Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 3 star.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 2 star.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1 star.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anacharis is a common name (meaning, not the scientific name of the species) of the stem plant Egeria densa. It is native to south eastern Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, but has been introduced to many countries in North America, Africa, Asia, Europe and Australia/New Zealand. It is considered an invasive weed in many areas.

It will grow in water that is soft to hard, acidic to basic; but its preference in temperature is temperate rather than tropical. It usually does not last long at normal (warmer) tropical aquarium temperatures. This is one reason it has thrived in temperate regions. It is often used with goldfish.

Anacharis / Egeria densa will fall apart fairly quickly at tropical temperatures. Save it for the goldfish.

Interesting. Mine grows like crazy in all of my tanks, even my betta tank. I have black thumbs too. Now, my female goldies eat it like salad but the males just let their’s float. Crazy!

I have kept Anacharis for a long time, and I have always kept it in tropical tanks, and it has done just fine. Why do you think it is "cold water" only plant @seangee? :)

Byron and Seangee confirm my experience. If you can keep it going in tropical water I'd sure like to know your secret.
If it was grown in warm water it should be ok. Those that succeed either live in warm climates or bought it midsummer.

I live in Kentucky (USA), and it is about 80-90 degrees here in the summer, and in the winter, an easy 20 is degrees. :)

I keep my tank water around 78 degrees F, and mine do just fine. :)

Byron and Seangee confirm my experience. If you can keep it going in tropical water I'd sure like to know your secret.

It has been years since I tried this plant. I know we had it in the goldfish bowl when I was growing up (1950-60's) and other than the fish nibbling it it did well so far as I can recall.

I may have tried it in the 1980's or 1990's but it likely didn't do well, but that could have been as much light and very soft water as temp, or all three. Stem plants generally do not grow in my tanks because I refuse to have bright light, I insist on floating plants which reduces the light further, and if this isn't enough of a set-back the very soft water may finish it. I try plants and stay with what grows in my conditions, that is all one can do if one is more geared to the needs of the fish as I certainly am.

A thought occurs to me, and that is whether everyone is on the same page as to this "Anacharis." So here is a photo of the true plant under this common name (which can refer to anything the user wants really) which is Egeria densa.

Attachments

• Egeria densa1.jpg
    Egeria densa1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Egeria densa2.jpg
    Egeria densa2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 74
And do you personally own that @Byron? :)

Those plants in the photo you mean...no, they are photos off the internet for illustration. As I said, this plant will not grow in my tanks.

Gotta! I pretty much only keep Anacharis, because you really can't kill it! :lol:

Wow! Do you use root tabs, or liquid fert? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back