Do Rams Play Nicely With Other Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sic0198

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Are Rams aggressive to other fish? If I get 2, will they be nice to each other and their friends?

not at all..
i have just bought some ram cichlid..
and i have small tetra and guppies that would be susceptible to harassment..
but they get on fine..and have no problems with any other fish..

I assume they get aggressive when they have babies, so it a problem when kept with other fish?

That's probably true, although my "pair" haven't spawned yet so I don't know for sure.

I don't think they will hurt other fish though.

What other fish in the tank? Size of tank?

Usually rams are fairly peaceful to each other and other fish, they can be territorial and can chase each other or other fish that come near their chosen area, its mostly bluff though.

When they breed they will chase other fish away from their spawning ground but they rarely do much harm under normal conidtions and are usually very peaceful.

Do these and Angwls get along. I ask this because both can be territoral.

They'll be going ib a 28 gallon, and yes it is 18 or so inches high.

2 angels
2 rams
honey gourami [should these be kept in a school/shoal of 6 or more?]
snail

Will these get along in there?

Should be fine, Id be more worried about the rams if the angels spawn rather than the other way around.

Gourami can be kept singularly, no need for shoals, in fact best alone or one male to 2/3 females.

2 angelsw
2 rams or 2 dwarf cockatoos
1 honey gourami
1 Snail

1 BN Pleco
6 Razboras
6 shrimp

Would this be too much for a 29?

Gourami can be kept singularly, no need for shoals, in fact best alone or one male to 2/3 females.

Not Honey Gouramis, or Sparkling, they need groups.. Infact a lot of Gouraimis enjoy others of there own speicies.
However I would agree with you if we were talking about Dwarf Gouramis.

Not Honey Gouramis, or Sparkling, they need groups.. Infact a lot of Gouraimis enjoy others of there own speicies.
However I would agree with you if we were talking about Dwarf Gouramis.

How many should be kept together?

Sorry, which ones?
Dwarf Gouramis I agree with 1 male to 2-3 female.
The Honey Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis would be much happier in a group of 5.
Goldens, Opaline and Pearls do well in 3s. Obviously, the more the better as long as the tank can house them properly. :)

I have a very territorial male Blue balloon ram. He is a jerk to everyone. He chases the Keyholes the rasboras he even tries to to push my Clown pleco around. He does not hurt them or scare them he is just constantly chasing them when ever he sees them get too close to the bottom of the tank. Not rams are like my Jerk. They should be peaceful but my Ram thinks the world is his and no one better come near his stuff.

The other fish just move out of his way. I think his behaviour bothers me more then the other fish.

So yeah they should play nice with others but hope you don't get a big bully like I did. Each fish has it's own personality I got a bully.

I am going to be moving him to his very own 10 Gal tank with no other fish. I think he might like that better. He needs his own space. I almost feel like he is stressing himself out more then the other fish. I would also like to be able to watch my other fish with out him chasing them off.

Like I said it's just my luck I got a crazy bully fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back