Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 3 star.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 2 star.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1 star.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All my anubias are attached to wood. Like Java fern the rhizome will rot if it is covered.

Thank you @essjay!

Also, I have another problem. I have this piece of nice driftwood, and it is not sinking. It is currently soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of tap water. It has been soaking for over 1 week, and is still floating, how do I get it to sink faster, so I can put it in my tank? :)

One of my bits of wood took three weeks to sink. You could fasten some rock to it, or place the rock on top of the wood till it stays down by itself.

Ok, thank you! :)

I just put a pretty heavy rock on it, and now it’s time to wait! :lol:

I tried to take pics of my Anubias glued to rocks but couldn’t post. My rocks are smooth.

Set your cameras resolution to the lowest setting, then try to post it. :)

(Or, if you have an apple device, resize it in photos.) :)

1CDD467F-62E2-44A1-BEFF-C9C033D4D0D9.jpeg

There we go! I thought Anubias was supposed to be darker...? :)

Lol! I actually lightened the picture with edit so you could see the roots growing down.

Oh! Gotta! I just mainly new that they where supposed to be darker, is because I watch James Findely aquascaping. :)

That sand may be deep enough to form sulfur pockets - definitely not something you want. I agree with reducing the depth - otherwise you need to make sure you give it a good stir weekly.

How does a sulfur pocket form? Sorry, I'm quite new to this hobby.

I believe that sulfur pockets form, when a layer of sand has trapped air bubbles in it, and when a piece of fececs gets stuck in the pocket, it "breaks down" and forms "Sulfur Pockets". These pockets can be deadly to fish, if a bottom dweller (especially Cory Cats) disturb the sand, and "Break Open" the pocket. The sulfur then leaches out into the tank, and might kill your fish. That is why many beginner fish keepers use gravel, because is safer. If you do have sand, you need to disturb your sand at least once a week, to "Break open" the pocket. :)

Or get some Malaysian trumpet snails. They live in the substrate during the day and are very good at tunnelling through sand which stops pockets building up.

Do they take over really quickly? @Deanause is sending me some MTS, and I was wondering if they will, and can reproduce in freshwater. (The only reason that I'm asking, is because the only other snails I have had experience with, have been Nerite snails, and I know they can't reproduce in freshwater.:))

(But am I correct on how Sulfur pockets form @essjay? I don't want to give @Bettapuppy incorrect information.:))

Most reactions

Back