Fert application timing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

When do you dose your liquid fertilizer in your planted aquarium?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OnlyGenusCaps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I am curious if people think there is a difference between applying liquid fert to the water column in the morning or evening in terms of when the plants can use it versus when algae could grab it. If I had to guess, I suspect that if you applied in the evening plants should have a greater capacity for storage. So perhaps an evening dose would favor the plants over the algae? But, I'd like to know when people apply their liquid fert.

I know through dosing CO2 a few years ago that plants don't photosynthesize in the evening. Based on that I would recommend dosing ferts about 1/2 hour before lights on. That way the ferts can circulate throughout the water column and the plants can utilize them.

depends on what fert and what levels are already there, if you know what I mean. If the nutrient in question is already in the water column and is more than the day's uptake it wouldn't really matter when you dose the extra amount does it? If you have to dose because the levels of the nutrient are completely depleted then I would vote for before the lights on to get ready to photosynthesis when the uptake would most likely be higher than at night.

CO2 can be turned on when the lights come on, not need to do so before the hour, or even 3 - 4 hours before lights on as some people advise, that's just excessive and a waste.

I'm struggling with nitrates and phosphate at the moment. They are always nearing 0 ppm!

I don't want to dose too much but I can't have zero levels obviously. To this end I'm going to make a stepper motor dosing pump to dose early in the morning before lights on.

I I don’t have set times. I just make sure I wait 24 hours after Prime has been added to tank.

CO2 can be turned on when the lights come on, not need to do so before the hour, or even 3 - 4 hours before lights on as some people advise, that's just excessive and a waste.
I know through dosing CO2 a few years ago that plants don't photosynthesize in the evening. Based on that I would recommend dosing ferts about 1/2 hour before lights on. That way the ferts can circulate throughout the water column and the plants can utilize them.
I suspect that nutrients are quite different than CO2. Only plants with CAM metabolism can store C at night (think succulents, but there are others too). There are aquatic cam plants (e.g. this work). So, those plants are taking up CO2 at night, but supplementary dosing is still probably unnecessary because of the higher CO2 available from the continuation of respiration but cessation of photosynthesis. However, most plants can and do store nutrients, some even being luxury consumers that can store quite a lot. That process is independent of photosynthesis, however it may be dependent on the resistance of diffusion and thus could be impacted by any stomata and their closure. That said, I presume vascular plants are likely to be able to store higher levels of nutrients, which me be able to be be done at all hours. If this hypothesis is correct, then it would seem to me best to dose in the evening or even after the lights have gone off. It seems clear that algae are faster at taking up N and P from the water column, which is why I was wondering if they experience a trade-off with storage capacity, and thus timing of input might favor vascular species.
I'm struggling with nitrates and phosphate at the moment. They are always nearing 0 ppm!

I don't want to dose too much but I can't have zero levels obviously. To this end I'm going to make a stepper motor dosing pump to dose early in the morning before lights on.
I am also struggling with this issue. I have chronically low N and P available to the plants and because of this they barely grow, leaving what little is there to fuel algal growth. It is my squirting in of the liquid fertilizer opportunistically that made me begin to consider whether the timing of in put was important. I've begun to err on the side of putting it in near lights-out.

I suspect that nutrients are quite different than CO2. Only plants with CAM metabolism can store C at night (think succulents, but there are others too). There are aquatic cam plants (e.g. this work). So, those plants are taking up CO2 at night, but supplementary dosing is still probably unnecessary because of the higher CO2 available from the continuation of respiration but cessation of photosynthesis. However, most plants can and do store nutrients, some even being luxury consumers that can store quite a lot. That process is independent of photosynthesis, however it may be dependent on the resistance of diffusion and thus could be impacted by any stomata and their closure. That said, I presume vascular plants are likely to be able to store higher levels of nutrients, which me be able to be be done at all hours. If this hypothesis is correct, then it would seem to me best to dose in the evening or even after the lights have gone off. It seems clear that algae are faster at taking up N and P from the water column, which is why I was wondering if they experience a trade-off with storage capacity, and thus timing of input might favor vascular species.

excess nutrients will cause algae. especially excessive trace element dosing will induce algae. I have no BBA, BGA or a host of others that most complain of. I have some GDA I need to fix, but again that's down to narrowing the water parameters.

