Dwarf Gourami Loosing color??? HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there,
My little dwarf gourami seems to be loosing it's bright orange coloring. Does anyone know what this means??

I'm really worried!! :/ :sad:

Thanks, Lis

Usually if fish lose their color something is wrong. They can be sick or are stressed because they are kept wrong.

So can you tell a little bit more?
Tank size, other inhabitants, plants, food, how often do you do waterchanges, the water parameters like temp and pH.
Are there anyother symptoms except for the color loss?

I think it may have had something to do with the ich meds you were using, Elisabeth.If it's in the same tank of course. Is it eating, acting normally?

Hi there,

Yeah it's in the same 22 gallon tank. I think your probably right about the ich meds. This moring it was hanging around at the bottom of the tank and I was certain it was ready to die....but then when I fed them it picked up completely and was swimming fine...and eating. There is nothing else physically wrong with it. No spots, rips, tears etc. I posted another message in the emergency section today as I noticed my swordtail pooping out clear thin stringy poop as well as scraping herself on the gravel. I was told that most likely it's just bad water conditions and to keep up the daily water changes and to not use any meds. I added a teaspoon of salt earlier today after the 30% water change.

I just think my fish are stressed in their new home. I'm going to just continue the water changes and pray. I'm going to stop using all meds.

If I was one of my fish I'd be happy in the tank. It's 22 gallons with a mixture of about 14 plastic and live plants with a little rock and a piece of drift wood which I boiled before hand to get the brown color out..as I read it contained acid? Anyways there are pleanty of hiding places and I have:

1 kissing gourami (1 died)
2 dwarf gouramies (1 sick)
2 male sailfin mollies (1 appears to have cotton fin fugus)
2 swordfish
1 sucker fish
2 white mollies
3 small guppies

I didn't add all of these at the same time either although now that I've read about things I didn't cycle the tank and I got too many fish at one time. LFS are not helpful to newcomers..I was told doing all of this was fine and correct....but now I know better and feel real bad for my fish!!! I just home everything works itself out!!

While I was treating for ich I had the temp on 28-29...but I've decided to stop raising the temp and leave it on 26-27. I don't want to keep changing the temp as I've read that can stress fish out too and make them more vulnerable to diseaes?

I actually dont know the parameters right now...but went to my LFS today and asked them if they did water tests and they said they would be happy to run tests for free so tomorrow I am going to take in a sample.

Wuvmybetta....do you think what I am doing is correct? Stop meds...keep temp on 26-27? and do daily 30-40% water changes? and just hope? How long should I do the daily water changes??? My tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks now.

Oh yes feeding...I feed tropical flakes as well as algae wafers broken up. Sometimes frozen bloodworms...sometimes veggies like cucumber, lettuce etc.

These fish are more spoiled than myself!! They stress me out though!!

Well Thanks for all your help..I appriciate it so much!! :nod:

Elisabeth,

Looks to me like you are doing everything you can do at this point. I went through the exact same problems you are having because I didn't know about tank cycling.

Continue with the daily water changes until you get a test kit of your own. You said in your previous post that you've had the tank up and running for 6 weeks. Is that six weeks with or without fish? If that's with fish, your tank should be cycled, although it may take a bit longer with the daily water changes. Test your water daily and you'll be able to tell when it's cycled.

Once your water parameters improve you may want to add some Melafix. Rather than add 3 or 4 meds for the different symptoms, Melafix is a general tonic that will help them heal after the water quality is improved. Keep adding salt with your water changes.

Is the ich gone? It's very important to make sure the water you add to the tank is the same temp. as the tank water. I didn't know this and that is how my tank contracted ich. :*)

The most important aspect of fishkeeping in my opinion is the water quality. Once you have that down, everything else falls into place.

F.Y.I. I lost 6 fish during the cycling process. :( Just keep your fingers crossed and keep doing what you're doing.

Hi again,
I've had the tank running 6 weeks....5 weeks with fish.

Melafix...I have no idea what that would be called here in Sweden and if they even have it.... :no: Can you order stuff like that on-line??

Sadly this morning my little gourmi died....no visible signs of anything...just the pale coloring and maybe a little skinny.

I believe the Ich is gone.....I see no salt like spots on the fish. I do however see bigger white spots on the end of my kissing gouramies tail??

I try to make sure the temp of the water I add to the tank is the same temp....but I dont know how to get it exactly?

With the water changes....will my fish be able to fight off the sicknesses?? Or am I doomed if I dont use medications?

Is the rubbing on the gravel maybe do to the bad water? I read that I think if it's the ammonia? it bothers them where they can rub like that?

