Dyed Fish Sales Not Being Outlawed In Uk

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I have temporarily pinned this, as I think it's a good cause. I only hope it's not too late.

well just sent off an email my mp likes to make people think hes doin a good job and normaly puts stuff like this in a pack he sends out to everyone so this might be a chance for some major publicity

Nothing recieved from my local MP by email or letter. and I went to a fish shop the other day and saw dyed albino tiger barbs.... they were horrible... iv never ever seen them in real life before.. it was sickening.

Fight the good fight my friends.

Enough complaining and letters is enough to get anything done.

Has anyone thought about a possible protest or march?

No further correspondence from my local MP, i am going to be either writing a follow-up letter or email. I have a suspicion that a letter will be taken more seriously.

Ben

:-( i didnt know this went on till i read this :-( i cant believe anyone would do this to a living creature, i will print and post this letter first thing monday (i hope i am not too late to put my point across) i feel like :-( and :sick: right now

HEY I EMAILED TO ALL MY MPS, THANKS FOR LINK LETS GET RID OF THIS
Dear MP

As my elected representative in the houses of parliament I feel I must write to you to ask for your support in getting the abhorrent practice of dying fish stopped.

The following is from an article in Practical Fishkeeping Magazine

________________________________________________________________________________

Defra has confirmed that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill will not make it illegal for shops to sell fish that have been injected or tattooed with dyes.

Many trade experts had assumed that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill, which is currently being produced by the Government, would make it possible to prosecute shops that sell aquarium fish that had been mutilated in this manner.

However, Practical Fishkeeping has now received confirmation from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill will actually do little to curb the trade in dyed fish.
Speaking on behalf of Ben Bradshaw MP, Alexandra Davies of Defra told Practical Fishkeeping: "There are no plans at present to introduce a ban on the sale of dyed fish in this country under the Animal Welfare Bill.
________________________________________________________________________________

How It’s Done
Several methods are used to alter the colour and appearance of tropical fish. Colouring fish stresses them and makes them more susceptible to disease. Young fish that are not fully grown are often stunted by the painting process.

Some methods result in mortality rates as high as 80%. Many of the survivors will have an abbreviated life span. Nine out of ten painted fish will lose their colouration within a matter of months.

Coloured Food - Young fish are fed treated foods that will temporarily tint them. Once they are no longer fed the treated food, they eventually lose their colour. Unfortunately the dye they consume can negatively affect their growth and development.

Dye Injection - Needles are used to inject dye under the skin. Because only a small area is affected, the fish must be subjected to many punctures to achieve the desired effect. The popular painted glassfish are dyed this way, using florescent coloured paints. Fish that are injected often contract infections from the punctures.

Dipping - As barbaric as dye injections seem, this practice is even worse. The fish are first put into a caustic solution that strips off their protective outer slime coating. They are then dipped in dye, or injected with dyes, after which they are dipped in another chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. This method is very stressful, and has a high mortality rate.

Let me reiterate this, out of every 100 fish treated, 80 will die, from the remaining 20 that survive 18 will lose all the false colouration within a matter of months, just 2 out of every 100 fish treated will survive and retain the colouration for any length of time and it is likely that these remaining 2 fish with have shortened lifespans.

Thankfully, this barbaric practise is illegal in this country now, but to continue to allow the import and sale of these mistreated animals will encourage the further suffering of the animals for the profits made selling to the unknowing British public.

I would like to see both the import and sale of these unfortunate creatures made illegal and the
Animal Welfare Bill is the perfect tool to accomplish this task. I would ask you as my elected representative to push for this to be incorporated in the bill.

Yours sincerely

:) I'll copy / paste and print it and send to my local MP (who's name I got on that link).

(Obviously addressed to her and signed by me ;-) )

I am relatively new to fish keeping as a hobby however i did notice about a month ago one of our local stockists did have a selection of these fish in and I was only aware to what they were due to a posting on another fish store web-site, do you think it would be appropriate to name and shame stores that are known to sell these fish?

Not really pro-active more really re-active action as from what i see here good fish keepers are appauled by this process so why would we shop at stores that sell these items.

If the stores notice changes in business surely in turn they will aim to stock fish that will attract return customers rather than detract sales? :S

im not sure if it is illigal or not in australia does anybody know how i can find out

im not sure if it is illigal or not in australia does anybody know how i can find out

The best way to find out about a nations legislation is to just check out the parlimentary web site, through this it is possible to view all current and pending laws, guidelines and court decisions good luck and hope you find out soon.

Well done carrera, if enough of these letters go in, they'll probably get fed up of hearing from us all and just add it to the next amendment anyway :lol: , there's unlikely to be any real opposition to stop it :unsure:

Sandra: Naming and shaming can't happen, PFK daren't do it due to the possible legal implications and I'm sure William wouldn't allow it on here for the same reasons, though I'm sure we all would like to it's just not possible unless you want to pay lawyers ;)

Arfie

Most reactions

Back