I monitor my tank water parameters daily using a Hanna phosphate checker and the potassium photometer. I'm seeing about 0.2 - 0.4 ppm potassium consumption per day, phosphate about 0.01 - 0.05 ppm per day, it's erratic. There's also an issue of the accuracy of my tests, but Hanna is pretty good. As you know phosphate is quite reactive with other elements, especially iron, so that asks the question is how much of that is consumption - or precipitation?

Plants don't need that much CO2 I find. Nowhere near the 30 mg/l that people are saying. My drop checker is blue, and at my GH and KH that means CO2 is about 10 mg/l or less. And I have a very heavily planted tank.

excess nutrients will cause algae. especially excessive trace element dosing will induce algae. I have no BBA, BGA or a host of others that most complain of. I have some GDA I need to fix, but again that's down to narrowing the water parameters.
Sounds like a nice aquarium you have! I had nothing in my water; it was devoid of anything useful to the plants as it turns out. That seems to have lead to no plant growth and plenty of staghorn algae (plus luxuriant carpet algae on the rocks, which I honestly rather like). I began by only using root tabs in hopes of feeding the vascular plants rooted into the substrate, and avoiding feeding the algae. I saw little growth. It was only after beginning to add liquid fert to the water column that I began to see plant growth, even of the rooted plants. Much to my surprise. Even more surprising, the dosing of the water column didn't result in an algae bloom, but has reduced the growth rate. This goes against everything I know from natural systems, where we have very good data, but I am going with it.
I monitor my tank water parameters daily using a Hanna phosphate checker and the potassium photometer. I'm seeing about 0.2 - 0.4 ppm potassium consumption per day, phosphate about 0.01 - 0.05 ppm per day, it's erratic. There's also an issue of the accuracy of my tests, but Hanna is pretty good. As you know phosphate is quite reactive with other elements, especially iron, so that asks the question is how much of that is consumption - or precipitation?
Thanks for sharing what meters you use! I always find that instructional to learn what others are finding success with.
Plants don't need that much CO2 I find. Nowhere near the 30 mg/l that people are saying. My drop checker is blue, and at my GH and KH that means CO2 is about 10 mg/l or less. And I have a very heavily planted tank.
I have no experience injecting CO2 into an aquarium. But from my very outsider perspective, when looking at the species that "require CO2", it seems they are ones that would prefer to be emergent in habitat. I've taken the view the CO2 lets you grow plants submerged that otherwise don't really want to be submerged permanently.

That said, we've rather gotten off topic, which I am prone to. But I do want to know how people dose liquid ferts.

You don't need CO2 injection to grow plants. You can have high light with no CO2 and plants will grow fine. However you have to be very careful about nutrient control, or else you will give algae a foothold. People are either lazy or misinformed when it comes to aquarium fertilisers.

I can't discuss your situation unless I know what your water chemistry is. GH, KH etc. . . If in doubt get a Triton ICP test done of the water so you can see what your water consists of.

I'm using those meters to monitor my water parameters because of one thing only: I want to know what my tank is using. I don't care if someone says dosing 10 ppm of potassium a day is fine. My data logs shows that potassium consumption is 0.2 - 0.4 ppm per day!!! So why dump 10 ppm K into the water???!! See what I mean? These so called "experts" we have in this hobby have a lot of explaining to do. Most of them don't have a clue and just parrot rubbish.

You don't need CO2 injection to grow plants.
I understand that, and I am not running CO2. Oddly, this redo of the same tank, same substrate, same water added, nearly the same plants, and same light - completely different issues. Ah non-linear dynamics!
If in doubt get a Triton ICP test done of the water so you can see what your water consists of.
I've not come across that test. I might just have to pick one up. Thanks for the recommendation!
I want to know what my tank is using. I don't care if someone says dosing 10 ppm of potassium a day is fine. My data logs shows that potassium consumption is 0.2 - 0.4 ppm per day!!!
I like the idea of doing a draw down measurement. Valuable approach. Now if we could do it with labeled isotopes... Then we're in my wheelhouse.
These so called "experts" we have in this hobby have a lot of explaining to do. Most of them don't have a clue and just parrot rubbish.
You're a bit cantankerous aren't you? I think I like you.

