easy to breed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tiger barbs look like predators if you focus on "tiger", but that's just stripes. They eat plant matter, small crustaceans and insects. On a predator's diet, they would do poorly.

Predators can be harder to breed because it's a solitary lifestyle. They come together to spawn, but a lot of them eat their young in tanks, a complication for sure.

Most small predatory fish are insectivores, and there are some that only get their veggies from the gut contents of their prey. If you are thinking small, then you won't get fish eaters. You might want to define small to you.

Dwarf Crenicichla (pike cichlids) can be easy if you get a pair. I'd consider regani, but never the very difficult compressiceps. Golden wonder killies are incredibly easy, and they are very predatory. Betta splendens is an insect predator, and it is an easy one.

Tiger barbs look like predators if you focus on "tiger", but that's just stripes. They eat plant matter, small crustaceans and insects. On a predator's diet, they would do poorly.
You're right. People mix up dominance in a tank with aggression pretty often. For those tiger barbs can become dominant. But yes, as a socalled predator, nothing will basically happen. Some chasing may happen... but that's all.

Hello again. I see the potential argument. Actually, Tiger Barbs are predatory, because they naturally prey on the eggs and fry of their own and other species. I think sometimes there's a similar argument that Tiger Barbs are schooling fish, which they aren't. They're shoaling fish. Many times they swim as a group, but their individual movements are totally random.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back