What's new

Dwarf Ram

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
When you say Dwarf Ram, is there a scientific name you could provider? Technically all Ram Cichlids are dwarfs - so what type of variant would this be?

Bub

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Same as the German blue ram. This is a balloon variety of M. ramirezi.

Any ram that you see that isn't a standard Bolivian will be one of the M. ramirezi variants.

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
This is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Same as the German blue ram. This is a balloon variety of M. ramirezi.

Any ram that you see that isn't a standard Bolivian will be one of the M. ramirezi variants.
I thought that it was a balloon variety; I just rarely see them around my area so I was very confused!

It's a beautiful fish; I'm just not one for buying balloon varieties of fish.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
It's a fish that has a shorter than usual body shape making it look round. These fish are man-made, by breeding together those fish which had slightly shorter bodies. The fish have problems because all their internal organs are squashed up.
There are a few species of balloon fish - rams and mollies are quite common, but I've also seen images of balloon pearl gouramis.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
But please don't buy any. They do come with potential health problems.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days