Dru's Malawi Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Silly Sue, using inches (per gallon?) on cichlids :no:

I like the colours of the new fish, still not sure I'd setup a Malawi lake tank though.

:lol: That's my point exactly! How overstocked it is going to be!

But the good news: The Bismarks are starting to venture out a little to see what's what.

good grief :sick:

1 the inch per gallon rule....ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? thats like, I'm 5.3 so I could live in a 63 gallon tank

or an oscar @ 12 inches would be fine in a 12 gallon?? oooo wait... Cyphotilapia Kapampa in a 15 gallon

see where I'm going here? The inch per gallon rule is so antiquated I couldnt believe when I read your post.

as for Dru's tank... yea yea sure what works for one...I'm all for that but your not taking into account the feeding habits of say the duboisi - Herbivore are you? Forgive me if you are and I've missed the post.

and what about these new fish you bought on a whim? your Pseudotroph is a conspecific HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE herbivore, yea, good luck w/ that one.... :unsure:

the Tropheops, well lets just group them with the Pseudos because their as mean, as nasty herbivores too are you looking for a blood bath? lmao

the only saving grace is the cynotilapia, nice little fish you could have gone with a tank full of these guys and had better success...

I've seen bubble gum bought with more thought of course my daughter can be obsessive :lol: :lol: .

good luck, (crosses fingers things will be ok.) -_-

Excuse me, Tatoodfishfan, please try to read posts with some insight. Did I at any time say that I thought the inch per gallon rule was an appropriate measure for the fronts? What is your justification for yelling at me? Please pm me in the future if you want to jump on me about something. And if you are genuine, then ask me what I think and address me with some respect, before you presume to have a go at me. :X

"I'm 5.3 so I could live in a 63 gallon tank"
Are you comparing fish w/people? By this logic a fish should not be kept in water. I cannot possibly debate Africans with you. I am in this forum to learn, not get yelled at. I am willing to be corrected, and hear an argument, but again please address me with respect.

:-( No fussin at jayjay for calling you silly?? :dunno:

Please reread my post yourself, no where was there any "yelling" no "jumping" Hop off the cross, someone else could use the wood.

There is no argument to be heard, plain and simple the inch per gallon rule is offensively wrong and ignorant and..ANTIQUATED like I said, meaning it's an antiquated way of thinking and ignorant if not cruel. Whats surprising to me is it's so, basic, common sense, plain as day, that to entertain the thought of keeping a fish that is say, 15 inches at adult age (like fronts can get) in a 15 gallon is cruel and inhumane.

No disrespect just an Education :good: :D

jayjay and I have had some conversations. It's a "Smile when you say that, Stranger" thing. Sorry, if I misunderstood. In my world "all caps" is considered yelling. My post was a light hearted poking fun at myself, not a support for the 1" per gallon rule. I believe my response to jayjay indicated that. But as far as the 1" per gallon goes, I believe I could easily use that plus some with my neons...and my cories. I have much more than 1" per gallon in my cory tanks and my community tank. They do fine, thankyou. Again I say, ask what I think before you jump on me.

I have not raised Zaire Moba fronts to full size, but most that I have read has the males at 12" and the females smaller.

I will upgrade the tank if needed or thin the stock. Again, rude and disrespectful addresses do not teach or instruct well. I did not hear instruction. Restating an opinion does not make it fact, no matter how insistently it is said.

Isn't it strange how two people can read the same post and come out with two entirely different understandings. I mostly read capitals as an emphasis on a word so it's not lost in the post not as shouting. Whole sentances of capitals is shouting.

I thought tattoedfishfan's post made a lot of sense. Ho hum

Wouldn't it be better to debate this subject on a completely new thread instead of this one?

Agreed, Cheffi. But did you notice that a whole sentence addressed to me was all in caps?

<<< good grief :sick:
1 the inch per gallon rule....ARE YOU KIDDING ME????>>>

So I will agree to leave Dru's thread alone now. :blush:

yeah, leave this thread to the poor choice of fish i've got :D :blink:

All the fish in the tank are fed spirulina algae flake so the herbivores and all the fish don't suffer, the only difference is for the petricolas which use wafers which the 'regular' fish don't take a blind bit of interest.

@Tattooman

Your Daughter must thourougly research her bubblegum purchases then, cuase other wise you have no right to 'think' what research I've done - where you with me ? no , have you been by my side for the last 18 months? no, then please don't say things like that where you 'think' that is the case..