I understand that, and I am not running CO2. Oddly, this redo of the same tank, same substrate, same water added, nearly the same plants, and same light - completely different issues. Ah non-linear dynamics!

what do you mean "same water"? Is this straight from the tap? If so, then that statement would be false wouldn't it? There's always variability in the mains water supply. Hence I always start with a clean slate and go the RO/DI route like the reef aquarists.

You're a bit cantankerous aren't you? I think I like you.

no, just cynical and suspicious sometimes. There are some youtube influencers who basically shouldn't be doing what they are doing, but they're getting away with it. Why? Because they make clickbait content that generates views and create drama etc. . . but their real knowledge is pitiful to say the least. And for some strange reason they blabber on spouting the same tired old advice they hear from "experts" and that's how the myths perpetuate themselves. What gets me is why most people listen to them and don't bother take them to task sometimes . .

If you are of the scientific mindset then you'll understand not to accept something as true just because someone says it's so, and yet so many so called "experts" on other forums and YouTube do this without their audience raising any objections.

I was on another forum giving advice and experiences that went against the standard dogma, and my reward was a permanent ban and being labelled a troublemaker. Another poster on the site was banned too, he came from an advanced chemistry background and his findings contradicted the forum's standard advice thread. His findings also contradicted the advice given in a recently published book on aquascaping (PM if you want to know the title). Because the author of this book was one of the founders of the forum, he overruled the other moderators of the site and got this poster banned. We later found out that this author was paid by the aquatic companies who also probably paid for the running costs of the site. Anyone with any sense will know that this presents a conflict of interests. It was disgusting behaviour to say the least, because Free Speech should be Free Speech.

what do you mean "same water"? Is this straight from the tap? If so, then that statement would be false wouldn't it? There's always variability in the mains water supply. Hence I always start with a clean slate and go the RO/DI route like the reef aquarists.
Nope, I'm on a well. A well that suggests there may be a cave system somewhere beneath me for all of the calcium in the water, and had there been a bit more iron in the water, I might have scrapped the house and opened a mine. So, I use RO. Have a nice 5 stage home system. The RO water does not vary in a measurable way across time. I've been using this type of system here for 10 years and test the water at least 2 times a week. Although in the strictest of senses, you are correct, it is not the "same water" as they are unlikely to be the same molecules. I am being flip, of course.
If you are of the scientific mindset then you'll understand not to accept something as true just because someone says it's so, and yet so many so called "experts" on other forums and YouTube do this without their audience raising any objections.
While I suspect by most measures, I would be considered to have a "scientific mindset", I am still human and subject to the same cognitive pitfalls as anyone. You'd be surprised what you do and don't question as you are taking in new information. I find that when people are new to a hobby such as this, they tend to overthink, while not questioning what seems obvious to the experienced. I recently encountered this with a new member to a society for the cultivation of plants where I am a member. I have been growing these plants for... Well, I suddenly feel old when thinking about it in terms of years. This new member had clearly done a great of research to find the "right" way to grow these plants, and yet was failing to deal with some of the basics that would ensure success. He was highly focused on aspects that people discuss often, but are not necessary for successful cultivation. As he spoke, I realized I am at a similar stage with aquaria. I've kept them for years in my youth, but returning to it, I immediately over-thought everything while not questioning basics that I should have. This has lead me to have a planted tank that is very over-filtered, where the plants struggle but the algae succeeds. As I am teaching again this semester, I've been pondering how one imparts the knowledge that comes with experience to help move those still learning toward success. To be clear, I've not yet figured this out.
I was on another forum giving advice and experiences that went against the standard dogma, and my reward was a permanent ban and being labelled a troublemaker. Another poster on the site was banned too, he came from an advanced chemistry background and his findings contradicted the forum's standard advice thread.
Would that perhaps be the gentleman who runs the "Aquarium Science" website? I've had some enjoyable conversations with him in the recent past.
It was disgusting behaviour to say the least, because Free Speech should be Free Speech.
I am a vocal advocate for free speech in all its forms. Though it's fair-weather, cause célèbre. I have a little saying about this topic that I will leave you with:

It is upon the back of free expression that all other freedoms are built. Remove this foundation, however unsightly, and all remaining freedoms will erode.

