do you fast your male betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They may use another part of the brain for those things, something we haven't thought of yet.
That's hypothetically possible - I'd like to imagine that most living creatures feel emotions of some shade, since emotions are usually tied to survival instincts of some kind - fear is a fantastic motivator in most creatures!

However, it isn't scientifically proven, and there's a danger in ascribing human emotions onto our fish. The amount of people I've seen describe their fish as happy and playful, when the fish was actually stressed and dying.... we're not always great at reading the emotions or motivations of other humans, let alone other animals.

As @Byron has stated far more eloquently than I can, the best we can do is to replicate their natural environment as closely as possible, and hope that the fish are content with that.

If fish don't have emotions, then they don't feel pain as pain is an emotion, therefore it reasons you can do anything to your fish, because they don't feel anything.

I don't believe this statement; I believe we just don't know what fish feel or think.

If fish don't have emotions, then they don't feel pain as pain is an emotion, therefore it reasons you can do anything to your fish, because they don't feel anything.

I don't believe this statement; I believe we just don't know what fish feel or think.

Pain isn't an emotion though. It's a physiological response to stimulus.

Indeed...physical pain

There exists emotional/psychological "pain", as well, that the lower vertebrates do not experience.
I will always think that "Charlie" (The Oscar) died of a broken heart when his companion passed away, I think he thought there was no purpose to his life anymore. Cichlids are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

I will always think that "Charlie" (The Oscar) died of a broken heart when his companion passed away, I think he thought there was no purpose to his life anymore. Cichlids are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

I’m going to create a separate debate thread for this topic one moment

I wasnt buying the - its meant to help clean up uneaten food.
it's a gut/ digestive thing for those who are a bit more experimental with feeding 'meaty' food,
I was reading an academic paper recently that said fish like omelettes (No, seriously)
anyone tried that ?
I know you can feed fry egg pushed through a towel?

Omelette I dunno lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back