Thanks for your help!
Will be leaving soon to my LFS with a water sample.
Will write when I know the results!!
Elisabeth :D

:(

I'm sorry to hear that Elisabeth. I believe there may be more going on in your tank than meets the eye. Obviously your tank is still in a cycle. To understand the cycling process read here. Did you add all the fish at once, or little by little? Either way, I'm sure your tank is trying it's best to support that fish load, but even for a well established 22 gallon, that's a lot of fish, some of which are very messy.

Meds... -_- . You have taken the carbon out of your filter during medications,right?
What kind of big white spots, fuzzy and cottony?

rubbing and flicking is definately from bad water in your situation. Can you take a water sample to your lfs and have them do an ammonia nitrite and nitrate test for you? They'll usually do it for free. Investing in your own test kit is worthwhile too.(just scrolled down and noticed you said you'd have it tested today, good!)

Ich is in all tanks, it's everywhere. It only attacks a fish when they're stressed so right now you need to try and ease the stress on your fish. There's a product called bio-spira that claims to instantly cycle a tank, it's expensive but you may want to look into something like that,theres several brands of bacteria in a bottle, I'm not sure what's available in your area. Ask tomorrow when you're at the lfs. If they don't have it, perhaps they'll give you a handful of established gravel, you can hang it in your tank in a sock or stocking and it will feed off of your ammonia and nitrite and spread good bacteria all over your tank.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, it's all typical newbie stuff so don't worry, it happens to everybody. You'll get through it (and hopefully your fish will too!) Keep on top of your water changes, maybe 30%,but don't gravel vac too much or too deep right now, let the bacteria grow.

:blink: Just wanted to add quick...that I took a water sample to my LFS this morning...and how dumb is this? They are out of tests....and it was yesterday that they told me to bring in a sample today. Hmmm!!!

They said they will be getting in new tests wednesday....I don't know what to do. Might have to take a drive to another town and get the water tested.

Wuvmybetta I bought fish 2 different times...I think 6 each time (was told this was absolutely fine) hmmm!! Was even told the fish I was buying would go good together...now from you I think I read mollies really like salt....yet the suckers cant handle much of it....

I don't have carbon thingy in my filter...actually I've never used a filter like this before...I come from Michigan so I'm used to the bio wheel...and whisper filters. This one sits compleatly inside the tank....there is a plastic cover and inside there is the tube filter thing with a sponge like thing over that. Theres no carbon in it what so ever.

Right now....on my large kissing gourmi there are 2 bigger white spots on his tail. They dont appear to be fuzzy...just on his fins...smooth looking. Also on my swordfish on the end of her tail theres the same kinda film just on the edges of her tail. It's been there for about 3 days...doesnt appear to be getting worse...in fact it looks better today. Theres no shreds...or tears. The only fuzzy stuff I notice is on my male sailfin mollie...on his stomach the thread like fins that hang down...his seems to be cottony...but it doesnt seem to bother him...

I've been watching them more often and I notice..my kissing gourmi is pacing the front of the glass a lot?? Also noticed yesterday some of the fish breathing at the top...although it was about 10 mins after I fed them...so maybe they were just skimming for leftovers as today that isnt happening.

I did the water change yesterday..will do another 30% today. None of the fish have been scratching for the past 2 days....although like I said...I did do another treatment about 3 days ago....but I've stopped doing treatments altogether now.

I think I've damaged my cycle as well....as I thought vaccuming the gravel good was a good thing..getting rid of old foods that were making the water bad and such...but I think maybe while vaccuming I probably got rid of a lot good stuff too :-( I also had been rinsing my filter in tap water...and read that kills all good bateria...so I've now been rinsing it in a little bucket of tank water. I don't rinse it too often....maybe once every 2 weeks.

Well I can tell you one thing...I'm a lot wiser now!! Hopefully by the end of this all I will know exactly how to care for an aquarium!! I am so glad I found this forum though I can tell you!! You don't know how many hours I sat here searching on the net trying to find answers!!! :blink:

Say if I did find out my Nitrite, Nitrate or Ammonia was high...what would I be doing? The same thing...just water changes?? I dont know if I'll be able to get over to another pet shop.

Thanks for being so so so helpful!!!!! :nod:

Sorry your fishy didn't make it :-(

Are there any other stores you could a buy a test from? They aren't too expensive, I think I paid under $10.

From your description is sounds like you have a sponge filter. These are biological filters that hold the bacteria but don't mechanically filter your water.

I would highly recommend Melafix based on my experience. My swordtail's tail disintergrated completely during the cycle and he had a hole in his back. Melafix worked wonders in a matter of days. He is completely healed now although he has some scars. It's natural (made from Tea Tree oil) and it really works.