Nope, I'm on a well. A well that suggests there may be a cave system somewhere beneath me for all of the calcium in the water, and had there been a bit more iron in the water, I might have scrapped the house and opened a mine. So, I use RO. Have a nice 5 stage home system. The RO water does not vary in a measurable way across time. I've been using this type of system here for 10 years and test the water at least 2 times a week. Although in the strictest of senses, you are correct, it is not the "same water" as they are unlikely to be the same molecules. I am being flip, of course.

Then my question to you would be: what are you using to harden the water? Or are you using it straight from the RO as it is? Get an ICP test done of the water so a proper discussion can be had.

While I suspect by most measures, I would be considered to have a "scientific mindset", I am still human and subject to the same cognitive pitfalls as anyone. You'd be surprised what you do and don't question as you are taking in new information. I find that when people are new to a hobby such as this, they tend to overthink, while not questioning what seems obvious to the experienced. I recently encountered this with a new member to a society for the cultivation of plants where I am a member. I have been growing these plants for... Well, I suddenly feel old when thinking about it in terms of years. This new member had clearly done a great of research to find the "right" way to grow these plants, and yet was failing to deal with some of the basics that would ensure success. He was highly focused on aspects that people discuss often, but are not necessary for successful cultivation. As he spoke, I realized I am at a similar stage with aquaria. I've kept them for years in my youth, but returning to it, I immediately over-thought everything while not questioning basics that I should have. This has lead me to have a planted tank that is very over-filtered, where the plants struggle but the algae succeeds. As I am teaching again this semester, I've been pondering how one imparts the knowledge that comes with experience to help move those still learning toward success. To be clear, I've not yet figured this out.

No, I'm not surprised. I make the mistake too myself, but less so BECAUSE I'm more experienced. All experience does is give you a sense of knowing what's important and what isn't, it helps you narrow down things quicker, although it isn't infallible. For this reason I sometimes read youtube comments and/or other comments in threads where a view that is expressed that is not accepted or "popular" in the off chance that there might be something there . . . the problem with experience is that you earn it by going through things, you have to pay your dues in the time spent. You can't really impart that in a classroom, you can tell people the "right" path and what not to do, but they can still sometimes go off and do other things you might not have thought of and make matters worse. You can "learn" from other people's experience in the sense they help you do the work or have been through the problems that you're about to do so, so they can save you from "dead ends" and wasted time. In my journal thread I'll introduce something know as the "powerfilter". It's not my invention, but a device popularised by another aquarist I was reading about, who claimed it was the best mechanical filter arrangement you can get. I of course, did not believe him, so I tried it myself for only a few weeks and can conclude he's right. It's almost pathetically simple in design but does take mechanical filtration to another level: better than filter socks, automatic roller filters, sponges, and overflow barriers etc. . .

Would that perhaps be the gentleman who runs the "Aquarium Science" website? I've had some enjoyable conversations with him in the recent past.

No, this was a UK forum.

I am a vocal advocate for free speech in all its forms. Though it's fair-weather, cause célèbre. I have a little saying about this topic that I will leave you with:

It is upon the back of free expression that all other freedoms are built. Remove this foundation, however unsightly, and all remaining freedoms will erode.

It's been eroded already. Look at the MSM and our law courts. Now you can't speak your mind for fear of prosecution for "Hate Speech", or not being PC etc . . . So what does a person do if he wants to find the truth? Well you do what any logical person would do: if the mainstream won't give you the truth then you got to go digging in dirty places . . .

