Female paradise fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I got a paradise fish 2 weeks ago and I tough it was a male and now I am not sure because I think I saw him lay eggs. If the PF is a female, is she gonna be happy alone? One last question, are they picky at food because I got her/him fluval bug bite for small to medium sized tropical fish and the fish won't really eat it. Here are some photos
Screenshot_20200129-160828.png
20200129_160041.jpg

If the fish is an adult, and the colors in these photos are accurate, then your new fish sure looks like a female. My paradise fish ate the same as all my others ~ a combination of freeze-dried tubifex, two kinds of flakes, and live or frozen bloodworms (I'm a big believer in a varied diet tailored to the species). If your paradise doesn't want to eat, feed your guppies their normal flakes, and ~ if she's a healthy fish ~ she'll watch them & pretty soon join in. In my experience (decades) many fish don't care for hard food in a pelletized form, which it sounds like you're using. Also, are you sure your tank isn't too warm for her? Paradise fish do not like a tank that's too warm.

It goes without saying that if anything in any tank is off, we all test our water parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate, right?

Good luck. Linda.

If the fish is an adult, and the colors in these photos are accurate, then your new fish sure looks like a female. My paradise fish ate the same as all my others ~ a combination of freeze-dried tubifex, two kinds of flakes, and live or frozen bloodworms (I'm a big believer in a varied diet tailored to the species). If your paradise doesn't want to eat, feed your guppies their normal flakes, and ~ if she's a healthy fish ~ she'll watch them & pretty soon join in. In my experience (decades) many fish don't care for hard food in a pelletized form, which it sounds like you're using. Also, are you sure your tank isn't too warm for her? Paradise fish do not like a tank that's too warm.

It goes without saying that if anything in any tank is off, we all test our water parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate, right?

Good luck. Linda.
Hi my paradise fish now seems to very like the fluval bug bites and I also feed him/her frozen bloodworm. The water is not too warm it is at 22°celcius. My fish is just a juvenile so she/he will improve color I think.

Good luck. Linda.
I also have another question, the employes at the petstore told me my paradise fish would not grow any bigger but it is only 2 inches so were they right?

Most reactions

trending

Back