When you find out your water parameters, you'll have a few options. People have differing opinions about adding stuff to the water so I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

There are some products that are supposed to be able to rid your aquarium of ammonia and nitrates. There are products and methods to lower your p H levels. I've read many posts on this forum that say these products don't work. In my opinion just keep doing what your doing. Water changes to rid the tank of all that extra ammonia and/or nitrates is probably the easiest, cheapest and safest thing for your fish.

Good luck, keep us posted and if you have any more questions please don't be shy! :)

You should be able to order Melafix online.

For water changes, I just use the inside of my wrist to test. Fingers work well too.

Water changes are good for your fish. It's like breathing really fresh clean air. Your fish are not necessarily doomed without meds, but may need them to kick the diseases they have now. Once they are healthy again, you won't need to add anything to your tank besides fresh water.

Thanks for your support! :thumbs:

I just now did a 30% water change and added some salt.

What I'd really like to know is though is if either of you know a place on-line that sells the Melafix as well as test kits?? I don't even know if chemicals like that can be imported. Hmmm :/

You would be so shocked to know the prices of test kits here in Sweden. Just for a Ph kit without ph up or down it was around 40 US. I would imagine the Nitrite,Nitrate, Ammonia kit would be lots more!! I remember seeing a multi test kit that was around 200 US. I'd love to come back to the states just to do some shopping!!! :nod: $10 for a test kit is so cheap!!! What does the Melafix cure?? just about everything??

I do use my fingers to test the water...I kinda go back and forth and see if theres any differences.

Do you think I should add some fungus meds...or just sit back and wait and see if the fish can fight it off themselves? I know the salt really helps....even says on the box...helps fight parasites and fungus.

I don't want to sound dumb but when you say my filter doesn't mechanically filter my water...what do you mean?

I think I'll just keep doing the water changes...I don't want to add lots of chemicals...as I've read that can mess up your water a lot. Would you recommend just the water changes and salt if you were in my position?

Oh also I noticed today that my female swordfish was pooping half normal poop as well as some clear/whitish poop...does that mean shes getting better? Because before she was just pooping stringy clear/whitish poop.

Also how often should I have the aquarium light on? I usually keep it on a couple of hours and then turn it off for a couple of hours..and of course at night I turn it off. Just wondering because I read that light can stress them...as well as heat the water up too much.

Lots of questions I know!!!!....I just want to learn as much as I can!! :D

Thanks to the both of you!!!! ;)

I will look on-line and see if I can find a place that will ship Melafix and a test kit internationally. Sweden, right?

Here is what the Melafix bottle says:
"Antibacterial Remedy for Fresh and Saltwater Aquarium Fish. Rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds. Fin & Tail Rot, Open Red Sores, Open Body Wounds, Eye Cloud, Pop Eye, Body Slime and Mouth Fungus." Here's what it looks like:
Melafix.jpg

Their website is www.aquariumpharm.com and telephone is 800-847-0659.

Wow! That is a lot of money! Maybe you could contact Snowie, another member here on the forums. I believe she is from Sweden too. :) Maybe she knows of a place where you could find one for less.

It's hard to say whether your fish have fungus or fin rot. Seems to me like you don't really want to add more meds but will if it's necessary. I don't want to tell you what do to because it's your choice, but if I were in your position, I would probably add Melafix and see if that helped. The problem is really with your water, not your fish. If you treat them with another harsh med, it could weaken them even further and leave them open to other diseases. It's up to you, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

A mechanical filter is a filter that sucks water through a sponge and/or carbon to remove stuff from the water. A biological filter is a usually just a sponge that collects the good bacteria that will eat the ammonia, and does not remove anything from the water. And you don't sound dumb. I didn't know any of this until I came here. This site has helped me so much.

White/stringy poop is an indication of internal parasites (so I've read.) But don't be alarmed because my swordtail had this in the beginning too. I was going to treat for parasites but decided against it. This was 6 months ago. I think maybe it's just a side effect of the stress he's going through. I'd give it some time and just keep watching.

My fish tank is at work. I have the light on almost all day, in total probably about 7 hours. My fish light at home is only on for about 4 hours. This is one of the things you'll have to figure out on your own because everyone will tell you something different.

You're welcome! It feels good to have the knowledge to be able to help someone . . .

Elisabeth,

I found a store that will ship to you!!!

It's called Petmeister and their web address is http://www.petmeister.com/

The guy I spoke with was really nice. His name is Hymie. He said shipping is usually about $6 within the U.S. and they'll add on another $5 for shipping to Sweden.

I searched the site and they have a variety of tests and Melafix too!

He said that you need to have a U.S. based credit card or a paypal account. He said Paypal would be the easiest way to go and you are protected if something happens to the shipment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back