Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 3 star.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 2 star.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1 star.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know. I did use Seachem Excel and Flourish but stopped about a year ago. This tank has never had any. Only thing I can grow is Anubias, anacharis, and amazon sword. Everything else dies in me.

Last edited:
Lol, thats pretty much the same thing with! Everything I grow dies on me! :lol:

That picture Byron posted is the plant I'm thinking of. And as he and Deanasue have noted goldfish do eat it. Well, more power to you for your success but I'm going to continue my search for some Vallisneria and leave the anacharis alone. Byron noted that anacharis was an invasive plant in some areas. We have a lake here in western Montana (Georgetown Lake) that is clogged with it.

Yes, Anacharis is in invasive plant, commonly found in ponds, or lakes. Is the plant “Hydrilla” related to Anacharis? I have a TON in my pond out bad, and it is so invasive! Naturally I would never put it in my tank, I’m just wondering if it is related. :)

Hydrilla and Elodia are different species but look very similar. We can't keep Elodia in Australia but we can keep Hyrdilla

what do you mean by safe?

It's just an aquatic plant like Elodia, it's fine for fish, shrimp, snails, and seems to tolerate warm water better than Elodia does.

If you have a pond in your backyard with guppies or goldfish in, yes you can take it from there and put it in your tank. But if you are getting it from a wild river, creek, lake or pond that has water birds and wild fish, then I would quarantine it for a month before adding it to the tank. Just rinse the plants well before putting them in a quarantine tank and change all the water a couple of times a week during the 4 week quarantine period. While they are in quarantine, check for snails and insects/ insect larvae.

Thank you! Yes, I meant from a pond with Bass, blue gill, etc. :)

Thank you! Yes, I meant from a pond with Bass, blue gill, etc. :)

Do not put any plants from wild watercourses in a tropical fish tank. It is obviously very different in Australia where Colin lives (at least I assume so), but nothing from North American watercourses should be put in a tropical fish tank. And vice-versa, never discharge living organisms from tropical fish tanks into the natural ecosystem. I've already explained why elsewhere. This is a very dangerous risk.

Most reactions

Back