Dyed Fish Sales Not Being Outlawed In Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

you guys realize this is really old so if you send it in it probably will get ignored right?

and yes, the practice is still alive as my LFS every now and then gets some in but they dont sell them till the dye is gone and they get as healthy as they can

I know itĀ“s an old thread. DidnĀ“t really expect an answer. Thanks anyway.
this may be an old thread but i do think it's about time it got resurrected and we restart the fight to stop these fish from ever being allowed in our country's stores
Phil

i can't stand people who torture animals for a living; it's not cool. there are better jobs out there.

Admirable work! I have sent an email to my MP and am awaiting a reply.

I 100% agree i just don't know what an MP is or their email. I will send that letter if you could kindly tell me those things.

I 100% agree i just don't know what an MP is or their email. I will send that letter if you could kindly tell me those things.

Its your local Member of Parliament. If you follow this link (below) and type in your post code it will tell you who he/she is and some contact info.

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Its your local Member of Parliament. If you follow this link (below) and type in your post code it will tell you who he/she is and some contact info.

Simple answer. Dont buy died fish.

Simple answer. Dont buy died fish.

Doesn't quite work like that...anyone who wants the situation taken care of won't be buying them anyway.

I know this is old, but u posted yesterday. Glofish are not dyed, just implanted with a gene that makes them a certain color. Better than dye, but still arguably morally wrong

I've just made that letter look professional and sent it on to my local MP Angela Watkinson. I'll post her reply!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

I propose that we all write to our MP's to get the import and sale of dyed fish added into the bill and I have drafted a letter to use.
Dear MP

As my elected representative in the houses of parliament I feel I must write to you to ask for your support in getting the abhorrent practice of dying fish stopped.

The following is from an article in Practical Fishkeeping Magazine

________________________________________________________________________________

Defra has confirmed that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill will not make it illegal for shops to sell fish that have been injected or tattooed with dyes.

Many trade experts had assumed that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill, which is currently being produced by the Government, would make it possible to prosecute shops that sell aquarium fish that had been mutilated in this manner.

However, Practical Fishkeeping has now received confirmation from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill will actually do little to curb the trade in dyed fish.
Speaking on behalf of Ben Bradshaw MP, Alexandra Davies of Defra told Practical Fishkeeping: "There are no plans at present to introduce a ban on the sale of dyed fish in this country under the Animal Welfare Bill.
________________________________________________________________________________

How Itā€™s Done
Several methods are used to alter the colour and appearance of tropical fish. Colouring fish stresses them and makes them more susceptible to disease. Young fish that are not fully grown are often stunted by the painting process.

Some methods result in mortality rates as high as 80%. Many of the survivors will have an abbreviated life span. Nine out of ten painted fish will lose their colouration within a matter of months.

Coloured Food - Young fish are fed treated foods that will temporarily tint them. Once they are no longer fed the treated food, they eventually lose their colour. Unfortunately the dye they consume can negatively affect their growth and development.

Dye Injection - Needles are used to inject dye under the skin. Because only a small area is affected, the fish must be subjected to many punctures to achieve the desired effect. The popular painted glassfish are dyed this way, using florescent coloured paints. Fish that are injected often contract infections from the punctures.

Dipping - As barbaric as dye injections seem, this practice is even worse. The fish are first put into a caustic solution that strips off their protective outer slime coating. They are then dipped in dye, or injected with dyes, after which they are dipped in another chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. This method is very stressful, and has a high mortality rate.

Let me reiterate this, out of every 100 fish treated, 80 will die, from the remaining 20 that survive 18 will lose all the false colouration within a matter of months, just 2 out of every 100 fish treated will survive and retain the colouration for any length of time and it is likely that these remaining 2 fish with have shortened lifespans.

Thankfully, this barbaric practise is illegal in this country now, but to continue to allow the import and sale of these mistreated animals will encourage the further suffering of the animals for the profits made selling to the unknowing British public.

I would like to see both the import and sale of these unfortunate creatures made illegal and the
Animal Welfare Bill is the perfect tool to accomplish this task. I would ask you as my elected representative to push for this to be incorporated in the bill.

Yours sincerely

Please make amendments / alterations as you see fit.

You can find the contact details of your own MP by CLICKING HERE

You could print it and post it, or cut and paste it into an email as most MP's have email.

I know many members on here are also members of other forums and it would be great if we can get the support of members of all forums but as we are not allowed to name them on here, can you just check that you don't post this on another forum without checking to see if it's there already.

I don't know if it will make any difference, but I do know that doing nothing will not make any difference.

Arfie

PS, if you think it's worthy, could a mod pin this so it doesn't fall off the bottom and maybe add it onto any other subforums you see as relevant.

The links are broken, Any chance they could be updated?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back