Dru's Malawi Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Druchii

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Some info for people to see about my fish :hey:

I have been keeping Malawi Cichlids for a little over 18 months, having got into them accidently when i went to buy a second hand tank to start a community tank.

The first tank i owned was a Vision 180
I went through all manner of rocks and substrates and settled on a format that I'm happy with, namely Ocean Rocks and Kiln Dried Sand

My stock of fish quickly grew, as did the need for additional filtration, so i used a Fluval 404 external to run along side the interal Juwel one.

I'm very lucky to live in a High pH, hard water area where the tap water only needs conditioning prior to putting in the tank.

I now have got a Vision 260 tank which has no internal filter, but runs a pair of Fluval External ones as I'm high up on stocking levels.

This said I perform a once a week 25% water change and have no issues with water stats, aggression or sickness.

HAve a look at the pictures below, normally the tank has a black back ground, but recently I've not had it on whilst I've been snapping with the phone, afterall it does not have a flash, so struggles to tank any decent phot's

Anyhow - here goes...

A shot of the tank..
5_10_2006.jpg

A closer shot of the tank
6_10_2006.jpg

A 'Group shot' - showing the limits my camera has :oops:

group.jpg

Then onto some of my fishes..

My Trav
untitled.jpg

My Fullie
DSC00142.jpg

My Yellow Lab
DSC00139.jpg

Kingsizei Likoma Male and Female
kingsizeiMale1.jpg

kingsizeiFemale1.jpg

My Red Top Zebra/Mbenjii/Greshaki Whatever you wanna call it :oops:
Redtopzebra3.jpg

My Elongatus Mpangas (think they are both male)
mpanga1.jpg

mpanga3.jpg

mpangas4.jpg

My Demasoni who's got his groove on
demasoni1.jpg

My Pride and Joy my Saulosi's, including a WC male and female
SaulosiWCMale5.jpg

SaulosiWCMale1small.jpg

SaulosiWCFemale5.jpg

SaulosiTBFemale3.jpg

SaulosiWCFemale6.jpg

Stocking List
1 Calvus Black
2 Cyrtocara Moorii
3 Labeotropheus trewavasae
1 Labeotropheus OB
5 Labidochromis caeruleus
3 Labidochromis Hongi
3 Maylandia Estherae
1 Metraclima Callanious Pearl
1 Mel Johanni Male
3 Ps. Acei Ngara
2 Ps. Demasoni
2 Ps. Elongatus Mpanga WC PAIR
1 Ps.Greshaki?? thingy mebob :lol:
5 Ps. Kingsizei Likoma
6 Ps.Salousi WC PAIR :good:
1 Tropheus Duboisi

CLEAN UP CREW
10 Synodontis Petricola 8 x F1
2 Ancistrus Bristlenose

but most of all i hope you people like the pics :D

greats pics :good: the tank looks lovely as well. wish i could get mine lookin decent lol

those pics are amazing, tank is awsum, a great thing to cheer you up on a bad day :good:

one i want my tank to transform into something like that :D

lets hope - 2 of mine are wild and the other 4 are tank bred - hopefully they will be the foil for the WC pair to get it on :good:

Stunning, Dru!

Great photos of stunning fish in an awsome tank. Please come do my rocks. I'll even let you pick out some new ones and give you some Java fern and moss.

Well,

Update on the tank, the two WC Ps.Elongatus Mpangas are definately both males, but the 300 mile round trip to go and replace one with a female is just not worth it :sad:

So it looks like i'll have to see how they get on in the same tank together...

other points of note my Likoma fry are at the 1.5"-2" range and as they are mixed bloodlines i should be able to keep a few for the tank and move the others on...

Has anyone had experience with Lab. Mbambas?

I bought some juves off a guy and they have kinda stopped growing at about the 1.5" mark, I bought these 4 months ago and now regret it....

The Malawi hobby is one of the worst addictions i know, you search for ever to get the fish you want, you then find them, buy them and then decide 4 months later that they were not quite what you thought or wanted etc etc and end up passing them on to get even more fish which are your next flavour of the month :lol: :lol: :lol: or at least thats what i've been doing for the past 18 months...

I dread to think how many fish i've actually bought and then sold on (most at a loss :sad: :lol: :sad: :lol: )

Has anyone guessed what my latest flavour of the month is??

Yep it's Saulosi :D

I'm now on the look out for people with F1 fry if anyone know anyone etc etc :good:
(UK only of course :lol: )

Also, got the workmen coming around next week, and it looks like the power will be off for a few hours - anyone had this done before? will this be ok?

I'm thinking i can get around it by not feeding for a few days prior to the day of the power cut and also the day before doing my weekly water change - does this sound like a good idea??

if your really worried hire a generator or run an extension from next door.

The rest of your post sounds very familiar, I have real problems getting fish unless i go wild caught hence why i have 11 of them.

Where abouts in the uk are you

I know that often when fish are shipped thay are fasted for at least a few days. I imagine it depends on the fish as to how long. I really can't imagin that if the tank has a fresh water change and the fish are fasted , they would be damaged by going a few hours without a filter running. They go for days when shipped. But perhaps I not taking into account something I should.

Of course an extension from a neighbor is perfect.

I know that often when fish are shipped thay are fasted for at least a few days. I imagine it depends on the fish as to how long. I really can't imagin that if the tank has a fresh water change and the fish are fasted , they would be damaged by going a few hours without a filter running. They go for days when shipped. But perhaps I not taking into account something I should.

Of course an extension from a neighbor is perfect.

What a good idea - i forgot about that option :D

I'll go around now with a bottle of wine, they will not be able to say no :hey: :hey:

I'm down the South West in Somerset :hyper:

ya know all that tank needs is a nice big livingstonii to finish it off :hyper:

looking good bud, gis a call when you want my livingstonii :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back