Eating Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JanJan

Reaction score
I am not posting this to get into a political debate or push my own ideas on you or make anyone feel bad! I am very Squiemish myself so cannot get on with the texture of meat and fish but that's just me, I can make tuna mayo sandwiches, cook a chicken etc... for my fella but just can't eat it. Ok I admit I am a veggie, 20 years since aged 16.

What I can tell is that the folks on this forum LOVE fish and I was fascinated to know how you get on eating fish?

I love the taste of fish, but I avoid it as it contains so many toxic metals like mercury, that in theory a human maybe better off.

I eat fish rarely, just don't like the smell of dead fish in supermarkets or fish mongers and really don't like the taste. I don't mind flake but again eat it rarely. When I do eat fish its either stuff we have caught ourselves like reef fish, bream or flathead and then its baked. But if I get fish and chips from the take away I have to have the fish crumbed and drowned in Soy sauce.

ilove to eat fish but hate the way some fish are treated before they are killed and by anglers. i have fished all my life but i cant do it now as i just think its to cruel for me to justify myself by taking pleasure out of catching them

I would love to be able to be vegetarian. Personally, I don't think there is any need for a human to eat any type of animal. We can get all nutritients needed from plants instead.

I enjoy fish, so, I just don't eat it in the kitchen, and I cover the tank when I'm cooking it!

I'm not a fan of fish, the only fish i like is tuna, and they're heavily overfished so i rarely eat it. Plus, I did a project on the levels of mercury in the amount of fish the average human eats in a week....with bluefin tuna, eating the FDA recommended ammount renders you with almost 200% over the legal and recommended levels of mercury in your body...

Your replies are facsinating!
I know people who can't bear fish but an equal amount who love it, do you have the same experience?. Perhaps its how you are bought up and introduced to it as a food?
Am I correct in thinking that even if you like fish, if you got bones in your restaurant meal you would be disappointed?
Baccus when you say 'flake' what is that?

I didn't know about the bad chemical stuff that can be in fish, let's face it there is probably that in most things we eat, is it more in fish than other stuff? I refuse to buy organic, because I can't afford the stuff. Don't get me started on whaling, regardless if you are veggie ir not im sure we all think that is criminal to put it mildly!

MissMarie LOL!

I like eating most fish except tuna, my sister warned me off that a long time ago because of the mercury.
I do feel guilty sometimes though as one of my tanks is by the dining table,, I hope my fish can't see me eating one if their distant relatives.
I couldn't be a vegetarian, man is an omnivore & just as we try to give our fish a natural diet, then I will eat what is a natural diet for me as a human

I didn't know about the bad chemical stuff that can be in fish, let's face it there is probably that in most things we eat, is it more in fish than other stuff? I refuse to buy organic, because I can't afford the stuff. Don't get me started on whaling, regardless if you are veggie ir not im sure we all think that is criminal to put it mildly!

MissMarie LOL!

I don't want to go that way, but I'll just give an example of the toxic stuff that we come across everyday.
I presume everyone brushes their teeth, right?
Well, if you are using a tooth paste that has fluoride in it, then you are exposing yourself to a toxin which is also called the cancerous metal.
Some countries use fluoride in water treatment.
If you have dental amalgam fillings, then these leach mercury into your body and is proven.
If you use china ceramics to serve your food, then you are most likely exposing yourself to another poisonous metal called lead.
The list is long....

Only problem is that no one yet can fully test for the amount of toxins in a human body. Hair samples somewhat work, but don't give you the full picture.

im sorry but i cant live my life worrying about such things..............this boy loves a bit of bone china

If you believed everything the so called experts said, you'd never leave the house, & never eat anything you hadn't grown or produced yourself.
Yes, lots of things are bad for you, but life's too short to worry about whether your china is the right kind.
Every year some of these claims are dismissed.
Tbh if those things worry you you're probably shortening your life by stressing about them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back