Dropsy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Unicorn123

Reaction score
Hi I recently got a fancy goldfish and I have her in a 50 gallon tank with a filter and air stones. I got her 3 weeks ago, from when I first got her in the mail she was unbalanced and went up to surface a lot. I thought it was swimmers blatter but now I am thinking that it is dropsy because her scales are looking as though they are lifted up. I'm not certain that this is dropsy or I am just being over precarious because this is my baby and we have really bonded. I really need an experts help because this is my first goldfish.

IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG

Here are some pictures to help, she is a butterfly telescope if that helps.

Unfortunately, dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease in itself (a bit like back pain or stomach ache in humans), so it can be difficult to work out what might have caused it, and it's also very difficult to treat.

Is it a 50 gallon or a 50 litre tank? A 50 gallon would be abut four feet long and 18 inches tall or wide. Have you got tests kits for the water? Is the tank cycled? How often do you do water changes and what percentage do you usually change?

The main courses of treatment you can try are daily 50% water changes and adding some aquarium salt to the tank, but I feel I should warn you that the most common cause of dropsy is organ failure, so you might lose this fish :/

Yes it is a 50 gallon. The tank is cycled. I do 25-30 water changes every week. I have been testing the water almost every day because I noticed she got sick and every this is how it's supposed to be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, etc. I added epsem salt in the water last night but I didn't want to proceed with the treatment until I for sure knew it was dropsy.
Does it look like dropsy to you?

Yes, I'm certain it is dropsy; the 'pinecone' look is very distinctive.

Having said that, the fish doesn't look too bad, so it's worth treating. Epsom salt is a good a treatment as any.

She still has her appitie and is swimming around ok I am hoping she pulls though. Thank you for your time this really helped.

Make sure you go easy on the feeding; I'd actually be inclined not to feed at all for at least three or four days; it won't do the fish any harm, and might help reduce the strain on the fish's system.

Ok I'll try fasting her for 3-4 days along with treatment. Also on the bottom of her head she has some dark green/black spots and I'm not sure if it's realated to the dropsy or not. I couldn't find anything like it online.
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG

That looks like normal colouration to me, I don't think it's anything to worry about x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back