Dyed Fish Sales Not Being Outlawed In Uk

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i sent this letter off and heres the reply i got,

Thankyou very much for your letter of 26 June 2007 to Ben Bradshaw enclosing a copy of an e-mail from your constituent ********** who resides at**************about the dying of tropical fish. I am replying as the minister resposible for this policy area.

We are not aware that the practice of dying fish occurs in this country (uk). If this practice were to be carried out in England or Wales then it is possible that it may amount to an act of animal cruelty or a failure to enclose an animals welfare, and a prosecution could be taken under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The Act, which came into force in England on 6th April (and in Wales on 27th March)2007, also makes it an offence to mutilate an animal. The Act allows, by regulation, certain mutilations to be exempted from this prohibition where there are sound welfare or good management reasons to do so. The Mutilations (permitted Procedures)(England) Regulations 2007 came into force on 6th April and while the dying of a fish by injection or tattoo would be regarded as a mutilation it is not a practice which we consider merited an exemption from the overall prohibition.

As the report in your constituent's letter mentions, there are no plans at present to introduce a ban on the sale of dyed fish in this country under the Animal Welfare Act. The Act allows us to introduce new regulations which would cover pet vending. This would be the appropiate place to consider whether any regulations are necessary to cover the sale of dyed fish.

this letter was a copy of the reply that Jeff Rooker ( Minister for Sustainable Farming an Food, and Animal Welfare) sent Sir John Butterfill FRICS MP.

a letter that came with this copy from john Butterfill states that there is no plans to by the government to introduce a ban of selling dyed fish in the UK but they are proposing to introduce new regulations which might cover restrictions on the sale of dyed fish and that prosecutions could be taken out under the Animal Welfare Act for people who encourage the need for dyed fish.

sounds like a good start but will it happen, thats another story.

what a disgrace their doing it to angels to make them "pretty" my government have banned both importing and dying over here

Is there a difference between injected and genetically altered colored fish? I saw some fish the other day that were "genetically altered" with jelly fish dna.. so the sign said. The fish looked cool but I wanted to look into the details before I got any.

Got mine emailed

I shall try to get as many people outside the forum to consider doing this

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT they have died fish!!!!!! that is so sick how would they like it if that happend to them.I am supporting this protest 110 percent.and please could somone post a picture i just dont want to buy any.I will post it to my MP straight away.
your great Arfie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FISH lovers UNITE :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

I think the problem that may be incountered here is, as long as they are not dyed in the uk our legislation will not have to restrict the importation of these fish, only exportation, suck i know, but they government will make money off fish sales as much as anything else, with the in high demand for pretty fish it's prob not worth sending it to mp's. Unfortuanatly Mp's are just figure heads and not decision makers ( i say this as i know an MP).

However, if the fish importer could not fully provide sufficiant evidance that the fish were not dyed in the uk, they could be taken too court and shut down on a technicality. That is a more viable option as opposed to contacting an MP who's input and care for fish is a circulating conveyer belt at a sushi bar in kensington.

So my personal suggestion would be to contact the fish importers and get them to prove that the fish were dyed before the importation took place, if this cannot be proved contact an animal service establishment and log a complaint for investigation, if you have 100 people or more sign this kind of docume, it is madatory for the investigation to be launched.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Here is a copy of a letter which was posted to me in reply by my MP to a 2000-word email I sent him about the brutal practice of dying fish;

22nd May 2006

Dear Mr. Smith.
Thankyou for your email about the practice of dying fish. As a result of a mistake in my office, your letter was incorrectly filed and the first I have seen of it is today. I apologise unreservedly for this.

I understand your concern about this issua and I am grateful to you for taking the trouble to write to me. I have read the article that you enclosed with your email and others from Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. The practice undoubtedly presents a threat to the welfare of fish.

The campaign organised by Practical Fishkeeping Magazine to outlaw the practice has been very sucessful. 75% of retailers have signed up to the voluntary ban and have pledged not to sell dyed fish. As a result, dyed fish are relatively uncommon in the UK.

I realise that you are unhappy that the Animal Welfare Bill does not specifically ban the trade in dyed fish. From my understanding, the act of dying fish would constitute mutilation and is illegal under existing legislation. However, this does not outlaw the sale of dyed fish outside the UK.

DEFRA have stated that the Animal Welfare Bill allows the Government to introduce new regulations to cover animal related activities. The Government has stated that it intends to introduce regulations to cover pet vending. DEFRA believes that this would be the appropriate time to consider restrictions to cover the sale of dyed fish.

I have forwarded a copy of your email to DEFRA so that they are aware of your views. I shall, of course, write to you again when I receive a reply. In the meantime, if there are any further matters that you would like to raise, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always happy to do whatever I can to help.

Yours sincerely,
John Bercow.

I was very satisfied with my MP's wonderful reply.
Unfortunately he never wrote to me again so I beleive DEFRA must have ignored my letter.
I plan to write to him again and ask him what improvements have been made in this area.
:good:

Hi just wanted to chip in i have a neon dyed glass fish I rescued him from a pet shop that was shut down and he was 'going to be disposed' of.

It has taken a lot of time to bring his personality out so I cant help believe that he suffered....

my daughter has named him boney and he lives happily in a 400l tank with his friends.

i will be sending this on to my mp !!!!!

thank you

Hello everyone, new on here, so here to say hello and to confirm I have e-mailed the letter to, its a discusting practise and should definately be banned

im really fed up today, i went to my LFS and they had dyed parrot fish, i wont ever be going back :( i have never seen a dyed fish before and this really upset me to the point that i felt offended big time, i went in there in a good mood and came out feeling total carp
shelagh

Ever since I read the first report on dyed fish, I have been thoroughly disgusted when I saw "painted" glassfish in the stores (they're the most common type of dyed fish in the stores I've been to, I actually don't recall seeing any others). Inactivity on the subject by the majority is the reason that these fish are still sold - they're there purely to make money, and people are often unaware of the processes these fish undergo.

I agree that we need to do something to stop them - I want to take part by advising local pet stores (U.S.) about the dangers of dyed fish. They're legal here, and I reckon it's a huge problem for the innocent people who buy them, not knowing what they've gone through.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back