Dyed Fish Sales Not Being Outlawed In Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HOUSE OF COMMONS LONDON SW1A OAA
May 16th 2006
Dear Mr Jarvest,
I have received a reply from DEFRA, which I enclose.
This highlights an inherent problem with the EU it enables many good an important things to happen but it also creates rather pointless rigidities such as this. It would not undermine the benefits of Community membership if there was some discretion granted to member states on matters like this.
I am sorry.
PP MARK FISHER MP
With best wishes Yours sincerely

Nobel House 17 Smith Square London SW1P3JR
Telephone 08459 335577 Email [email protected] Website www.defra.gov.uk

Mark Fisher MP
House of Commons
London Our ref: 242976/FM
SW1AOAA 8 May 2006
From the Minister for Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare
Ben Bradshaw MP
Thank you for your letter of 13 March enclosing an e-mail from your constituent Mr Luke Jarvest, regarding dyed fish sales in the UK.................................................Unfortunately, the UK Government cannot unilaterally declare a trade ban on imports of dyed fish if the trade is allowed under EU law. To declare such a ban would contravene free trade rules and be illegal under EU law. If the UK attempted to enact such a ban, it would be liable to infraction proceedings by the EU Commission. The UK Government can only declare a ban if the matter concerns animal health and welfare or human health and welfare.
With best wishes,

BEN BRADSHAW
(NVESTOR IN PEOPLE
wow what a reply

Ok people, its time to get serious, if someone could draught a good letter, ( I am hopeless at writing official sounding letters) lets start sending them to our MEP's to bring up in Brussels, this issue is CLEARLY out of our own governments hands, and by the looks of thinks this is a Europe wide issue.

"contravineing free trade" I ask you!!

Thats an odd reply, the fact that it is a practice banned within the UK due to it being cruel, automatically makes it a matter of animal welfare :blink:

I think Ben Bradshaw must be getting a bit pissed off with us now :lol:

Keep it up :D

Arfie

The UK Government can only declare a ban if the matter concerns animal health and welfare or human health and welfare.

I'm sorry but what the hell it is if its not a matter of animal welfare!

Can we not just adapt the original letter to send to Brussels? Also might be worth letting PFK know about this and the Brussels idea?

Sam

hi all. i send me mp an email and this is the reply i got

Dear Alastair
I totally share your abhorrence at this practice and I will feed your
comments through to our team who are dealing with this legislation.
Thank you for writing to me on this important matter.
Malcolm Moss

so lets hope its an honest reply and some thing will get done

i got a reply a while ago but never heard anything since hes at a local recreation centre alot so i might go jump on him there im going to send the letter again too

Thanks for the draft letter for our MPs about fish dyeing
that makes it easy to write, but noting the date of the first posting of this is it still current? Has there been any movement on this issue recently? I will send one anyway, but it would be good to know that it is still needed or I guess even better to know that it isn't. The practice sounds barbaric.
DD

this is brilliant work and i will be helping towards your campaign by sending the letter to my local mp. As a newbie, this practice of dying was unknown to myself till now so thanks for bringing it to my attention as i totally disagree with it.

ive sent this letter about 10 times now mr milliband must be sick of seing my name

just sent mine off now my mp will be sick of me, i give here a bit of a hard time, about other things too

Have emailed my MP. The Problem is there are no laws to Govern theselling of dyed of fish. It is illegal to commit the act in this country (animal cruelty etc) but not illegal to sell them.

Have emailed my MP. The Problem is there are no laws to Govern theselling of dyed of fish. It is illegal to commit the act in this country (animal cruelty etc) but not illegal to sell them.

Im very glad to see that my local Dobbies garden centre aquairum section has banned all dyed fish as have all my local aquarium shops.

a great move imo :)

I didn't want to reread this whole thing, sorry but seven pages is a bit much, but I was wondering, do the GloFish fall under the category of dyed?

I am protesting NOW! HOW DARE THEY AS A NEWBIE THINS WAS JUST BOUGHT 2 MY ATENTION MY FRIEND WORKS IN A FISH PET SHOP I SHALL TELL HER NOT TO ACCEPT DYDED FISH IF WE ALL PROTEST TOGHER THAN WE CAN STOP IT NOW.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back