Dwarf Gourami Loosing color??? HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yea for the light mines on about 10-12 hours a day which keeps the temp nice and warm... cant take the heater out though... when i get the water up to level again thats where he rests neways... id say maybe if you can split them up because then if one has something that another dosent and you treat for it then you may be exposing the one that didnt to it... know what i mean? medicating for soemthing that isnt there really... not a good idea in fish or humans *stupid doctor* neways... id say split up sick fishys if possible

rykitten has this thread in the bag :wub: :flex: right on, girl!

All I can add is, you definately need a filter, either a hang on back or a small internal or external filter. I can only imagine how much one of those would cost there!!! :eek:

also, what do you feed them? Try to offer a wide variety of frozen & dry foods and your fish will be tough as nails. Maybe mince up some garlic and see if they'll take it (only try a crumb at a time just in case they don't!) Garlic does amazing things for the immune system and you'd be surprised at how many fish foods contain it. :)

Hi again guys!

Fish seem to be doing good. I went to my lfs and was looking at the sailfin mollies and I noticed their fins under their bellies looked like mine....remember I wrote I thought it looked like fungus was growing on mine? guess it isn't guess thats how they are supposed to look. Been doing the water changes still....how long should I keep up with those?

Rykitten...I wrote to the website you gave me...but I haven't gotten a reply from them yet :sad: I want to order a bunch of stuff from them. Their prices are sooo good compared to here!!

I was thinking of making a new post..asking people how many fish can live comfortably in a 22 US gallon tank? I've been looking on here and and I did my calculations with my measurements and supposobly I can have 30 inches of fish in my tank. This is what I have right now:

1 dwarf gourami
1 kissing gourami
6 guppies (2 male, 4 female)
2 swordfish (male, female)
2 sailfin mollies (both boys)
1 pleco (really small)
2 white mollies
1 baby swordfish fry (sooo cute)

That's 16 fish....I was reading what other people have in there 20 gallon tanks (mine is 22 because the front glass is curved)...and 1 person I saw had really similar things to what I have...cept he had 21 fish in his 20 gallon. If I do have too many fish right now....does that mean I just have to keep up the water changes more frequently til I move the guppies? Or do I even have to move my guppies?

Eventually maybe in a month or 2 I am going to buy a 20 gallon Hex tank and put my guppies in there. :D

wuvmybetta...yes I feed a wide variety of foods to my little fishies:)) I give them flakes, wafers, bloodworms occasionally and veggies occasionally.

I appriciate all your help!!!

Elisabeth

Hi again,

I messed up my calculations...I thought I had a 22 US gallon tank...and actually when I went to www.cidadevirtual.pt

with the calculations of:

TANK DIMENSIONS
Length Hight Width
Centimeters 80.00 40.00 31.00
Inches 31.52 15.76 12.21

VOLUME
Liters 99.20
Gallons 26.19

I found out I have a 26 US gallon tank....so I think I'm ok with having 16 fish??

Sorry for the confusion!!!!! :no:

Just wanted to update everyone...

I took my kissing gourami and my dwarf gourami to my lfs today...because was told the gourami gets really big and needs at least a 55 gallon tank...and also I read the dwarf grouami likes to have a mate. So I decided sadly :byebye: to get rid of them. I feel better now because I don't think I'm overcrowded anymore.

I was thinking though of getting another swordtail pair though...because another person on here said that her 1 male swordtail was always harassing the female swordtail..and I am starting to notice that is whats happening with mine too...he likes to display to her a lot.

Do you think it would be ok to add 2 swordtails?

My tank seems to be fine now...been keeping up the water changes everyday...no sickly fish anymore...everyone seems happy. (cross my fingers) :*)

Oh also...I don't think I mentioned in this post..that I found out I don't have sailfin mollies...they are actually called lyretail mollies. I am happy as I found out they stay much smaller than sailfins!!!!

So in my 26 gallon tank I have:

6 guppies (3male,3 female)
2 silver/white mollies (male and female I think)
2 swordtails (male,female)
2 orange lyretail mollies
1 mollie fry in breeding net
1 small pleco (grows to only 4-5 inches)

I think I can add 2 more swordtails safely?? I saw these beautiful ones at my lfs yesterday....they were black...but all the scales were like opal...I loved them!!

Let me know what you guys think!!

:thumbs:

Sorry I dont have 3 male and 3 female guppies...I have 4 females and 2 males.
Don't know why I wrote that!! STRESS :lol:

I'm glad to hear the gouramis went back, they really weren't cut out for that tank :/ You did the right thing :nod: Maybe you should start a new post asking about the additional mollies in the livebearer section, I really can't advise because I've never kept them. I don't think it would be a problem but it's best to check with the folks who know. Personally, I wouldn't add anything else until you get your filter situation taken care of. Livebearers tend to poo a lot :blink: :lol:

Wuvmybetta...how come the filter I have right now it's ok?
I was told at the store that this filter would take care of everything??...hmmm :crazy:

I am just taking a look at the box now....it just says internal filter for 100-150 litres...adjustable flow control...adjstable air flow...easy to clean and operate..

This is like the only kind of filter they have here in Sweden..the interal kind....I have seen undergrounds...but none of the ones you typically see in the states that hang over the side of the tank.

Thanks for your help...I'll post a new topic about the swordtails in the livebearer section:))

:thumbs:

For some reason I'm picturing a little bitty kinda-useless filter like I have in my fry tanks :lol: :*) Your filter could very well be sufficient :thumbs: I didn't mean to alarm you ;)

:lol:
No no...I know what your talking about....your talking about the 5.99 wal-mart style ones:))

Mine is pretty big...cost around 50 US....and was told is pleanty sufficient for my tank. I think these are the normal filters here in Sweden...

I believe it's perfect...it does a remarkable job...waters always crystal clear:)

1 thing I'll ask you though...is how can you get rid of algae?? I was going to buy some of this rid algae type stuff...but didnt know if that would mess up my tank? Yesterday I just took some paper towel and wiped the front of the glass..it was covered in green algae..not really too visible to the naked eye but when I wiped there was lots of it. I know theres cleaner things for the glass..and I'm going to get one of those...but how about for the plants and stuff? I see the thread algae on one of my live plants.

:) Thanks so much for all your help...I really apprciate it!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back