oz costs $4 to fill and the 5lb costs about $12. They last 2-4 months.
 
My experience with CO2 refills is that it does not seem to matter how big the tank you want to fill. The price to fill my 10 lb tank is within 10% of the price of filling a 5 lb. If you have a welding gas supplier in your town, drop by and talk to them. I ended up getting my tank from the one in my town at a price that would be very competitive with anything I could find on E-bay. I had looked there first and wanted to make sure I would be able to refill so I went to the welding gas shop. After talking it over with them, they sold me exactly what I needed at a very good price. It seems that a welder won't put up with the price gouging you get at the LFS so their prices are quite good.
 
When i used to play paintball we would just go to beer distributors to get our co2 tanks filled.

I don't even know if you guys have beer distributors over there...but anywhere that sells kegs should be able to do it.
 
how easy is this to do, is it worth me getting a refillable co2 bottle? I am Leeds so i would think there is somewhere to fill it up but i'm thinking it will be much easier to buy disposables if refill stations are hard to come by.


If you are looking at starting up now, it would be a cheaper option to get an adaptor with your kit that allows you to use welding CO2 containers. Disposable, but 1 will last ages. Not grade 1 gas but the purity will only be contaminanted with nitrogen - which is in the air all around us anyway so has no effect on My fishy or plants.

Can get 600g for £9.76 from machine mart. for my tank, thats about 9 months woth.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top