strange / unexpected water currents, in tanks…

Magnum Man43 157

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,692
Reaction score
6,955
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
It sterted ( is most easy to see regularly ) in my silver dollar tank, that is full of pothos roots, that the dollars continually munch on, but I see it in my other tanks as well, as the occasional root breaks off, watching the pieces float around reveals many unexpected current flows within the tanks… most of my tanks are simulating rivers, with air bars and hang on back filters, but the shape of the tanks, and the ornaments ( driftwood, plants rocks, etc. ), all change the flow, sometimes way different, than what we expected… I suppose flake food would do the same, to watch, however doesn’t last long enough in my tanks to do a good study on flow… anyone else ever noticed the actual water movement in your tank???
 
Yeah, frustrating when you want food to land in a certain spot but temporarily forget to drop it lower than the current maker :oops:
 
It makes it really hard to set up river tanks. Water hits the glass walls and does what it will. I've had tanks where every bit of mulm and debris accumulates in one corner, and not the one I'd expect.
 
I use a Jeboa Cross flow circulation pump in my 180 and besides how it has to shoot around wood it is pretty straight forward.
Water flows from one end to other with enough volume to have no sand or gravel on the opposite end of tank.
It is not a hurricane and took months to happen but over time and with consistent flow the substrate slopes from zero to 4 inches end to end.
It happened 'naturally' and took some getting used to but I like it now after many many years.
PXL_20260826_133753691.MP.webp

You can see the pump on upper right side of tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top