Fancy Behavior

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fresh_Start

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed from watching my new fancy goldfish that they sometimes seem to wobble rather than swim. Especially when they want to only go a short distance. It reminds me of how some kinds of penguins look when walking on land.

Sadly due to great demand on the commercail market, these fish are being breed and breed to the extent where some fish can no longer swim probably. This is why the Fancy Goldfish can not be kept with other faster fish like Commons and Comets as the less robust fancies are easily out competed for food.

Sadly due to great demand on the commercail market, these fish are being breed and breed to the extent where some fish can no longer swim probably. This is why the Fancy Goldfish can not be kept with other faster fish like Commons and Comets as the less robust fancies are easily out competed for food.

thats just sad, and people don't realise :-(

It is sad, at the moment the majority of the Fancies are fine and can cope well. But there are some that don't last to full size as they find it hard to fight water currents and compete for food. Lets just hope these fish stay in the minority. :/

It is sad, at the moment the majority of the Fancies are fine and can cope well. But there are some that don't last to full size as they find it hard to fight water currents and compete for food. Lets just hope these fish stay in the minority.

yes, i hope to god they do stay the minority! i can't stand to imagine all fancies not being able to swim :sick:

Yes, I went to bad lfs last summer and they had a batch of 50 Fantails in, these were obviously all from one spawn and the poor things couldn't swim. They were in with the fast swimming greedy Golden Rudds, two weeks later I went and discovered only two were left. I asked the assitant and he said the others had all died of a mystery disease. It was obvious the poor little fish had starved from being out competed by the shoal of 20 Golden Rudd. They feed the fish minimal amounts of food by a timer anyway so the poor things stood no chance.

I think they can still swim if they want. Usually they like to hover in one place though.

Yeah their fine, I was just commenting on some that are worse of.

I also noticed the two goldfish spend most of their time together. The gold one usually follows the calcio around the tank. It appears that the fish are social animals. I'm not sure how just one would get along by themselves.

This is probably because they like a certain area of the tank. Where the current etc is just right and they can float around lazily.

I just noticed mine wobbling today....at least that's what I think it is. They're wobbling fast but not going far. Is this normal?

Yes that can be normally, due to their inbreeding some fish have great difficulties swimming.

I have noticed that sometimes my fancies swim a little odd, especially when near the current of the outlet of the submersable filter, they tend to surf the current and sometimes wobble sideways. The worse one for doing this wobble thing is my Lion head, for those of you who don't know these fish do not have a dorsal fin so find it a lot more difficult to keep upright in a fast flowing current. (quite funny to watch especially when I know that it is doing it to be lazy so that it doesn't have to swim from one side of the tank to the other)

I have to say Ryan does seem to know his stuff about fish. He has been a great help in my quest to finding out what is wrong with my oranda and now my fish seems to be coming round after I have followed Ryans advice.

goldfish, koi, and orfe are shoaling fish and like the company of there own kind even thought they ar ecripled the fancies still like each others company.

Opcn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back