As for buying on a whim, certainly not, I research all fish prior to purchasing and although i had not thought i was going to buy these fish (as i did not know they would have them) i have reasearched them thouroughly prior to this trip.. :D but thanks for your concern,

so, what works for one person does not work for another thats fine, but unless there is like one lone voice against a million, then you go on your experience imho :D

Oh by the way, i'm looking for a nice flavoured bubblegum that will last for ages, could you ask your daugther for her professinoal input? lol :)

I also can not get over the fact that people still not see the 'thinning down' in the future as the fish grow, i'm sure it's mentioned at least once on each page :good:

I'll let everyone know how these boys get on, so far the galleriya reef has fought the demasoni for one prime bit of real estate (the dual angle corner plot semi-detached sharing with mister Acei :D )

The problem will come in 6 months when i need to start thinning down, which ones :sad: I LOVE THEM ALL :D

Thats just it, thinning down when? When their adults and are acting to their genetic code and too aggressive for the other tankmates you have in there? So you dump them off at a lfs to become someone elses problem? Some one buys them cuz their "pretty" (not meaning you but you know it happens) and they take them home to run amok on existing tanks.

Why is anyone here if not to learn from others mistakes? Or do we just sit back and watch you make mistakes blindly ? A little bit of both I suppose but then why are we expected to put up with people comming in crying over dead fish and not allowed to get testy and frusterated at them?

It's a viscous cycle I guess :dunno:

*pulls gum from under desk...here ya go, my kid said this one suits you :p :yahoo:

:big_boss: Jollysue, Adjust your glasses woman there was no yelling so stop being the martyr no one is buying your game :grr: .

As I said, Dru, I like your Red Cheek couple. Just call me a romantic. :wub:

<<<Tatoodfishfan: Please, as I asked before, PM me if you have anything else personal that you want to say to me or names you want to call me>>>

well, when they grow a bit, the average fish in my tank is only 2" so they are hardly adults yet :good:

i'm not in my own opinion making any mistakes about this, what is wrong with sourcing good fish and then, once they grow selling or passing them on to other malawi enthusiasts who are desperate to add good quality stock to their existing setup, where i am in the UK there is little or no good supplies of Malawis locally, i have to drive 400KM round trips to get fish.

again you have jumped to the wrong conclusions about what i'm going to do with them, why not for once, ask questions before assuming that whatever pops into your head is a done deal :/

@Jolly

Thanks, i must admit i fell for these ages ago but there is little good stock of them here in the UK, and when i saw them i jst knew they were for me, all i need to do know is source another good supply of them so that i can increase the group size and make sure that any fry produced are of mixed blood and are an assist to the hobby rather than a hinderence :D

Can you tell your daughter thanks, but i'm kind of a hygeinic guy and would prefer if the gum was new and unused :D

Sorry for using your thread Dru, I'll talk about the tanks for you in a minute.

Tattoodfishfan, Sue knows I wasn't being offensive and ask for one's intentions before saying they are wrong.

Dru, back to the fish, how much rock is in there, a weight if possible. Also are the other new fish doing well? How much were they and sizes? (Sorry if you've already said).

Sorry for using your thread Dru, I'll talk about the tanks for you in a minute.

Tattoodfishfan, Sue knows I wasn't being offensive and ask for one's intentions before saying they are wrong.

Dru, back to the fish, how much rock is in there, a weight if possible. Also are the other new fish doing well? How much were they and sizes? (Sorry if you've already said).

In the tank is 3 x 25KG bags of Ocean Rock , sold at £15 per bag of 25KG from a guy in WSM.

The new fish are doing well they are:

All are WC fish

1 Trio Pseudotropheus sp. "Zebra Long Pelvic" (Galeriya reef) (deal at £20)
1 Pair Tropheops sp. "Red Cheek" (Chizumulu Islands) (£25)
1 Pair Cynotilapia sp. "Mbamba" (Mpanga) (£20 from £40)

sorry guys, but due to circumstances beyond my control over certain postings i feel that i no longer will be posting on this forum.

i hope my visit here was seen by most as fairly posative experience, despite if my opinions would somethings come across in a way that certain people could perhaps find upsetting.

bye bye all and maybe catch you around on different forums where things are a little bit more relaxed and easy going and certain people don't bite your head off if you have a differnece of opinion.

good luck with all of your african and malawi setups :D

All the best

Dru.

Most reactions

trending

Back