Favorite Thing About Fishkeeping?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hmm...let's take a few of peoples favorite things.
Introducing new fish. I do it with lights off so not much to see. Of course that is after spending hours at the local shops studying said fish.
Breeding fish can be fun, unless it's Chiclids, then watch out. Or livebearers, then watch out for another reason.
Fish interacting with you when doing a vac. You mean, excuse me but I really need you to move so I can clean your home.
Research, very important!
A healthy tank, great, but always something that needs to be tweaked.
Watching interactions. The great fun of Corys and Otos playing. Or the murderous rampage of Chiclids with fry.
Finding plants that are not salad.

So, pretty much I enjoy all of it.

Lol frapadoodle. I with frap on that one actually. Pretty much anything

frapadoodle said:
Fish interacting with you when doing a vac. You mean, excuse me but I really need you to move so I can clean your home.

yes.gif
Oh yes, trying to shift a 20" plec so you can vac under him. he shifts about 2-3cm then shuffles back again, then I have to pick up his tail with one hand while vaccing under him. He wont shift. Some of my others just like to have good nose or swim through my hand, then there are the naughty ones like my oscar and Urau that just want to do it themselves by bashing the gravel vac.

Haha same here. :)  Fish keeping is just so fun-what's not to love?  :)

probably buying the fish and sitting with them in the car lookng at them and thinking awwwwwwwwwwwww theyre so cute

KieranBoyne said:
Hmm.. This is a good question and it will definitely bring up some interesting answers lol. Ive been meaning to ask this for ages but i never got around to it. My favourite thing is.... Probably introducing new fish... The moment they swim out of the net into there new home always gets me excited. That's level at the top with watching them. They are so calming and soothing. The next favourite thing for me is... Err.... Probably learning all of their different personalaties...
smile.png

I agree with the above answer!  Suits me as well!

i particularly love the colour and behaviour patterns of my fish.

i have a pair of extremely inquisitive Bolivian rams who seem to follow me if you know what i mean

Just to come at this sideways, a couple of things I dislike.
Getting to know those personalities for all too brief a time. I recently lost my Betta. Even though the tank is filled with Neons, Otos and Albino Corys, it's still empty.

And those long hours haunting the lfs and seeing just a gorgeous fish....that you can't have because you are fully stocked.

One of the things that has been fun though is a fellow fishkeeper I met who woks at one of the chain pet stores. One day she tells me to "fix" her tank. Easy, it was an amonnia spike caused by stocking too quickly. Daily waterchanges til the filter catches up.
Also do to corporate rules she can't tell someone they are an idiot. But she can let me do my best to politely say, you are an inept twerp who couldn't properly care for a pet rock. Seriously though, she does refer people to me for questions about fish I am more familiar with, as she keeps African Chiclids.

As a relative newcomer to the hobby, for me it's building my stock and schools so I get "natural" behaviour from the fish. At last I have enough Rainbows to school and display, and since I introduced 4 more Cherry Barb fry into the tank, I'm getting more compact schools of Rainbows, Cherry Barbs and Tetras.

Since most of my fish were purchased as juveniles, caught as juveniles or bred, I'm also enjoying watching them grow and colour up to adults.

All I need now is to work out which of my remaining Cherry Barb fry are male or female so I can get the right ratio in the tank. So far they all look like girls, but this might just be because they're young.

But overall, it's the serenity of watching them swim about happily.

I think that my favorite part is still the fact that you do not have to do much at all after the initial work. While my dog certainly loves me, I sometimes do not want to go for a walk when it is pouring rain outside. I have found that just being around the fish can be extremely soothing.

I like frapadoodle's answer. I HATE that feeling when you see the most awesome fish that would he perfect. Then you remember you have no space.... :(

Yeah, Kieran, saw a gold/halfblack Angel.
But with two mated pairs already it's close enough to Murder Inc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back