Then my question to you would be: what are you using to harden the water? Or are you using it straight from the RO as it is? Get an ICP test done of the water so a proper discussion can be had.
I've not looked into it much, but first pass I've only found tests for marine and not freshwater. Not the same test, but my pH runs 82.-8.4, I have the N hat trick of 0ppm (I can push it towards 5ppm of nitrate with every other day dosing), P at zero, K at 15, and a GH and KH of 8 each. My RO has nothing in it, or nearly, with a TDS of 4-6ppm. Nothing seems to keep my pH down. The RO pH is about 6.2, and though I realize it is a log scale, big water changes seem to leave the pH unchanged in ways I find vexing.
No, I'm not surprised. I make the mistake too myself, but less so BECAUSE I'm more experienced. All experience does is give you a sense of knowing what's important and what isn't, it helps you narrow down things quicker, although it isn't infallible. For this reason I sometimes read youtube comments and/or other comments in threads where a view that is expressed that is not accepted or "popular" in the off chance that there might be something there . . . the problem with experience is that you earn it by going through things, you have to pay your dues in the time spent. You can't really impart that in a classroom, you can tell people the "right" path and what not to do, but they can still sometimes go off and do other things you might not have thought of and make matters worse. You can "learn" from other people's experience in the sense they help you do the work or have been through the problems that you're about to do so, so they can save you from "dead ends" and wasted time.
I still try. Rather the mantra of teaching in general I find.
In my journal thread I'll introduce something know as the "powerfilter". It's not my invention, but a device popularised by another aquarist I was reading about, who claimed it was the best mechanical filter arrangement you can get. I of course, did not believe him, so I tried it myself for only a few weeks and can conclude he's right. It's almost pathetically simple in design but does take mechanical filtration to another level: better than filter socks, automatic roller filters, sponges, and overflow barriers etc. . .
I'd love to learn about that, so "Yes please!" In terms innovation, one of my committee members in graduate school who was eminent in the field liked to say that "If an old scientist tells you something can be done, you probably can do it; if an old scientist tells you that something absolutely can't be done, you almost certainly can do it." It's a bit of a creative take on the old saying that "old ideas don't die, old scientists do".
It's been eroded already. Look at the MSM and our law courts. Now you can't speak your mind for fear of prosecution for "Hate Speech", or not being PC etc . . . So what does a person do if he wants to find the truth? Well you do what any logical person would do: if the mainstream won't give you the truth then you got to go digging in dirty places . . .
While the left has definitely taken center-stage as the language police of late, they by no means have a monopoly on curtailing the speech of others. It was not all that long ago that George Carlin was causing conservatives to clutch their pearls. These days the right does like to position themselves in opposition to the "oppressive" left all the way up to the point where they get offended that is. At that point, they both sound about the same. I wish people would realize that free expression is little more than your right to be offended by what others have to say. Not a great sales pitch, to be sure. But, it's a right we should all cherish. Still, I have to remind myself of this simple truth on occasion while rolling my eyes when listening to some.

I've not looked into it much, but first pass I've only found tests for marine and not freshwater. Not the same test, but my pH runs 82.-8.4, I have the N hat trick of 0ppm (I can push it towards 5ppm of nitrate with every other day dosing), P at zero, K at 15, and a GH and KH of 8 each. My RO has nothing in it, or nearly, with a TDS of 4-6ppm. Nothing seems to keep my pH down. The RO pH is about 6.2, and though I realize it is a log scale, big water changes seem to leave the pH unchanged in ways I find vexing.

Triton will accept freshwater examples. You just have to mark it as "Freshwater" on the vials. Email them about this to confirm. I use them for my ICP tests on my tank water.

Failing that there are plenty of ICP test providers around, depends what you want to sample, but charge is higher, but it will be worth it for the piece of mind.

If you're already using RO/DI then hopefully you get 0 TDS out so you can start with a clean slate and use whatever water hardener to get the KH and GH to desired levels that you want.

Having stable pH at around 6.2 is good. Mine's about 5.5 out of the RO unit and this is wrecking havoc with my DI resin!

While the left has definitely taken center-stage as the language police of late, they by no means have a monopoly on curtailing the speech of others. It was not all that long ago that George Carlin was causing conservatives to clutch their pearls. These days the right does like to position themselves in opposition to the "oppressive" left all the way up to the point where they get offended that is. At that point, they both sound about the same. I wish people would realize that free expression is little more than your right to be offended by what others have to say. Not a great sales pitch, to be sure. But, it's a right we should all cherish. Still, I have to remind myself of this simple truth on occasion while rolling my eyes when listening to some.

The Left should NEVER have had the platform that they do. They're propped up behind the scenes. Anyone who can't see that needs to get their head examined.

They're turning everything weird and messed up. I don't even think they know what they're on about. They're just puppets for the . . . . (well not wise to discuss it here anyway)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back