What is the lifespan of rams?

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,584
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
What's the lifespan of rams (MIkrogeophagus ramirezi) when kept in warm, soft water? My understanding is they are short lived in relative terms, but I haven't kept the species for many years. The question (from @gwand ) came up in a general conversation chat here, but it's too good of one to let vanish in such a thread.
 
When I was breeding rams my longest lasting pair was 4 years.
One of my customers had 4 years also.
That is a huge exception from the normal.
For the rams I bred they mostly lasted 2-2 1/2 years.
I kept my temps 82f and bred in 100TDS water with a pH of around 7.3.
I RO ed my water and mixed back tap to get the 100.
I was known as coralbandit and the consensus was I raised some very good quality rams.
That being said most rams you get from stores opposed to breeders will be lucky to see past 1 1/2 years IME.
Not sure my water would be considered soft.
 
I just got a pair of powder blue Rams from a breeder that hatched April 25. They are in a black water tank kept at 82F, pH 6.0 and TDS of 40 ppm. I’m performing 50% weekly water changes. Fingers crossed.
 
If you hope to breed start hatching BBS.
There are a couple good reasons to do this before the spawn.
The parents will learn themselves to eat them. Great conditioner.
It is thought that part of why rams eat eggs/wigglers/fry is they sense the lack of necessary food for the fry to survive.
Whether that is true or not I don't know but through feeding fry with parents raising them I saw it took a little time, but the parents eventually learned to love them also.
Who is the breeder if you mind me asking?
 
I've got Bolivian ram, mikrogeophagus altispinosis.

Hes 5+ old and has seen better days for sure, but despite his rough look isn't slowing down behaviour wise.
20260617_215603.webp


I bought him as a subadult 5 years ago.
Screenshot_20260618_234718_Discord.webp

Given he was almost adult size when I bought him, I have no idea if he was born the year before or early that year.

My water is 5°GH and 3°KH
 
This is better than I had read. Some sources have them timing out at around 2 years. I've had wilds for about that lifespan, but I didn't keep good records to be sure, and they were full on adults both times when they arrived.
 
If you hope to breed start hatching BBS.
There are a couple good reasons to do this before the spawn.
The parents will learn themselves to eat them. Great conditioner.
It is thought that part of why rams eat eggs/wigglers/fry is they sense the lack of necessary food for the fry to survive.
Whether that is true or not I don't know but through feeding fry with parents raising them I saw it took a little time, but the parents eventually learned to love them also.
Who is the breeder if you mind me asking?
I harvest BBS 5 days a week. This is a new endeavor for me. I just started several weeks ago. The breeder was Anthony at Daku Aquatics. A very small operation.
 
It's been decades since I kept 'domestic' rams but I have had wild M. ramirezi more recently and they endured in the 1-3 years range for me. All raised from 1" juves so I pretty much had them for their lifespan.
 
I harvest BBS 5 days a week. This is a new endeavor for me. I just started several weeks ago. The breeder was Anthony at Daku Aquatics. A very small operation.
When I look back at convos with customers it turns out I sold rams to Daku I guess.
Another of my customers said when they communicated with Anthony he said he had 1 breeding pair from me and another pair from unnamed breeder that he was using.
Hopefully you got some rams with good lines there.
They are such great fish that the industry has almost ruined.
 
When I look back at convos with customers it turns out I sold rams to Daku I guess.
Another of my customers said when they communicated with Anthony he said he had 1 breeding pair from me and another pair from unnamed breeder that he was using.
Hopefully you got some rams with good lines there.
They are such great fish that the industry has almost ruined.
I hope so. I found Daku on utube. As oppose to most utube fish people he seemed to be a serious breeder operating on a small scale. He has a great looking fish room.
 
When I look back at convos with customers it turns out I sold rams to Daku I guess.
Another of my customers said when they communicated with Anthony he said he had 1 breeding pair from me and another pair from unnamed breeder that he was using.
Hopefully you got some rams with good lines there.
They are such great fish that the industry has almost ruined.
Was your store in Saratoga? Are you still in business?
 
Was your store in Saratoga? Are you still in business?
No store just carried away~!
I had around 80 tanks in my fish room[ in my basement] ranging from2g to 120g.
This is me and the room with tons of rams.
There should be some useful info in my vids as I try to help others enjoy fish as much as I do.
Richesfishes did a nice video also. He came up to Saratoga for a wedding and made a side trip to visit me and get some fish.


Found this searching for Riches video;

Copilot Search Branding





Most Rams I’ve Ever Seen — Fish Room Tour​

If you’re looking for a visual and immersive experience of the “most Rams” you’ve ever seen, one standout is the Coral Bandit Fish Room Tour on YouTube, where the host showcases an extraordinary collection of German Blue Rams in a single tank YouTubeYouTube.

In this video, the fish room is described as having not only the best Rams I’ve ever seen, but also the highest concentration of beautiful fish in one place. The German Blue Rams are prized for their striking blue coloration, elegant fins, and peaceful demeanor, making them a favorite among aquarium enthusiasts.

The tour highlights the tank’s design, lighting, and water quality, which contribute to the Rams’ vibrant appearance. It’s a great example of how proper care and environment can make fish look their absolute best.

If you want to see it for yourself, you can watch the Coral Bandit Fish Room Tour on YouTube, where the host walks through the tank, showing off the Rams and other species in stunning detail YouTube


As of now I have my 180g tank running and no breeding fish besides a large colony of Super Red BNP in the 180 that just won't stop.
The whole room came about from being laid off one winter for the first time in my life.
I just could not sit idle and was really getting into fish and breeding heavy.
Swordtails and Rams are my passion.
 
No store just carried away~!
I had around 80 tanks in my fish room[ in my basement] ranging from2g to 120g.
This is me and the room with tons of rams.
There should be some useful info in my vids as I try to help others enjoy fish as much as I do.
Richesfishes did a nice video also. He came up to Saratoga for a wedding and made a side trip to visit me and get some fish.


Found this searching for Riches video;
Copilot Search Branding




Most Rams I’ve Ever Seen — Fish Room Tour​

If you’re looking for a visual and immersive experience of the “most Rams” you’ve ever seen, one standout is the Coral Bandit Fish Room Tour on YouTube, where the host showcases an extraordinary collection of German Blue Rams in a single tank YouTubeYouTube.

In this video, the fish room is described as having not only the best Rams I’ve ever seen, but also the highest concentration of beautiful fish in one place. The German Blue Rams are prized for their striking blue coloration, elegant fins, and peaceful demeanor, making them a favorite among aquarium enthusiasts.

The tour highlights the tank’s design, lighting, and water quality, which contribute to the Rams’ vibrant appearance. It’s a great example of how proper care and environment can make fish look their absolute best.

If you want to see it for yourself, you can watch the Coral Bandit Fish Room Tour on YouTube, where the host walks through the tank, showing off the Rams and other species in stunning detail YouTube


As of now I have my 180g tank running and no breeding fish besides a large colony of Super Red BNP in the 180 that just won't stop.
The whole room came about from being laid off one winter for the first time in my life.
I just could not sit idle and was really getting into fish and breeding heavy.
Swordtails and Rams are my passion.

That is amazing. Do you still keep Rams?
 
Thanks~!
No no rams.
In my head I see the room returning when I get ready to retire.
Maybe sooner?
For now my work schedule is just too demanding for me to properly do what I was doing.
 
Thanks~!
No no rams.
In my head I see the room returning when I get ready to retire.
Maybe sooner?
For now my work schedule is just too demanding for me to properly do what I was doing.
At what age do Rams spawn? BTW I lived in Saratoga for three years in the early 70s.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top