Do I cycle for new sponges and sintered glass?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Habu

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a well established 170 litre aquarium. I have an external canister filter with sponges and sintered glass that are getting on a bit. I now have new sponges and sintered glass filter media so can I just swap out the old for new or will I need to cycle the filter at all?
Cheers
Habu

Change a bit at a time rather than all at once. If the tank has been running long enough for the media to disintegrate you will have bacteria everywhere in the tank as well as in the filter. And if you have live plants there won't be many bacteria anyway. But change a bit of media then more a month later to be on the safe side.

Hello all. I have a well established 170 litre aquarium. I have an external canister filter with sponges and sintered glass that are getting on a bit. I now have new sponges and sintered glass filter media so can I just swap out the old for new or will I need to cycle the filter at all? Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
Cheers
Habu
A sponge filter is pretty nice because it stays in the water and if the power goes out you do not lose your cycle. It’s a comfortable flow not too strong so you can have different kind of fish and species in with the sponge filter. The thing is there not so quiet, they bubble or at least mine does! You also need a air pump and air line tubing to go with it

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back